Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure about the colouring... best leave that for Diane... Hey Diane?? SPOTS!!!

hope that you are feeling better soon
default_smile.png
what a horrible time to get that done
default_sad.png
and I'm sorry that it went wrong... hope all is well soon good luck for foaling!!!

p.s how do you get the horse in your avatar pics mane so white!!! lol

I just read through the whole thread and saw that you lost the one foal... I'm so glad that Vicky (I sure hope I remembered her name right!) is doing as well as she is. My ONLY foaling experience was with a QH mare that had had 3 babys prior to me owning her. She even went in to labor ON her due date. Everything went beautiful up until she just up and stopped labor. When I talked to the vet the next day, he was saying it must have been colic. I insisted that it wasn't colic to the point that he finally said that he'd come out and induce her while he was there. I knew something was wrong. My gut told me that the foal was too big. I had even had a dream that only half of the baby was born months earlier...

The vet induced her, she went into labor again and quit. So he induced her again. The foals feet appeared but then she quit again. The vet had me bring her into the clinic to sedate her so that he could help deliver that baby. I left when she started nickering to teh baby that wasn't coming out. At that point, it was still alive. It was so heart breaking. After a while, he came out and told me that I was right, the foal WAS too big, but the baby had died. He had to cut the foal out to save the mother... My 14 hh QH had a 100+ lb. baby. It should have been about 80 lbs.

So, here I am with a maiden miniature horse trying again for a foal 10 yrs. later. I'm terrified, but I'm so grateful to this forum. I've learned so much. Especially that there is still hope. I know my experience wasn't the same, because it wasn't a mini. You are right. There's something about a mini that one can't avoid. They weasel into your heart and never leave! This baby means 20 times to me than that baby did, even though that one would've been worth over 10x what this one is worth. To me, its worth can't be measured with money...

I pray the rest of your mini's foal textbook. Yeah, that's in our wildest dreams! Mini's don't follow books. With that in mind, I pray all mommas and babies come out of this happy, healthy, and alive!

Thank you all! Yes, the dentist visit didn't go well at all lol. For some reason he only numbed my cheek...suffice it to say that it wasn't quite enough. Oh well, getting better every day!

Yes, it was tough losing our first two foals. When I was in the QH, Paint and Appy breeding world, we foaled out all kinds of mares, including a 17hh halter mare that acted like she was going to die giving birth to a 58lb foal. We named the foal Nugget, and he never reached 14 hands hahaha. I have foaled out hundreds of big mares, but mini's are a whole new ball game. I too am SO thankful for this forum, it's both supportive and reassuring, and everyone is so knowledgeable and helpful!

The mare in my avatar is Trixie, a 31 inch silver dapple pinto. But I think the pic is a bit deceiving as the sun was going down and the light kind of shone on her. The mane and tail are both more of a dusky color. Then again, Trixie always photographs well lol.

So, just curious, any thoughts as to why Vickie only had a lilac color right before delivery or rather the fetotomy? I just want to learn everything I possibly can so I can help these girls out!
default_yes.gif
Thank you all!!!
default_rolleyes.gif

its quite common for a mare to go VERY red behind just before foaling as the baby pushes on those parts causing pressure which increases the blood hence the colour change... the going lilac part has me a bit confused... I honestly am not sure about it sorry. maybe give your vet a call just to check? I sure want everything to go well for you with the next foals you have so I think its best to check with them if you can just to ease your mind (and ours
default_smile.png
)

I would say the pigment on the black mare on that sight was closer to our dark grulla mare, but Midnight is several shades lighter. Vickie is a palomino that is also dark skinned. Is it possible to not see dark red inside the vulva in a maiden mare? I SWEAR, Vickie had a light purple color, it never got very dark. But it was also a bad distocia.

Today all three girls have shown a great deal of udder development. They are all now between 40-60% full so we're getting excited!

Okey dokey! more progress with the girls, mostly slow but steady. Babydoll is at 327 days, and lookin' good. Her vulva is so relaxed that when I open it I can see in much farther(sorry that's kinda gross haha). Her tail head is soft all around her tail. No major color change to the vulva, just a shade darker so more of a rosy color. I think when she's been laying down for a while seems to be when the lilac color shows. Her udder is 50% and harder, milk is a little sticky but can only get a few drops. It was an amber color, now it's clear-opaque. And I don't know if you can see them, but she has big ole veins popping out along the bottom of her stomach. What do you guys think of her V and everything else?

Lastly, I added pics of the other two due now for fun-I don't see anything to worry about just yet...

I want these babies to come sooooo badly, who cares about the color or gender! Just bouncing baby foals!!!!
default_pray.gif

DSCF5244.JPG

DSCF5248.JPG

DSCF5249.JPG

DSCF5250.JPG

DSCF5245.JPG

DSCF5246.JPG

DSCF5247.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like your making progress

let me caution you the maidens may not show many signs

our maiden this year was not very relaxed nor did she have hardly any bag just a little

she foaled at 326 days. Any mare can be sneaky but maidens can be even worse

I was going to put the buzzer on her the night after she foaled

so lucky we caught it. I should say my husband caught it

Prayers that the rest of your foaling season is a happy and healthy one

Hello all! We're having a beautiful day here, but Babydoll is NOT feeling it at all. She's miserable. Not rolling, not walking, just standing in a corner of her turnout lot looking like she may not even know where she is anymore. I checked her female parts and had a few surprises. Namely though, the inside of her vulva. I want to make sure we have everything ready, and I especially want to be there for her. All we care about is a healthy foal after such a tragic start to the year. What does everyone think of her today?

Thank you all, as always you're awesome, supportive and extremely funny to boot!
default_worshippy.gif

DSCF5254.JPG

DSCF5252.JPG

DSCF5251.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm still new at this, so don't take my opinion to the bank!! BUT... To me when I first looked at the picture of her side it "looks" front of center like Diane calls it. I could almost see the babies position for some strange reason, I'm sure I am totally wrong, I don't want to make you nervous. Diane!!! Am I wrong??

Thanks so much! I'm just learning with these mini's myself! They are so different from their larger counterparts, so I'm trying to get up to speed as much as I can! It's so NERVE WRACKING!!!!
default_frusty.gif

Here is a pic from behind. She looks lopsided because she's got a hip cocked....she refuses to stand up straight today lol.

DSCF5253.JPG

Well done Mindy!! Tummy will still move a bit further forward and she needs to do a bit more shopping to separate those teats, but all that could happen quickly!
default_yes.gif

We finally have our first foal! After almost NO labor symptoms, Onyx had a 3 minute delivery and popped out a very healthy filly like it was no big deal. Our signs were pawing, laying down one time then back up, and some muscle twitching and yawning. Her milk had tested at 7.6 4 hours earlier, there was NO vulva color change and it was not fully relaxed, and while her tail head was soft, it was by no means pointy.

This filly is a dream come true! She appears to be a silver black, but could be a smokey black. She has a strong silver sheen to her body, black mane and tail. Mama is a silver bay, daddy is black.

Her name is Blazing Stars Black Velvet, and her coat is velvety. She's so sweet, and Onyx is the best mama ever. After such a tragic start to the year, we feel truly blessed.

Pics to come soon!

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

She sounds like a sneaky mare -- so you'll know what to expect next time -- and I can't WAIT to see the pictures of the little beauty!!

Her signs of pawing, laying down one time then back up, and some muscle twitching and yawning are all good signs. Her milk testing at 7.6 only 4 hours earlier is why we watch that pH. That is SOME drop in 4 hours! More than I've ever had here -- so she's set a new record for the Nutty Nursery as well!

Back