Bow's 2015 Foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huge shoutout to Bow for laying down, contracting for a half hour, stand up, and then continue eating hay.

She saw you watching and decided to wait for a bit, but likely won't be terribly long.

Lol I've been watching all day and night.

She seemed to start into stage 1 of labor around noon/one o'clock when she started to paw, urinate/deficate often, gassy, sweating around shoulders, and showed colic signs. She laid down around 3ish and stood up around 4:20 and has been eating since.

I won't be leaving until she foals.

I dont know what's going on.

Her pH is where it needs to be, milk is a sticky, cloudy yellow, baby is up in the flanks finally, vulva is relaxed, etc. Everything is perfect, and still no baby.

Aargh.

Well it can't be because I'm there, because I've left her unattended multiple times today for an hour each time. She's had plenty of chances.

She's had a 6.2 pH since yesterday morning. What's the longest you've heard a made go with that low of a pH?

I also messaged a few large horse breeders and asked them some questions, and they said that she's not ready if her milk is yellow still and they wondered if I was testing properly. Input?

I know on two of our mares their milk turned a cloudy white within hours of delivering. Another mare I checked at 9pm, her milk was amber color. Minimal looseness in vulva. She woke me up at midnight foaling. I've heard people who have tested their mares milk as ready and the mare didn't foal for two to three days later. Just hang in there.

Day 3 at 6.2 pH. No change in anything.

322 days and still at 6.2 pH, 51 hours at it.

Kicking/biting belly, rubbing tail, pooping and peeing often, etc. Appetite has not changed.

I do have a question on her urine. Since she's been urinating more often, her urine has a very strong ammonia smell. Is this caused by her going so often?

Milk also seems like its a lot less yellow in my hand, kinda like its clearer?

Pictures:

Bow 322 dys3.jpg

Bow 322 days2.jpg

Bow 322 days3.jpg

pH from this morning. My phone is crap and for some reason the color doesn't show well. It is 6.2, it was a very light orange in person.

Bow 322 days1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From the picture looking from behind, baby is still very much sideways. She needs to get more slab-sided. Might be why she is kicking/biting at sides because baby is trying to move into position.

Well, she's rolling now and sitting down and rubbing. So she's trying. She has access to a block and lots of water.

Hopefully soon though

Don't get happy. I pH'd her and she came up around 7.5-8. Twice.

I bought new strips and ph'd her as 6 and then again as 7.5-8.

I'll test her again in a few hours. I still think that her milk is getting a hair lighter in color though.

PH is a definite 8, bright freaking red. And milk is salty.

Okay, sides have fallen in again so her rolling has worked.

Pics:

Bow 322 days n1.jpg

Bow 322 days n3.jpg

Bow 322 days n2.jpg

pH pictures:

Bow 322 days n4.jpg

Bow 322 days n5.jpg

Earlier this AM it was yellow, 6.2. This afternoon it was BRIGHT RED, 8, and now its turning red and trying to rapidly change color and is turning white. Input?

I think we're making some slow progress.

Her milk I think has lightened up and has more of a creamier look to it.

Bow 322 nn1.jpg

Her pH is back to where it was earlier this week where it was red, nor was it orange.

Bow 322 nn2.jpg

I can also tell physically that baby has shifted. Before hand I had a decent "shelf" right before her udder where I could lightly push on and baby would move/react. Now, the shelf is completely gone.

Alrighty, just went out to check pH again. Here's an overview of today's changes.

Bow ph test results collage 322.jpg

Back