Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. I wanted to give and update on our girls. First off, Vickie and Pearl, our mares that lost their foals, are looking great. Vickie especially, as she was pretty bad off after her awful delivery.

Onyx (granddaughter of Patton and a silver bay) is at day 306 now. Non pregnant, she is the sweetest little thing, so easy going. All the little kids ride her bareback. But now, she's such a grump! She attacks her food rather violently, she doesn't want to be touched and gets irritated with me when I check her lol. So far, no signs of a bag, or tailhead/vulva changes.

Babydoll (Buckeroo, Bond and a palomino) is at day 305 now. She is a retired show mare, and has had at least two foals. She has been super mellow the last few days, when normally she is my super grump lol. Right now she has these big, soft, sweet eyes and is politely eating her food. She's the one that knocks her bucket down, slings it around, paws the ground lol. But she's in the zone I guess lol. Now other signs though.

Midnight (Cherie Pretty Boy, Grulla) is our maiden and is at 300 days today. No signs, other than her belly seems to have dropped. No vulva changes, no bag, no softened tailhead yet.

I'm curious, have you all had foals at this gestational age, and have you had a mare just lay down and have a foal without a bag, without a relaxed vulva, no color change inside? These mini's are tough!

I will post pics later on today, but I'm so curious to hear what others have gone through with surprise babies.

Thank you!!!
default_yes.gif

I just saw this one, I'm so sorry for your loses, as the others have said this happens to all of us. We are only human and seems sometimes that no matter how hard we try Mother Nature is against us. I lost my heart horse mare in 2008 to a bad dystocia, the vet tried for over four hours to save her as the foal was lost, but in the end she passed as well. It is great you still have your beloved mares and can try again. Good luck with your other expectant ladies.

There are lots more people on here with more (and better) foaling experience than we have had, but as I understand it, maidens can sometimes foal without a bag. Our only maiden (up until this year) foaled in 2009 at 303 days, with a slight bag, and 5 days after our horrible experience with a fetomomy. He was our dream foal (and lots of other people, including judges seemed to agree with us), and the only reason we didn't just give up breeding. Keep that thought....

Our other mares (all with previous foals) foaled with full bags. I also test the milk and find that sticky milk usually means they will foal within 24 hours. You can also buy milk test strips to do it a bit more precisely. If you have time, you might want to re-read threads on this forum from last year to follow progress..

Some mares will foal with very little udder, as Mary said it is usually maidens but you will notice a change in vulva and colour. If you know your mares well you will usually see some behaviour differences. They tend to wander away from the group, some lose their appetite. I had one that would follow me around like a shadow the day she foaled.

Good to hear your mares are recovering well. Big hugs for them. This is my first year for babies as well and so far I've learn't that you can't rely on the "normal" to actually happen haha. Both my mares are maidens, and one I have a 4 month range of when she couldv'e been covered. She had a jelly butt and loose tail a month back and now its all hard so really, I'm now quite sure they're just determined to make me watch and wait till I go mental! lol

So glad to hear that Vickie and Pearl have recovered now. Good luck with your other girls - please keep us posted.
default_yes.gif

Ok, finally got some pics, and other than copious amounts of hair, not a lot appears to be going on.

First is Onyx, at day 307. No bag change at all, no other signs.

DSCF5168.JPGDSCF5170.JPGDSCF5171.JPG

Next is Babydoll, at day 306. No changes, but she certainly has the biggest belly. She's usually my cranky one but she's Mrs. Mellow now.

DSCF5165.JPGDSCF5166.JPGDSCF5167.JPG

Finally is Midnight, our nutty little fruitcake who is now 301 days. She is a rescue, though she is double registered she was not well treated for the first three years of her life. Now signs yet of foaling.

DSCF5173.JPGDSCF5172.JPGDSCF5175.JPG

What do you guys think of them? Thanks!!!!

Just for fun here's a few pics of Onyx without her winter woolies and baby belly, lol. She has a very nice neck when she's not holding her head up in the air lol. Do you agree or disagree that she is a Silver Bay? Her papers list her as a chestnut...but it doesn't seem quite right with her leg color being so dark and having that sooty color in her mane.

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

Hello all! We have an update on Miss Babydoll. I would LOVE your opinions, because I'm out of my comfort zone with these mini's! Babydoll is about 310 days along and tonight, her udder has only a slight amount of development from yesterday and no milk can be squeezed out. She has only a slight amount of softening in the tail head area and has less tail clamp but definitely has some. But the thing is, when I checked her vulva, it was HUGE, had lengthened so much and after looking inside I can see about 3/4 of the inside is no longer pale pink but a nice rosy color and kind of streaky. So I moved her into a stall with the cameras and checked her again and she was able to pucker it up quite a bit. When I say it's longer I mean more than an inch! Her pucker reflex only last for a little bit then it dropped back down. She also has a V to her belly, no foal movement and when applying to both sides of her flanks at the same time, I can't feel the baby at all.

She's still hoovering her food like a pro!

Would LOVE some feedback ladies-you've all seen so much it would be very helpful!

Thanks!

hi I'm a little late, but sorry for your losses I hope that the rest of your babies come through perfectly
default_smile.png

with regards to the post above I would be watching her just in case... at 310 days it is possible for her to foal... if she is a maiden she could pull a sneaky on you... I would go out every few hours and check to make sure she isn't developing a bag or milk...

with regards to the vulva, yes it could be the foal coming on it could also be the position of the foal putting more pressure on that area (which could mean foal is in position ready for the birthing which could take a while yet...) its so hard to know especially with a maiden... all I could really say is to watch her.

some mares won't eat before foaling but like Amanda's mare who foaled the other day she ate her breakfast, finished it then maybe a minute later was down having that baby! lol they like to keep us guessing...

how is her poop? before she foals she will most likely have lots of soft mushy poop as she will be "cleaning out' ready for the baby...

I'm sure the others will give you good advice as well
default_smile.png

good luck and safe foaling!

I would also be watching her closely. Any changes in vulva colour can be a 'warning' sign - in the good sense! Things could change very quickly within a few days or the next week, you never know. She could suddenly fill that udder or may wait until actually foaling to do it. Watch for any changes in her usual behaviour too. Checking on her throughout the night is good, but, as I said on another thread, once that vulva turns to that deep bllod red, then i would not leave her unattended for more than 5 to 10 minutes - just time for making a cuppa or for a loo visit!!

Also use your gut instinct! Take the time to just watch her - especially during the evening - and see and feel what your gut tells you. It may seem silly, but gut instinct does work and improves with practice!! I always use it, alongside all the other signs, sometimes I have been wrong and have sat up all night with no foal to show for it, but I dont mind as to be there at the birth is the most important thing I can do for my girls. Mostly I have been right and have been right there to help another precious little person into the world - and yes, often with the mare stuffing her face on her hay as she gives birth! LOL!!

Good luck, keep us posted on her progress.
default_yes.gif

Update on Babydoll plus pics! This morning I discovered what looks like a small part of the mucous plug. It's a bloody streak of mucous inside the top of her vulva. Still no bag, and only moderate tailhead softening. She still has a soft tail clamp but one none the less. Not much of a bag at all and can't get any milk. Here are her pics, what do ya'll think?

DSCF5199.JPG

DSCF5200.JPG

DSCF5195.JPG

DSCF5197.JPG

DSCF5201.JPG

With those teats already pointing straight down her udder could fill easily and suddenly. Her tummy doesn't look quite ready - baby needs to move a little bit more forward, but again this could happen quickly. I wouldn't worry about not getting any milk (we never try for milk anyway!), but continue to keep a really close eye on her - she might decide to make you wait a while yet, or she might suddenly decide to get everything into position over the next few days!!

I am in love with your pretty ponies <3 I am also relieved to find another belly about as big as my mare's! Midnight's behind photo is similar to Kota's please keep the pics coming they are very useful for comparing progress ;) looks like they're all coming along nicely for you!

Hello all! I haven't been on too much as I had a tooth extraction that went very wrong. :bye-sadI have a ways to go before I'm better. But I wanted to give an update on the girls. Onyx and Babydoll are at 321-322 days and have been uncomfortable. Udders are 35% full. But Midnight, our last maiden mare of the year, is 316 days and just today her bag went from almost nothing to 40% with a lot of firm edema inside the udder and protruding milk veins. Her vulva is much more relaxed. She's very flighty and has strong vulva pucker normally lol. Now she just can't pucker! Also, when Vickie was in labor(also a maiden), the inside of her vulva turned pale lilac and she was trying to deliver but couldn't due to distocia. Anyway, Midnight is getting that same lilac color too. Any thought???
default_new_shocked.gif

Back