What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took me awhile to decide on what to fix tonight, seems I'm in a funky mood and don't feel like cooking. I love to cook but lately haven't felt like it, I think it is this weather with all the ups and downs in temps. and the snow, seems it never stops. Finally decided on meatloaf with roasted potatoes haven't decided on the veggie yet. I do have to make banana bread as I have some over ripe ones but I need to go to the country store and get some flour, I'm out.

Last night I pulled out the bar-b-q and we had grilled brats for dinner with skillet potatoes and baked beans. Even though it was freezing cold and had snowed in the morning, it was still really good. Makes me want warmer weather.

It's going to be a little hectic today, so dinner's all about easy. Some frozen fish fillets, boxed pasta and a couple canned veggies. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like that kind of thing. For sure, I'm not a picky eater
default_biggrin.png

H made the hash brown potatoes and scrambled eggs with diced ham last night. It was very good. I think he really dislikes having to come home and cook. I will be glad to have my hand back in use so I can take that chore back over again for him (though I am enjoying eating someone else's cooking! LOL!).

And there is nothing planned for tonight. Maybe he won't mind doing the chicken noodle soup again and the crescent rolls. I should get something out of the freezer to thaw for tomorrow night .

Ended up pulling out some cube steaks and cooking them in V8 juice and herbs. Cooked some fat noodles; thickened the V8 "gravy" and added them to the pan. Baked up the crescent rolls. Not bad. Have hamburgers out for tomorrow night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rib steak... With steak fries for me and macaroni salad for Shayne. And, maybe a little green salad if it didn't go bad when I forgot about it in the fridge.

For tonight, I've got this store bought bacon wrapped chicken breast thing I'm looking forward to cooking. Peas, corn and mashed potatoes to go with it
default_eat.gif

Yours sounds good Jill. I don't know what I'm making but I took out a pound of grnd beef for tonight. Possibly something with pasta, I have some garlic bread that I could make so it might be spaghetti (husband loves his garlic bread lol), I'll see what appeals later in the day. Last night we had dinner at my son's gfriend's parent's house. We had a baked salmon (I am not a fan of most fish, including salmon, but it was very tasty) some potatoes/carrots and onions that were cubed and roasted, ceasar salad, broccoli and cauliflower, and a multi grain baguette. Good food and good company
default_smile.png

We made chicken vegetable noodle soup and corn bread last night. Not sure tonight. Feeling a little punkish again.

It's FINALLY not snowing or sleeting or below freezing, I can't believe it. To celebrate I grilled burgers. Made some skillet potatoes to go with them. Gosh but they were good. I thought I'd never be able to get the grill out again. ***doing the happy dance***

I've been seeing the commercials for Subway's flat bread pizzas... Might. Not. Be. Able. To. Resist!!! (and if not tonight, soon, I'm sure!)

Yeah. They would tempt me for lunch! We had the last of our Lino's gift certificate last night. Pizza special (pizza, Italian salad and pop). H made a face- but only because he had to make the trip to go get it LOL!

H worked a little late and I just ate a hot dog. He did the same when he got home. Nice supper, huh? Got to get to the grocery store again. (but not when it's windy). Ankle's doing better. Walking without crutch/es. It's not real stable or flexible yet and tires easily, but it feels great to feel like I am getting back toward normal. One more week in the cast on my hand and two in a splint. Sure hope I'm done with injuries for a longggggggggg time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had to share with you all. Went to Food Lion grocery store and they had potato encrusted cod on sale. I never had it before so bought two packages and you put it in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes, it was delicious and no work at all. I served it with rice and lima beans.

We've got a Food Lion near us, so we'll be checking that out! I like it when we eat more chicken and fish over red meat, for health reasons. I'm currently contemplating how to make a edible tuna casserole. Never have made a real one (Tuna Helper excluded) but craving it!

Those Subway "flat bread" pizzas are no good. Probably the worst pizza I've ever tried. They look yummy in the commercial, but I think anything you can find in frozen pizza at the grocery store would hit the spot better. Plus, it has tons of carbs and I'm not even sure how they call it flat bread.

There is always Tuna Helper, but when I was growing up, Mom made tuna casserole with a cream soup (probably cream of mushroom, that's what I use, but cream of celery would probably work too), peas, cooked noodles and tuna, seasoned however you like (for me just the soup does it, but Shayne salts everything); easy peasy and tastes pretty good. [i usually just cook the noodles, drain, add soup, peas and tuna, mix, heat and serve; but I bet it would be good topped with those crunchy onion things (over maybe even crushed chips) and thrown in the oven for half hour.]

Chanda, your tuna casserole is almost identical to mine except I add a 1/4-1/2 tsp of thyme and some pepper to the mushroom soup and cook the noodles in chicken stock. I also include sauteed onion and celery. When its for someone other than just me and my husband I top it with buttered bread crumbs mixed with grated cheese and pop it in the oven until it is nicely golden.

I miss tuna casserole. H won't eat it. He likes his tuna with just mayo as a sandwich when he does eat it. Besides, before I got the hang of cooking more of a variety as a young bride, I tuna casseroled the daylights out of him! LOL!

It's fun to read everyone's meal menus- but I think this long winter has frozen and made our minds go dormant. As soon as I'm out of this cast and then the splint, I am going to start trying out recipes I ripped out of magazines during all this time. The really good ones I'll post on here for you all to try if it sounds pleasing to your palates!!! Nothing ritzy-just fun, tasty stuff.

I got my act together this past month and made some freezer meals as a "bad day backup" for when I was feeling overwhelmed and couldn't think about cooking.

Today is one of those days.

We are having vegetarian Vindaloo (a kind of curry) made in the slow cooker and served with Jasmine rice that will be made in my rice cooker.

Indian and Japanese cuisine is our comfort food, and nothing beats a hot curry on a rainy day.

Back