What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ended up making chili mac with the stew meat. I cheated and used tomato juice for the base. It didn't come out very good. I guess I wasn't in the mood to cook again. I ate mine. H. had a side job. Unforetunely it spoiled supper for him. He had to clean out a friend's stopped up plumbing. He said it gushed out "sewage" (his wording) and smelled SO bad. It was all he could smell even when he got home. He ended up snacking on cheese and crackers. It's all he could tolerate. (I assume his stomach got a little off from the job).

Tonight I am planning something we haven't had in ages and ages (my son used to love it when he was 2-5 years old especially). Good old mac n cheese with turkey hot dogs sliced up in it. And a veggie and salad I think.

Oven BBQ chicken breast, mac & cheese and green beans. Easy, but we like it anyway
default_smile.png

I'm making soup from the last of the roast chicken in my fridge and I picked up a small loaf (they called it a soup bowl loaf ) of sourdough bread to eat with it. I have a new part time/temporary job making hot lunch once a week at our local Child Development Center (they have physio, speech and occupational therapists to help special needs kids and their parents among other things) for their day cares. Today was my first day/orientation and I think I'll enjoy it. It goes til the end of June, I am just filling in for the regular cook who is on medical leave and pays a pretty decent rate - altho I only worked 2 hours today and will not work more than 6 hours a week so I won't be getting rich at it ;) Anyway I didn't feel like making 2 big meals so soup and bread it is for tonight.

Last summer my tomato plants went crazy and made more tomatoes than I could eat and give away. I made pots and pots of spaghetti sauce using the tomatoes and then froze it in Ziploc bags. Tonight I took one of those bags out, made some meatballs and a batch of corn bread and we had homemade sauce over shells. It tastes so different when you use fresh ingredients rather than opening a jar of something.

Dixie, we get lots of tomatoes too, but I can them. I use them in sauces and soups, sometimes puree them like I did yesterday to use in my slow cooker chili. Sure saves money and tastes so much better then store bought.

Tonight we are having ham, cabbage and boiled potatoes, need to use up our frozen cabbage from last years garden. Tomorrow is going to be busy, I'm going to an auction in the morning and then to have birthday cake with my grandson, so I'll probably bring home take out or have box and bag dinner, which will be either frozen fish, chicken or fries out of a bag.

I didn't get around to making the oven barbecued chicken last night, so tonight I have chicken in the crockpot with cream of mushroom soup and onion soup mix. We will also be eating mashed potatoes, green beans, and baby carrots. Not that I need the carbohydrates, but I think I'm also going to heat some Hawaiian buns to go with it. The chicken breast I'm using are huge, so maybe we'll have leftovers tomorrow... maybe with egg noodles instead of potatoes that time around
default_eat.gif

Something from hamburger tonight, I'm sure; probably Hamburger Helper of some sort.

We have a little, local grocery store that sometimes puts meat on sale. Yesterday I went and picked up a really nice beef roast for $3 a pound....what??? It's huge so I'll cut it in half and put some in the freezer since there are only two of us at the house. Today I'll put it in the crock pot with some onions and carrots and then make oven parmesan potatoes. I also picked up one of those packages of sauce I've seen on TV. We'll see how that goes.

I made split pea soup yesterday and it turned out really yummy. I put hamsteak, onions, celery, and carrots in it. We had banana bread and salads with it and probably will have some more of it tonight.

Going to make quick quiche for a late breakfast later this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
well 'guys'- i won't be doing much of my own cooking for awhile. my posts keep turning into injury reports. got the official release from my boot to shoes and one to no crutch thursday. friday i got took out by a runaway (extreme wind) shopping cart. i broke my hand! knuckle and long bone below pinkie on my writing hand. gee! help!

OM goodness, I'm so sorry. You are just having such a time lately. I do hope your hand gives you far less trouble than your foot did and you are back to your risky life of handling shopping carts and waving at mailmen-sorry can't help myself, that is just such a crazy thing to have had happen to you and I'm sure you need special care right now, has your guardian angel taken a vacation or maybe drinking?
default_wink.png
I think maybe Chanda has the right idea.

I'm going to put a turkey breast in the crock pot and make some yummy, easy sides to go with it tonight
default_yes.gif

Tonight - beef paprika over egg noodles (the slipperiest noodles in the world). And I'll probably have some sort of dinner rolls with it (just to sop up the gravy - which is to die for)

Oh heavens to Betsy! Poor Performancemini, so sorry you have been injured yet again, you are certainly have a rough time of it. I certainly hope you heal fast. Wish you lived closer, I could cook for you, love to cook and love to have people eat it.

tonight we are having pork chops, rice and peas. I think tomorrow I'm going to make chicken and white beans.

thanks to all of you. i don't mind the "chuckle" comments; they make me laugh and smile. just got a cast on today. 3 weeks and then 2 weeks in a splint. compared to the ankle that's not so bad. H brought home yummy pizza and salad the first night, brought me a fish sandwich Sunday night and made BBQ's and corn last night. Poor tired guy! ilook funny eating-like a toddler. can't use my 'writing hand', so i am scooping my food like a 3 year old! LOL! my

fingers stick out of the cast, so i can kind of use them; but no real pressure-that hurts.

Chandab- love the bubble wrap pic. our mini club secretary suggested the same thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what kind of splint you'll need, but I have a couple wrist splints, the kind that really offer support are canvas with the metal spoon in them. Those with elastic and the metal spoon really don't do anything, as you can flex right through the elastic. I know it sounds funny, but I want to say the kind I last got from the physical therapist office was called a Cock-up Splint.

Now my foot/ankle are aching pretty bad-actually- pinkie finger too a little. But the weather is yuck again! Cold, damp and windy-so that's probably why. I have had a very sore spot on the bad ankle the last 3 days. I think I may had bopped with the crutch when I fell and did my hand in. No discoloration or swelling-just sore. They decided to have me come in Monday and see the Dr.- it's only about a week or so earlier than I was supposed to again.

Last night my husband helped me cook (or maybe I actually helped him). We had chicken noodle soup with big wide noodles and crescent. I am afraid I "squawked" at him several times. He was trying dump everything at once! (must be the boy scout in him-what works with a 'dump cake' must work for everything?!!!). And the crescent rolls he rolled from either end. He said 'what's the difference, they'll bake and eat the same.' Guess that's right! LOL!!!

Tonight he's got a side job and i'm not sure when he'll get home. I can't open cans-pop tops included. There's lots I can't open.I have found ways to do some. Guess I will have to have H open a few things and refrigerate them for me!

You do a good job keeping your sense of humor and I know that helps a lot
default_smile.png

I'm making an old faithful today -- spaghetti sauce. Going to try and not make a ton because I want to make another thing I probably make too often this weekend (chilli with ground turkey).

I am cheerful around other people, but not so much alone-which I am a lot of the time since the foot and now hand are keeping me housebound a lot. Now I can't sew either-pah!

Last night H got home pretty early. He wasn't thrilled, but I had him make hot dogs (turkey) (and which we don't have very often) and baked beans and fruit. I think tonight I will do chicken parmesan. I can get the chicken on one handed-I've even already done an egg one handed. Not as neatly as a pro chef, but I did it. I've got some leftover sauce in the freezer. And I'll let H do the pasta. He'll have to drain it anyway. Ooops! He'llhave to cut my chix into pcs. for me to eat.

Got to quit typing. My shoulder gets tired!

Latest posts

Back