The last one-updated w/PHOTOS pg3

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update...the mare is really dehydrated so bad her milk is like pudding. We nearly almost lost the foal because shes dehydrated from the milk. We were told to give the foal pedialite and theyre going to the vet first thing in the am.

Prayers for mom and baby and you. Sounds like vet intervention is the best thing in this case. Praying for a quick turn-around once momma gets some fluids and starts feeling better. Keep us posted.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Sending prayers and healing thoughts for them both - and ((((HUGS)))) for you.

Please let us know what the vets say.

Heather texted me pics of the filly yesterday, and I haven't had the chance to upload them until now. She asked me to share them, so here they are!

Still praying for the sweet mare and her precious filly.

IMG952013070595173343.jpg

IMG952013070595173358.jpg

0705132104b.jpg

Thanks lexi! As of now the baby is on pedialite,4 oz every hr mixed with a table spoon of mineral oil and a tsp of karo. At midnight she can have a milk supplement. Shes not to suck off momma and she has a feeding tube. Doc gave her two bags of fluids. Momma was pumped with mineral oil and electolytes as well. Said to put her on grass and no grain,she can have alfalfa hay. She still isnt drinking but slightly interested in hay and grass. Doc thinks she has ulcers so were treating that too. He thinks she could have a liver issue

Thanks lexi! As of now the baby is on pedialite,4 oz every hr mixed with a table spoon of mineral oil and a tsp of karo. At midnight she can have a milk supplement. Shes not to suck off momma and she has a feeding tube. Doc gave her two bags of fluids. Momma was pumped with mineral oil and electolytes as well. Said to put her on grass and no grain,she can have alfalfa hay. She still isnt drinking but slightly interested in hay and grass. Doc thinks she has ulcers so were treating that too. He thinks she could have a liver issue
Ask your vet if soaked hay pellets or soaked beet pulp would be ok for the mare, it might help to get more water into her system. [if the mare will eat either. And, if you already have them, so you can try without buying a whole bag to find out she won't eat either. Perhaps soaked alfalfa hay cubes, since he recommended alfalfa.]

Unfortunatly beet pulp is oit of the question he said no grain substance ir additives lol

Most horses will eat grass even if they are not feeling well so keep trying that - the best 'quality' that you can find even if you have to lead her to it.
default_yes.gif

Prayers are still coming for your precious pair, and thank you for the pictures - what a beautiful little filly!

You can also soak the alfalfa hay, just to make it wet so she gets some moisture from it, or soaked alfalfa cubes.

Sending lots of prayers for their continued recovery.

Your filly is just beautiful!!!! Sooooo pretty!!

Last edited:
Can you cut or pull grass for the mare to eat? We have had to do that when all else fails and it can help. Did your vet say he was worried about hyperlipemia? They can get that from not eating which makes it important to find something she will eat. We have tried offering small piles of as many different hays or feeds as we could come up with just to see what they would eat.

Still sending prayers.....your filly is lovely!

OH THAT IS WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!! She should recover quickly now that she's got her appetite back, and the grass is wonderful for her!

Not eating, as Mary said, can really throw those liver enzymes in a tizzy. I wasn't worried when you said maybe a liver problem, as I know once they get fluids and start eating again things can get back to normal and I'm so glad it was true this time too!

So, now more pictures of both ladies please (when you have the time....! LOL)

Last edited:
Brilliant news!
default_thumbup.gif

Praying that she will soon be feeling a lot better!

After a terrible night at Purdue University we lost our precious filly. She was so weak and sick. I feel like I didn't do enough but I know I did everything in my power between 3 vets to save her. It took the vet a Purdue 4hrs to find a vein to IV her with. When we finally found one, she kicked it out as it was on her inside hind leg. Then we found another one in her neck and at that time it was to late, she was fading fast. This sickens me so much. This baby had so much sentential value to me. She was the last baby of Hot Shot( my avatar) who means the world to me and out of my favorite mare. She was beautifully marked as well. She was everything wanted.

Mom on the other hand is doing well, shes at Purdue still on IV fluids... will stay updated on her as I know nothing yet.

Latest posts

Back