Update: Miss Moonpie ****4/24 Baby Is Here!!!****

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just adding my congratulations on your very cute little colt!!
default_thumbup.gif

Yes the congestion is probably due to him not clearing the bag quickly enough at birth, but your vet will check that all is well. Dont forget plenty of mushy feeds for Moonpie over the next few days and her Ivermectin wormer (should be within 12 hours, but 24 will do) if you haven't already done it.

Weather permitting, any safe outside time that you can give them will not only do her good but help with baby's lungs - as long as Moonpie doesn't rush around. When a mare is used to being out and about regularly, the longer she is kept 'restricted' due to a new foal the more likely she is to rush around once allowed her freedom again, not good for a baby's first trip outside!

He is such a cute little fella - keep those pictures coming please.
default_yes.gif

What a cute colt!! He's a doll and congratulations to you and Moonpie.

The vet visit went well. Little Chipper isn't raspy anymore and the vet gave him a clean bill of health. Moonpie is also doing well. He is such a little doll. He is being well imprinted on. The kids just want to love all over him. The first thing my fiance asked is if we could house train him and bring him in the house, lol.

The only problem I am faced with now is we did all the preparing for a baby as far as having her stall ready and watching her but we are unsure of when and where we are going to turn them out. Our corral is high enough for the him to walk right out from under it and we have stray dogs that come around. I think I could put them in there under supervision and moonpie is a very protective mom but we are concerned. And then we are unsure if we can turn them out to pasture at some point. They were kept with another mini and a racking mare, and the fencing is all bobwire. We have also been battling a coyote issue for a year now and it terrifies me to put him out there anytime soon. So we are now brainstorming where we can possible put new fencing up and make a place that is safe for them.

Perhaps a few rolls of the "square" fencing rolls could be added on the inside of the existing fence, until he gets old enough to not find himself rolled outside, and his mom on the other side. I have barbed wire here on some pastures, but the little foaling paddock has the 4" square fencing to keep the little ones from rolling out side the fence.

Latest posts

Back