Foaling help! updated 11/19 pix pg1

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just been reading your first post on here. I dont think I would be worrying too much about the fact that a foal has yet to appear - "she THINKS that the stallion was removed at the end of Oct 2011". Your little girl is looking close to foaling and making normal progress, so I would take her last owners statement with a pinch of salt, and just wait (with patience LOL!!) for your experienced girl to produce her baby in her own good time.

How does she feel when you run your hands over her hind quarters - the area/flesh either side of her spine and towards her tail will start to feel a bit 'spongy' or loose as she gets closer to foaling. Also her tail will feel 'loose' when you try to move it from side to side instead of the slight resistance you would normally get. Just wondering if she has either of these signs yet. It is not easy to see but I dont think her vulva itself is loose enough yet for her to be within days of foaling, but of course this can change very quickly with some mares.
default_yes.gif
Shes super spongy in her hip. her tail feels loose now, she doesnt restrain it at all when I try to look under it.

Her milk is now white, and she read a 7.2 last night! Here are some photos I took on the 8th. Ill be out there this afternoon as the ferrier is coming out. (pray for me shes doesnt kill me) we didnt have her feet done last time as we JUST brought her home and her feet werent bad but now its time. Shes a little witch but I love her
default_smile.png
Her bag felt fuller last night so maaaaaybe soon lol AAAANNNND her Total hardness was at 100 last night instead of 0!!

1108021830.jpg

1108021835.jpg

Lighting is crummy but its reading a 7.5

1108021834.jpg

Her milk is much whiter then this now.

1108021831b.jpg

1108021831a.jpg

Sorry but not too sure what you are referring to when you talk about her 'total hardness' - it's a new expression to me?

Looking at your pictures (and if she was following what is considered - or hoped for - 'normal' progress towards foaling, then I would have to say that she still has a little way to go yet. She is not quite there in her vulva, her udder or her tummy shape, but as we all know things can change very quickly at this stage so you are quite right in keeping a very close eye on her.
default_yes.gif

Bree has just posted some great pics of one of her mare's udders during the last 14 days before foaling - go and have a quick look, although of course all mares develop their milk supply at different rates - and dont we know it!!

Sorry but not too sure what you are referring to when you talk about her 'total hardness' - it's a new expression to me?
She'll be testing the 'hardness' or calcium content rather then the ph of the liquid. I've heard some people have success with it using ppol strips but haven't done it myself, I've also heard you can have problems with it. generally the ph seems more reliable.

But I agree with what Anna has said
default_smile.png

I am using the pool strips Her calcium was at 0 for the longest time while her ph was at about 7.5. As of yesterday her calcium was 100 and her ph was 7.2. I forgot to test her tonight. BUT she doesnt look any different... I know this could mean nothing from 10 min from now lol

This is todays update! Shes still SUPER moody. wont let me touch her bag very well but she gives it with tail swishing and pinned ears. Her Milk test went back up UGH. the other day it was ph 7.2 and her total hardness was 100. Today her ph is the same but her TH is back at 0.

shes becomming REALLY hard to get milk to test. This was all I could get out of both sides. those little drops!

1113021803.jpg

1113021727.jpg

1113021802.jpg

1113021800.jpg

1113021759.jpg

I wouldnt be so "unsettled" on her but I dont know her history at all. Shes obviously one who doesnt read the book!

As long as she is taking plenty of outside exercise (not just standing looking miz) and seems/looks happy and healthy, I wouldn't be too worried. If you are having a problem getting her to give you more than a drop of two of milk, it may be because she hasn't much to offer yet. I agree with Diane, even to the point that I would give yourself a rest from trying to get milk samples for a short while - 4 or 5 days say. We never test milk here, as there are so many other signs to watch for that will tell you that a mare is about to foal, just keep a close eye on her udder and watch for those teats to separate - even if she foals with a small udder, the teats will still have to separate somewhat first - plus keep an eye on the inside of her vulva for any change in colour, a sure sign with most mares that foaling is close.
default_yes.gif

Yes, take it from another newbie. Missy was exactly the same way and I had forgotten. I couldn't get more than a few drops, almost no bag, her second foal, and she was quite cranky too. But just by divine intervention I think, I raised her tail to look (my back was hurting) and her nipples were finally pointing down and her bag was a little filled in in the back! In only a few hours time. Then I tested her milk and she tested high for foaling. So check those nipples.

I went out to feed last night and she was SUPER witchy!! I mean SUPER!!! She never acted like this before. She was chasing the other horses away from the gate and diving at the horses in the field next to her. She was also laying down around noon(11/14), Her bag was the same and under her tail was too. Shes still pink inside her vulva. No red tint yet!

oh DIane Shes already been through this phase LOL we're just starting over again. But on a serious note, Ive never seen her this bad so maybe shes starting to cycle her attitude LOL. I can see her being a pocket pet. She hated people when we first got her. Reared up over EVERYTHING, it took 3 people to give her vaccines and holding her head low so she couldnt flip up and over. Then, she was my best friend and now the witchyness again.

I am starting to wonder if she is in foal to the second stud? He wasnt put out with her until spring. I have no idea when the 1st stallion was removed.

I agree with Diane - think you have just got to be patient. She's obviously not going to wait until next year to produce to the second stallion if she didn't run with him until the Spring (sorry but I didn't realise there was a second stallion). But as yet she really doesn't look as if she is in the final weeks of producing this foal - as she has had foals before her tummy will look bigger than that of a maiden mare, but she still needs to fill her udder more plus her vulva is not yet looking like a mare that is really close to foaling. But she IS looking like a mare progressing quite normally towards the birth of a baby!

If she is going through a really grumpy stage, then I would leave her well alone for a couple of weeks - just keep a good visual eye on her and observe any changes. As I have said before, we dont do any testing here (I'm sure my girls would get the grump with me if I did although they are all normally very good tempered!), we just do a careful soft feel of udders once it is obvious that development has started and move tails to watch for changes in their vulvas, and in some 35 years of breeding (biggies as well as minis) we have only missed around half a dozen foalings.

I think this baby will come out of 'hiding' between mid December and Christmas!
default_yes.gif

Anna we also thought baby would be here around christmas! LOL shes really losing her chances of a foal to the EK stallion. He was removed in October.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I do get pretty confused at times - put it down to old age and all that is going on here at the moment! I now remember that you did say that there was a second stallion, and that we had more or less discounted him due to the fact that he was not around until the Spring.

I also remember that you said that the previous owner thought that the first stallion was possibly with her until the end of October, but she really wasn't certain, plus you posted that you had no firm idea when this boy was removed from the 'scene'.

All very confusing................... but who cares LOL!! She's obviously in foal and I'm sure, just like you, that we shall see a baby by Christmas, plus, allowing for the fact that she must be in foal to the first stallion, 'it' is going to be a very gorgeous baby!
default_thumbup.gif

heh I am sory to leave ya hanging. BUT... we still have no baby. I am 100% shes bred to the 2nd stallion. Ive been sticking to the vet like crazy about her since I am worried for her. Now that I've finally made it half way through winter hopefully she can wait till atleast March.
default_smile.png
It would be nice since shes held out this long! Doc says watch for a February baby since we the breeding report states 1/2012 -9/2012 I totally spaced it but I was talking to my grandma the other day and she reminded me of the buckskin mare we bought from the same lady we bought Shiloh from.She then proceeds to tell me not to forget, the buckskin mare had a February baby. (thanks for the up and down thought on this grandma) LOL So, we will be having 3-4 piggies in the barn for 4h this year which means 3 minis get thrown outside. They do have a shelter so I believe the worst part is they'll be big babies about it LOL. As much as she'd prefer Shiloh is NOT on the outside list. No body will lose their stalls until end of Feb/March anyway so they'll be fine.

This is Daddy...we think
default_frusty.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

Doc.jpg

Latest posts

Back