Update: Miss Moonpie ****4/24 Baby Is Here!!!****

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstarr78

Reaction score
Hello to all the "Aunties" here. (that's what I have heard you all are called) I had posted in the regular Miniature forum needing advice on my miniature mare who is ready to foal any day. I have received some great advice but the number one was to repost here so I can get more advice from those who are in the knowledge on this subject.

I bought Moonpie March 21 of this year. She was in really bad condition body weight, skin, and hoof wise. Basically a mess. I only bought her because the breeders I was purchasing my miniature stallion from brought her along when they delivered him hoping I would take her. They had gotten her in a herd dispersal and apparently in no hurry to keep her long. When I first saw her the only word that came to mind was homely, but rescuing and rehabilitating horses has been what I have done for 5 years now and I couldn't let her slip away.

With her care I immediately brought out my vet, we came up with a feeding schedule to put weight on her.At that time she was taped ad weighed 220#. She is 38 inches tall. I brought out farrier to start correcting her hooves, she had foundered the year before as well as being slightly club footed in the back. I ended up having to shave her between the infestation of horse lice with a fungal infection on parts of her skin.

It wasn't until last month that she started showing signs of putting weight on. Then all of a sudden in a matter of weeks she was twice as round and we had no idea why. So of course the vet was brought out and guess what pregnant. I will go ahead and add my vet isn't 100% knowledgeable on miniatures, but I have used her for 5 years and she is really dedicated. At that visit we taped her again, weight came in around 275# ( my vet rounds to nearest 5, not sure why but she does) and gestation was estimated to be around 310-320 days. She did not have a bag, and had begun displaying the first stage labor signs pacing, laying down frequently, passing bowels and urinating a lot. My vet has given a grim expectation of the foal surviving because of the lack of proper nourishment in the beginning of the pregnancy and that we had her on a fescue blend hay from March 21 when we got her until around the first week of June. We do not if she had fescue prior to us owning her. We have discussed using the medication to bring her milk in, but my vet advised it may be a waste of money as she does not see a good outcome.

This was all 2 weeks ago. I have been grateful we haven't had a foal yet so that we can get some more vitamins and more feed into her. She is currently being fed 2#s of an TM12 solution/Alfalfa pellet mixture twice a day( morning and evening), 3-4 hours of pasture time. Then in a dry lot for the remainder of the day with 2-3 flakes of bermuda hay. Also given 2-3 flakes bermuda in the evening when she is put in her stall. We are also adding a vitamin for pregnant mares into her feed. She has constant access to a mineral block, and fresh water.

Her bag has begun to develop although it is not waxing or dripping milk, her vulva appears to be stretched( what my sister told me, she breeds quarter horses, this is my first foal) and up until two days ago she was laying down and getting up frequently,having an increased amount of bowel movements,rubbing her head against her front legs, biting her sides, yawning a lot. The past two days have been increasingly boring,as now she has taken to not laying down at all and either standing in the same corner sleeping or staring at the wall or munching on hay. I haven't seen her lay down once in two days and I check on her once every hour and probably sit in the barn for a good 15-20 min just to make sure. I know some mares are shy about being watched so I observe her from the hay loft, which I usually am able to sneak up there without her noticing.

I am posting pictures of her from when I first got her to current pictures taken today, plus photos of her bag and vulva today.

Pic-04172013-003.jpgPic-04172013-006.jpgCAM00059.jpg

CAM00475.jpgCAM00478.jpg

CAM00480.jpgCAM00483.jpgCAM00481.jpg

CAM00479.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang in there sweatheart, I'm sure the aunties will be here soon. Wishing the best of luck with this one. Bless you! Terry

She's looking really good in those new pictures. While you wait for the aunties to respond, check out the pinned posts at the top of this forum about what to look for with minis and impending birth signs and also what to do if things go wrong.

Well I have her put up for the night. Checked her and everything seems the same, except is it normal for her bag to seem more swollen in the evening. It doesn't look much bigger than the photos from earlier but it feels thicker, like more solid and hard. She also has runny bowels. will be checking every hour from this point.

Just want to say thanks to those who pointed me in this direction, I have read a lot of goo information here that I wasn't finding elsewhere.

Well I have done my first check tonight and she was lying down until the barn cat jumped into her stall chasing a moth. I have a light inside and it really brings them in. I still have my questions regarding going into actual labor regarding behavior. I have read some really great stuff that describes the labor process and I know of the signs such as pacing, tail swishing, biting the sides and she has displayed many of these for the last two weeks. Tonight before she was startled to standing she was doing something new that she hasn't been doing lately. She was laying down, not fully, and every few minutes would sway her head back and forth, then go still for about 5-10 min then start swaying again. After she stood up she started twitching her nose against the stall wall but then went back to munching hay. Also she has only had one bowel movement since going in and it was pretty much liquid. She usually has about 4 or more every couple of hours. Have been concerned with that as well, not sure if it is normal for her to go soo much. She keeps me busy cleaning out her stall. Also her urine is toxic lol. It smells aweful and is very cloudy.

Going back out to check her now, probably won't be back tonight, but going to make some coffee so might be.

Oh and I am probably going to be super annoying. I over think everything naturally, it's my personality. But I have become so attached to this little lady that I am filled with paranoia and concern for the foal. So it's impossible for me to relax. So I will probably announce every little detail of anything new she does, seeing how I have basically stared at her for hours on end trying to "learn" her. SO apologies before hand, because I may get out of control.

Welcome to the nursery! The 'aunties' here will have you totally relaxed in no time! Hope all goes well for you both
default_smile.png

Hi and welcme to the Nutty Nursery - glad you switched here from the main forum, hopefully we can help you successfully get a little baby from your sweet Moonpie.
default_yes.gif

You have made brilliant steps in bringing Moonpie back to health - she's looking so much better, well done you! As I live in the UK I dont have much knowledge regarding possible fescue 'damage' except what I have learned on here, but will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

It seems to me as though her digestive system may be upset (nothing to do with the coming baby). Not sure what might be causing this - maybe the fescue (is this possible - can others on here tell me?) or it could be that she still has worms, or even that her diet is a bit rich/upsetting her, or could be ulcers - just throwing out suggestions here for others to consider as she shouldn't be having loose/watery droppings at this stage. Just wondering if the alfalfa mix might be too rich, although I know that it is a good source of protein. What about trying a good mare and foal feed - change over very slowly if you do - also you will need to feed her a feed that is suitable for a foal to nibble at (they usually try to share their Momma's feed by the time they are a week old) and I'm not sure that your alfalfa mix will be suitable???

I know you are worried about her, but try to keep calm, she needs you to stay calm! And dont worry about repeated posting, we are here to answer all your questions/concerns however silly they may seem to you. Just make sure you keep everything on this one thread as it is much easier for us to refer back for pictures and info than if we have to search through numerous different threads.
default_yes.gif

Good luck - will be saying prayers for Moonpie and her little baby.

ps. Please can we have your name!

Welcome here! And we're very glad to see how much improved she has gotten since you've been giving her your loving care. She's looking SO much better.

Please explain what is ......2#s of an TM12 solution/Alfalfa pellet mixture twice a day( morning and evening), What is the TM12 solution? The Alfalfa is good for her, as it's giving her the boost of protein she and baby so desperately need. I would immediately move her over to a mare/foal feed -- like Purina Omolene 300 or something designed for these late stage mommy's to be. Also, if you can find some Alfalfa hay -- I would offer her that as well. It helps get the protein level higher, and is a natural tummy soother. The diarrhea is a bit "out of place" at this stage so perhaps moving her to an alfalfa or alfalfa mix hay would help "bind her" and stop the runny poop As I said, alfalfa is a natural tummy soother, so she should start feeling better.

Since she's building a nice udder, and you say it started about 2 weeks ago, I don't think you're going to need anything to help her bring in her milk. It's coming along quite naturally, and she should have a nice udder when she's ready to go. Udders can take 4-6 weeks to fill, and hers is looking very nice. I think she'll grow more in the next couple of weeks (hopefully she'll go another couple of weeks). She is looking good in the hooha -- slightly elongated -- but I think she's got a bit more to go there as well. Another way to check is to slightly part the lips of the vulva and check the color. "Normally" it wll be a pink or salmon color. But just before foaling it can turn quite red looking -- so that's another sign of foaling.

She's a pretty girl, and you've done wonderfully with her. We've had several rescue mares here that have foaled some beautiful babies, so we'll all just think VERY postively that she is bringing you a healthy baby and we're here to help you get it safely to the ground. Remember, nature was pulling nutrients from her to give to baby when she was starving -- so with her good food now, her body caught up to her pregnancy and she is getting things right for baby.

If you have the ability you may try offering her food several times a day to help bring her tummy along -- and help keep her system totally occupied with eating good food all day long.

WELCOME here -- and ask any questions you have, as we're all here to share and help this baby arrive healthy and strong.

Good Morning Everyone,

First off I would like to anser Anna by introducing myself. My name is Jody. So nice to meet everyone.

Second, I would like to say last night was a long night. I was concerned that her bowels were loose and then even more concerned that as the night stretched on she wasn't having anymore bowel movements. I am not sure if horses constipate as I have never incountered it before, but at around 2am she had a very large, solid looking bowel movement. At least it wasn't runny but I may switch her to an alfalfa hay as suggested to calm her tummy. I don't think she has an issue with parasites right now, after we discovered her pregnant we wormed her . I can't remember the name of it, it's gentler than safe guard. My sister brought it and it's what she uses on her quarter horse foals.

CastleRock, 2#, 2pounds,
default_smile.png
I don't usually use a lot of abbrev. type things myself. TM12 solution is a 12% protein feed with a good balance of everything. It's kind of an all purpose feed that can be feed to pregnant mares, performance horses, young horses, and even seniors. You just adjust the amount fed to ensure a proper balance of nutrients. I was mixing various types of feed to suit different horses I have and my vet suggested it because it's simpler, meets my feed needs and cost effective. As I have dealt with rescue horses the feeding requirements of my animals constantly changes. We also have a resident "old man" as I call him. He is a 38yr old palamino quarter horse and I was feeding him senior feed but it was getting rather expensive. The TM12 is adequete for him as well. If they need something extra like Joint supplements, colt grow, or other viatamins we just add those in. It also comes in a 14% protein but is the same feed so if we need more it can easily be switched without having to do the slow add in switch because it is basically the same feed, just more protein.

Oh and thank you for the compliments on her looks, it has taken some effort but rewarding. When I shaved her and really saw how terrible her body condition was my heart sunk. I also began to think that her health wasn't great when she was taking so long to show improvement in body weight from march to June, of course when she pretty much blew up in size through June, that has me scratching my head. Discovering she was pregnant gave me some comfort knowing all the nutrients where probably going to baby, but also gave me something entirely new to be worried about.

I am hoping, as much as it pains me to admit, that she will hold in the little darling for a few more weeks. It will make me feel more confident about the health of the foal, and her. On the other hand, I can't wait for this to be over. I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to go through this on purpose. Of course once I see a beautiful, healthy little foal on the ground I will have my answer, but until then I believe I shall go mad. Moonpie is definately going to add more grey hairs to my head than my children. I think so far I have at least 50 moments where I observe something that makes my heart stop and think " this is it" and it be gas, or a long lazy stretch.

Not to mention tonight, where she has finally decided that she wants to lay down again( went 2 days with virtually no laying down for any lenght of time, just rolling) but that she was going to continously turn and glance at her behind and lay fully down and stretch, and then repeat. After 45 min of this I gave up and went inside to lay down for another hour. Then this morning after putting kids on the bus I went to check on her, feed her, clean her stall and I usually spend 30 minutes rubbing her down and scratching her favorite spots and the little devil bit me. She has never bit. She wasn't very interested in me touching her sides at all, and don't even think about grabbin her tail.

I really wish she could just tell me when. Trying to decipher her behaviors is painstaking. I would much rather be dealing with a crazy horse than a pregnant one.

Well ladies and or gents, if anything comes up I will post. I will be sure to photo document any changes I notice and share. Oh one question I forgot about,is it normal for her to start looking skinnier. I swear this morning she didn't look nearly as round, more like she was sucking it in.

I'm so glad you moved over to this board. It's a wonderful place to be and we are all like family and support each other with kindness and humor. The Nutty Nursery Aunties are just the absolute best. I can't add any helpful information but just wanted to welcome you and say thank you for taking in this mare. You've done an amazing job with her.

Yes, that "slimming down" is usually an indication that baby is moving/has moved into position. That could last, or baby might move around again -- we call that look being "slab-sided" -- that's when baby's spine lines up with mommas.

So, all is sounding good. Watchng her is very good. I'm thinking she'll go a little bit longer for you, and that would certainly be good for both her and baby.

Watch for those changes in personality -- it can be a give-away to her getting closer. But really, all of us have good/bad days -- especially when we're at the end of a pregnancy, so just keep a careful watch as you are doing, and keep the pictures coming.

We're all here and "watching" !!!

Hi and Welcome!

A thought on her bowel issues, I love keeping it all simple. Lots of grass or hay with free access to water can do a lot to help reset a horse's system, especially if things are a bit out of whack with a lot of changes going on.

Hello this Evening y'all

I had a stressful day yesterday. First one of the horses I board walked up to the barn dragging his back leg. I off course thought the worse, it looked broken. I had to call the owner and the use their own vet so of course call the vet as well. Thank goodness it after several hours of extreme stress we learned it was a stifle injury, and within the hour the vet was there he actually started walking better. Talk about relief.

On a different note, the vet saw Miss Moonpie in the dry lot and asked what's wrong with that horse. I told him expecting and was out for her time in the sun. His reply that horse isn't pregnant, she isn't pear shaped. If anything in the second trimester. I explained as unannoyed as possible about my vet evaluation which he just shrugged his shoulders at, and added that's why I don't treat mini's. I had to just walk off, he made me so mad.

As far as miss moonpie currently, still doing about the same.Her bowels are back to normal . I do think her temper flare is here to stay for a while. She has become increasing antisocial and somewhat aggressive. I have to have someone with me to hold her just to mess with her now because she tries to run off, bit, and even kick. My sweet little girl is becoming a little brat. I am concerned with in the past few days her bag has seems to of shrunk instead of enlarge. When I feel it you can feel thickness high in the bag, they just aren't swelled like before. I am putting pictures up so that you all can see for yourselves. They aren't the best, waited too long and had to use a flashlight, plus she wasn't feeling cooperative.

130813_0001.jpg130813_0003.jpg130813_0004.jpg

130813_0005.jpg 130813_0008.jpg

130813_0007.jpg

I can't help but express a bit of excitement, but I just finished a check on Moonpie and I examined her bag since I am concerned with the shrinkage but I gave a squeeze and a tiny clear droplet appeared. Is this colostrum? I don't want to get excited over nothing, but this is the first time that I have seen anything come out.

Oh and she nipped at me for it all. Seriously considering a name change to something with devil in it
default_gaah.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif

LOL!! With most of my mares, anything more than a gentle run over their udders with my hand will be met with a "no no, what the h*ll do you think you are doing"!! Which is half the reason that we never milk test as they get closer.

Regarding udder shrinkage, it is perfectly normal as things progress, so I think this is another sign that she will go a little while yet before she foals. But I have to add that she is looking better in her condition every time you post pictures - brilliant!
default_thumbup.gif

I thought you could use a bit of cheer... I once bought a foal that was out of a mare that had gone through what your mini mare had. That foal was drop dead gorgeous without a flaw, so she can have a healthy baby. The people who rescued her mother didn't know she was pregnant and she was as bad or worse than your little girl. I pray that everything goes well and that the baby IS healthy!
default_pray.gif

I am beginning to agree that we may have a while to go. She seems to be looking smaller in size as each day passes. Of course our gestation approximation was an educated guess on the part of my vet, who isn't familiar for mini's. I think while we are waiting I am going to try to find a different veterinarian that is more in tune to miniatures. Posting more pics of Moonpie, she is really looking smaller.

130814_0001.jpg130814_0002.jpg130814_0009.jpg130814_0010.jpg130814_0005.jpg130814_0007.jpg

I think she is going backwards. On a different note I want to also share pictures of my little stud Tyrian. Still looking for an appy mare to capitalize on having roan babies. He is still a little round but working on slimming the guy down.

130814_0011.jpg130814_0012.jpg

That's a very cute little fella you have there - thanks for the pics of him and Moonpie, we love seeing everyone's 'other' animals!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back