Rusty recovery....New Years Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to post photos but now I have the blue screen of death on a second computer this week - the one with all my photos. Yes I do have back-up but hope this is just temporary.

Peter feels that Rusty is coming along well - eyes and wounds. He removed one of the drains he put in last week and also some dead tissue. The large, deep wound on the left side of Rusty's neck seems to be filling in and he seems to have more mobility in his neck too. He was outside all day today!! Peter cautioned us about the eyes in that if we are not real gentle with the ointment we can do more harm than good at this point. The best time to treat his eyes seems to be one at a time when he lays down!

When the other computer comes around (it better, it is my business one) I will try to post some pics.

ETA: That is also why the cam is down...don't look for Rusty until I can get that computer working again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered about the cam last night, but I wasn't worried because he was doing so well. I'm so glad to know Peter is happy with his progress. WE ALL ARE!!!!!

Hope the computer stops giving you fits. I just had to replace mine, and it made me crazy getting thing transfered and working again. I'm crossing my fingers it's just a small glitch! LOL

Just an FYI- we plan to take the cam down in the next 24 hours so that the wires don't get buried in the expected snow. We really appreciated the eyes at first, and especially hearing when he was able to lie down and get up on his own, but he is doing well enough now and spends so much time off cam that we don't feel we need it. We do still have the baby monitor on all night. I will still try to post updates but I post most of them on Facebook where Rusty has quite a following, including some of his vets and vet techs!

Thank you all!! Some day I may do an article on this experience, like the one that is in the Journal that just came out about our 4-H Club. Not sure if I can post a link but I think there is one handy on LB anyway.

I will miss checking on Rusty via the cam but understand with the pending snowstorm!! It is so wonderful that he has made such great progress in such a short time!!! You and your family have taken excellent care of him and I believe that has made all the difference in his fast healing! You got him quickly to a hospital and without any hesitation which shows how much you love and care about him! He is so lucky that he has you as his "people family"!!!!!!!! Animals can feel our love for them and I think that is what made Rusty want to fight to get better! Please keep us posted, I do follow on Face Book as well! Take care with that snowstorm coming your way!

Thank you so much for allowing us to watch Rusty get better. I have enjoyed your updates here since I do not have facebook. I also really enjoyed your article in the Journal and encourage you to share this experience with others. I feel this would be an eye opener for many that think their horses are "safe" in the barn. Continued well wishes for Rusty.

Just posted this picture of Rusty from yesterday on FB and wanted to share with you wonderful folks. He didn't even object to the antlers being put on his neck very near some wounds. Someone I know is trying to bring back a riding horse that was mauled by a mountain lion and that horse has all kinds of issues about being mounted, leg pressure, etc. Physically it healed fine. Oh, yes, I believe that happened in the next town west of us.

Antlers_12_13_3.jpg

Mary, you KNOW we have had great pleasure watching this special boy recover. It's so good that he's on his way to full recovery, and we're honored you allowed us to watch him....you know he's very special to us Aunties.

We'll be looking for the girls on cam when the time comes. Thank you again for allowing us some small opportunity to watch!!

Diane - Sorry to disappoint, but we didn't breed any mares for next year and are not sorry. We could be done breeding unless we can figure out a way to sell something. Our problem isn't only the market, but my hubby wants to keep them all. We do not need any more.

Just wanted to add my thanks to you for allowing us to watch over Rusty and to share in his incredible journey of recovery. You guys have been just wonderful with all your love, care and attention towards him, he's a very lucky little boy to have such a loving family.

Please keep us updated as he continues to progress, pics too if possible as I dont do fb either.

Love that latest picture of him - have a Happy Christmas Rusty!
default_hypocrite.gif
default_yes.gif

I'm not disappointed -- well just a little, because your babies are always so gorgeous!! But, I totally understand, as I haven't bred in years -- maybe someday again but it will depend on the market.

Just don't leave us -- we need your "Auntie eyes" here to help bring other little ones safely to the ground!

Give Rusty a big MERRY CHRISTMAS from us Aunties!! He's the most 'relaxed mare' we've ever watched -- no pacing, no moods, just wonderful ! And not ONE picture of his privates!!
default_whistling.gif

Last edited:
Hey Diane - thanks for the reminder about Rusty's "privates". I need to check them because at the hospital his sheath was swollen from a gash near his stifle.

I know this is off topic but thought you "Aunties" might be interested (and, yes, I hope to join you in 2014 as a watcher): The Dec/Jan Journal that just came out has an article I wrote about our 4-H Club with lots of photos. Link is at top of this page and here: http://www.shetlandmini.com/member-services/the-journal.html: Article starts on page 76.

(I also have a letter to the editor about dwarfism which I will be posting about on the main forum soon).

ETA: I checked his sheath and it is back to normal size which is likely why I hadn't noticed it. At 28.5", Rusty's belly and private parts are pretty close to the ground and not easy to check!

I know what you're saying. My Silverado was only 28" tall, but he would 'work' that like he was much taller.

Glad to know all parts are healing and getting back to normal. I'm going to check out the article when I get home! Can't wait.
default_thumbup.gif

More good news after Peter gave him another check-up today - NO MORE WOUND FLUSHING!!! Which I might add is pretty uncomfortable for all concerned when the temps are WAY below freezing and/or it is snowing or raining. We will still be checking them daily, cleaning them up, spraying on a "bandage" and changing Rusty's clothes but at least we can do that is his stall. Also Peter said his eyes look good - left one is normal and the right one (which was quite swollen when he came home) just has a tiny spot on it that he feels will be fine eventually. Only treatment now is his twice a day SMZs which he is very good about taking in Stomach Soother.

Photo below shows the wound flushing - which gets everyone wet because the wounds are connected and liquid shoots out all over. Peter also removed those last 2 drains today.

P1140088.JPG

Great news Mary - a real success story for sweet Rusty thanks to his wonderful family!

I am so happy to hear he is coming along! YEAAAYYYYY!!!!!

I've flushed and cold hosed leg wounds thru the coldest months here in NC and in snow/freezing rain - but still bet it's nothing like what you all have been going thru!!

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!

This is a great Christmas present to learn about!!! I'm so happy for you Mary, and our special little boy!!!!

Christmas update: Rusty's wounds are continuing to improve so fast that we are just amazed. Truly a Christmas miracle. Peter was back on Monday while the 4-Hers were here and gave them an update and education too! Rusty and Kiera are starting to join in the 4-H activities, especially in the snow when about all we can do is walk up and down the driveway. Rusty was turned out yesterday with a buddy for the first time and after very careful consideration, we picked his half-sister BUNNY for that role even though she is only a yearling. It seems to have been a good choice as she was not only gentle with him, she kept LICKING HIS WOUNDS! He wasn't as happy when she sniffed his butt and he let her know it by bucking. We also tried 9 year old show mare Princess and she was not so good. I think we will stick with his half-siblings or his mother, Sox. Notice we are actually leaving his wounds uncovered and so far no one has seemed too upset by what they see. The huge wound that we measured at 2" X 2" and maybe an inch deep has almost totally filled in!

Bunny_Rusty_3_12_24.jpg

Rusty_hat_12_21.JPG

Rusty_Sox_12_21_1.jpg

Christmas miracles do happen and Rusty is living proof. What wonderful news Mary and how marvellous for him to be out with Bunny and to take part in a little 4-H activity with Kiera!

Thank you so much for the update - hope you are having a Happy and Peaceful Christmas Day.
default_yes.gif

This is GREAT NEWS for this special boy~~!!! And such a wonderful Christmas story of love and devotion of you and his special 4-Her! I'm just so happy little Bunny is being a gentle friend for him. It's so good for him to have a buddy as he continues his journey to perfect health!!

Merry Christmas to ALL!!!!

Back