Mini mauled by wild animal IN HIS STALL - update June 3, 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
For anyone who hasn't seen this on Facebook where it has been shared over 250 times and has over 500 comments:

Our 28.5" mini Rusty, a 4-H project mini, was attacked Saturday evening inside his stall and mauled by what we now think was a bobcat. The only reason he survived at all was because Clyde in the next stall freaked out and busted out the door, allowing the attacker to escape, after the damage had been done. At first we had NO idea what happened because at bed check (hat to think of outcome if we didn't do bed check) we found Rusty covered with blood and barely able to stand, alone in his stall. There was blood everywhere and a busted water bucket which we thought he must have gotten caught in. The outside door in the next stall was wide open and Clyde was missing, but actually it was Clyde being outside was what we noticed first. Ran in and called vet who luckily lives on next street and came right over. Also called friend who was at Fantasia and she brought HER friend and it turned out we needed all these people to CARRY Rusty on the trailer to take him to the large animal hospital (Tufts) over an hour away. He was hanging to life by a thread and they told us the next day that he almost died during the blood transfusion.

Photos show him as he arrived at hospital, then Monday in a sling to hold his head up, and today when he was out of the sling and moving around but still can't really hold his head up. And the grill on his stall that we think may have been how the animal got in. There were a total of 7 minis outside - 4 in the area right outside his stall, 2 next door, and the stallion on the other side of the barn, all unharmed. Not counting Clyde who made #8! There were also 2 weanlings in stalls across from Rusty who are OK. We think maybe the other minis might have chased the animal or it was running to get away from them and ran/jumped into Rusty's stall. If you have a better theory, I would love to hear it. We have done some major "locking the barn door after the horse got out" and now have a baby monitor in the barn every night. Someone who examined wound photos is 90% certain they are from bobcat. DNA analysis was going to cost >$1,000 and might not give us an answer.

The 4-Her has also been to the hospital to visit him. She is devastated, as you might imagine. She is on FB so we are very careful about which photos we post there.

P1130519.JPG

P1130547.JPG

P1130559.JPG

P1130537.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
default_sad.png
What a horrible thing to have happened! Poor little guy! Not just the wounds, but the trauma he suffered. Thank God he wasn't killed. My thoughts and prayers are with him. HUGS to his child and all his family.

I was shocked when I read this. I remember Clyde and Rusty by name. How horrible to go through this (for him and you!)! I hope he gets better soon and this doesnt happen again. Im always so afraid of animals messing with my minis. =(

What a strange and horrifying incident. Poor little horse. Hope he pulls through.

Hubby thinks maybe it was a cougar attack. I know the thought of a cougar is really scary. We know there are some cougars in our area although not a large population but they have been seen within a few miles of here, south, near the river and on the way, north, to Fernley.

I did a very quicky research on the fisher you thought was also possible that did this; very weird creature. It did say they like to eat wood among other miscellaneous ground type things and animals so wonder if he was eating shavings and maybe Rusty stepped on him? I don't know......You may never know but I am so glad to hear things are looking up for little Rusty. Horrible thing to have happened. So very sorry.

How terrible!! The mini's barn has had coyote tracks in it, but that's nowhere near as bad as what happened to your little guy. I wonder how the attacker got inside your barn? I hope he recovers.

Oh Mary, how horrific! Poor poor Rusty, quite apart from his wounds the shock alone could have killed him. It sounds as though Clyde breaking out may well have saved his life!

Sending ((((HUGS)))) to you all. Please keep us updated on Rusty's progress.

Prayers for a speedy recovery. Would it have possibly been a dog? I know of quite a few minis lately that have been attacked by dogs.

The poor guy.
default_pray.gif
I hope he recovers quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this in FB but couldn't get the whole thing to open on my phone. How awful. Looks like the bite wounds are along the top of his neck? That would be a cat--cats go for the top kindle and neck; dogs go for the back end and face, not the top line.

O MY!! I'm so sorry to hear/read about this.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Take care and hope you find the varmint, so no-one else comes to harm. I also send cyber hugs to both your family and the 4Her. That's sooooo hard!

((Hugs)) I am so sorry this has happened. Sending positive thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery for Rusty.

I watch animal planet and they have a show called, call of the wildman. He traps animals that are causing trouble for people from racoons to coyotes. One show, did show a bobcat who had tried to attack a full size foal in the stall right next to it's mother. At first they were not sure it was a bobcat till they trapped it. Maybe you should try to have a professional in and try to have the animal trapped and removed so this doesn't happen again because unfortunately usually a predator will return over and over.

I am glad Rusty is doing better. Good Luck!

I am so sorry this happened to your little gelding. Bobcat are becoming a nuisance here in Ct. DEP keeps releasing them to control smaller species that carry rabies. I have had several show up in my barnyard and go after birds. I installed the nite guard blinking red lights and so far they have kept them at bay. My mini jennies flattened a baby one last winter. Animal control claims bobcat are cautious and not likely to go into a barn(I dont necessarily believe them) but fischer cat will. Those are vicious and they attack in a manner simular to the photos you posted. Several times i have had to shoot a fischer in the barn because they get in, completely destroy everything in sight and go psycho. I keep my donkeys with my minis for protection now, as animal control and DEP are of little help *bobcat are actually protected*. Your little guy is in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for the tip about the blinking lights but I just read reviews of them on-line and the consensus seems to be "waste of money". Best bet is good fences and barn doors, and I still stick with my baby monitor to let us know if there is another attack. We would need 6 foot fences (ours are 4') and no gates (!!!) to really keep predators OUT.

It sounds more like something a dog would do, not a wild animal. They are pretty wary about coming into an enclosed place for a meal with no escape. And if it's a dog, they will come back. I am SO sorry for your little guy and hope he will be ok!!!

Back