Mini mauled by wild animal IN HIS STALL - update June 3, 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow such wonderful news!!!!!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
I am sure you and Rusty are both so happy he is home!!
default_yes.gif
Rusty is one determined and strong little guy, it is a true miracle that he has recovered so fast!! But then again he is lucky to have you Mary, your love has kept him going. I really believe that a sick animal knows when he/she is loved and will fight to overcome illness to be with his/her family!!
default_yes.gif

Prayers seem to be working and answered so I will continue to pray until Rusty is completely well and running in your fields again!!!!
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Mary, been watching Rusty and it is amazing how the other horses seem so curious or caring. Wishing you the best for him.

I would like to think they are caring or curious, but I think envious is more like it. We bedded Rusty's stall with HAY, so he wouldn't eat straw, and of course we want him to eat so not a problem. But the others want to help him eat I think....

I just took a peek at Rusty on the camera, so happy to see him at home in his own stall!! I think I may have even seen you Mary taking care of him! Very Happy for all of you!!!!!

Mary, Happy Thanksgiving to you, Rusty and your family!!! Much to be Thankful for this Thanksgiving!

Yes, Misty's Mom, you likely did just see us in there treating him. Rusty gets three different treatments in each eye at 10 PM plus antibiotics. Plus everyone gets a bedtime snack. This was about the time we found him the night he was attacked, so it was more like an evening attack. Just a very good thing we found him when we did. Next treatment at 6 AM......

Rusty looks so much better today. I looks like he is moving around more.

I am so glad that he is home with you.

Will pray that he keeps emproving as he has been.

I post the most updates on my Facebook page where they are available to anyone, plus they seem to be WIDELY shared. The big news for today - thanks to Misty's Mom through the LB Mare Stare watchers/Chat board forum - is that Rusty lay down last night and got up all by himself!!! He does seem to be getting a tiny bit stronger each day and continues to eat well - hay and grain - and drinks, poops and pees. When we flushed his wounds today some of them bled for the first time, which someone who came to watch said was a good sign. Can anyone here confirm that? He is now down to Banamine just once a day (along with ulcer meds for that) and the 3 eye treatments 3 times a day plus Chloramphenicol 3 X/day. He also got his feet trimmed today without anyone holding him! Reminder: Rusty is only 3. He is a trooper for all these treatments. He is on cam - see post above for cam link. We are leaving the lights off tonight so that he can sleep without his mask.

I have been told by my vet that signs of blood (bleeding) is good because it shows that the flesh is alive and not decaying.

I had leg wounds on a horse that I changed bandages every day and the bleeding worried me, but he told me it was a very good thing.

Rusty is continuing to improve and now goes in and out of his stall into his small run on his own. There is a fairly big step to negotiate so this was a major accomplishment. He eats and sleeps a lot which is probably what he needs most. This morning he whinnied for his grain, which he does about half the time now! We are still flushing his wounds daily (yes, outdoors in the cold, but we warm the saline) but his eye meds and antibiotics have been changed and simplified. I am attaching the photos of his left eye that I just posted on Facebook - from 11/20 (with white "helmet"), 11/29, and 12/7 (halter) You can see the scratch under is eye is healing and the look in his eye has totally changed! One of his wounds has a long way to go (it is about 2"X 2" wide and 1" deep) but my vet seems more concerned about the wounds, many with drains, that are interconnected near his right shoulder blade.

Eye_11_20.jpg

eye_11_29.JPG

eye_12_7.JPG

thanks for the update, been wondering about him, his face and eye look so much better! You are doing a great job nursing him, and the little guy is a fighter isn't he, still sending positive thoughts and prayers.

So happy he is doing so well. Keep up the wonderful job, you are doing.

So good to hear that things are going well for all of you. He's lucky to have such a caring family.

So happy .. for him...
Hope to keep seeing improvements
All who have cared for him has done a great job..

Vet was here again yesterday for another check-up and he is quite pleased!! Eyes are looking good so he cautioned us at this point that the antibiotic ointment is mostly for prevention so if it is a struggle to get in his eyes it could do more harm than good. When he is lying down I can do the upper eye (usually the right and worst one) easily so I think I will continue with that strategy. Rusty can probably do without the mask but it is sunny today after being cloudy and stormy for DAYS, so I put it on. I figure it is like wearing sunglasses and he had no objection. He was also very happy to get out in his small run again after being confined to his stall for a couple of days.

Rusty's wounds are coming along well and we can probably flush a bit less than we were. Peter removed one of the drains he put in last week and did some trimming of dead tissue. I hesitate to post photos because they are still pretty gross, especially the big one on the left side of his neck. But Peter feels they will heal with time and barring complications, like internal infection. Rusty is still on SMZs, again, just in case. I give them in Stomach Soother so he doesn't seem to mind taking his meds.

Thanks for all your thougts and prayers!

Mary, I would like to pass along info with regards to a valuable product that aids in wound healing. Underwoods. Check out their website and the testimonials. I tried to message you through lilbeginnings but it says you can not receive??

Latest posts

Back