Mini mauled by wild animal IN HIS STALL - update June 3, 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the request for an update! Rusty is doing very well and is gaining mobility in his neck all the time. He has been moved back into the stall where the attack occurred with no issues at all (except last night when the power outlet went off and we had to swap heated buckets around). He is back in with his turnout buddies and is starting to join in 4-H activities. The healing of the wounds has been amazing!! The big wound that i could almost hide my fist inside in late November can barely be seen now. The only issue now is a blanket rub that won't heal, unrelated to the bobcat attack. My vet has been on vacation but I need to get him back to deal with it. It seems to be proud flesh. Rusty doesn't need the blanket now so that is a help.

20140125-buckshot-babies-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Such good news. Thank you for the update. I think of him. He sure is lucky to have you.

I literally had nightmares after I read about this, I am so happy your guy is healing up!

Oh so great to hear Rusty is doing well!!!! He looks great running with his buddies! Keep us posted every so often, and post some more pictures of that sweet boy!!!!!

Last update, I promise! I was waiting for photos from a show, but then we did 4 shows in the past 5 weeks (yes Rusty too) and there was no time. Rusty was shown in 3 of the shows by 3 different 4-Hers and then went to one rather than leave him home without his turnout buddies and of course everyone there wanted to see him anyway! Other than the nasty physical scars he seems totally back to normal, and even picking up driving right where he left off after about 2 drives last fall. He won a huge trail class at one of the shows and is doing well in everything except halter.

Rusty_Anna_trail_3.jpg

Rusty_gr tie_5_18.JPG

Rusty_Kiera_5_3_14.jpg

Rusty_jump_1.jpg

Rusty_scars_back.JPG

Rusty_scars_neck.JPG

default_thumbup.gif
What a wonderful update. I just want to hug Rusty! Thank you so much for sharing pics of one very special lil horse.

Thank you for the update Mary. Look at little Rusty go over that jump! I've seen big horses that didn't fold their knees up and use their bodies like he is.

Great job to all involved, from you and your 4H'ers to the vet staff to the extended family here that sent well-wishes and prayers.

YOU ROCK RUSTY!!

He is such an amazing little horse - very brave too bless him! Those scars are nasty but the pictures of him enjoying himself at the shows are so uplifting. As Diane says - an awesome little man!!
default_firstprize.gif

Thanx for sharing and wow, look at how awesome he's doing!

I bet the scarring on his body will continue to heal. You may even see some more "filling" in with the muscle loss - but may not. Don't think it really matters - Rusty is an awesome little horse.

He's proved the adage - ..."the little horse that can"...!!

Thank you for the wonderful update!!!!! Rusty is one special little horse!!! He is an inspiration to all man and animals alike!! His will to not only survive that horrific attack but other than the scars make a complete come back to all those who love and work with him!!!! You never have to make a "last post" or update I for one look forward to reading about "Rusty the Wonder Mini", so please keep us updated!!! Oh one more thing give him a big hug from me!!!!!

I just found this as well. So glad that he is recovered. What a long road each of you had to travel.. Horses ability to heal is incredible!

Latest posts

Back