Mini mauled by wild animal IN HIS STALL - update June 3, 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're here for you Mary! Sending many prayers for his continued recovery, and this new little problem. I know what happened to Max, but am praying for a much happier outcome for little Rusty. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}
default_pray.gif

Last edited:
I was told by a vet a few years ago, that Banamine can slow down a horse's G.I.track, and therefore, it should never be used during a colic. (Which is exactly what we were using). I don't know if your little guy is on Banamine, but I imagine he is on some pretty strong pain meds right now. I'd be worried that they may be adding to/causing the impaction, so it might be something to look into. We were told that pain meds have a tenancy to relax the intestines, rather than allow them to keep working at full potential. We were given a med that supposedly works well for pain but doesn't affect the intestines. I can't remember the name of it just now, but I can find out if it is something that you'd like to discuss with your vet. Our two minis who were colicing at the same time, made a huge improvement after we took them off the Banamine.

Praying for Rusty! I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Praying for a complete recovery and that he will get to come home soon.

I am sure the pain meds and the inactivity contributed to the problem but I just got a very positive report for today. Not even posted on Facebook yet! Two more poop piles overnight plus signs of the oil coming through so the nasogastric tube is OUT. They took him out for some grass which he ate with gusto!!! His 4-Her is on her way up and she will likely take him out for more grass. They think he is getting more mobility in his neck too, plus the wound packings have come out and will stay out! They were given a gizmo to flush the wounds which they can send home with him!! Things are looking up... let's pray for no more setbacks.

ETA the wonderful photo that the vet just sent!!

Rusty_11_23_grass.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note on making gates taller (up to 6' or whatever height you need): I used gates that came with 2x4" mesh in the lower portion, and bolstered the gate opening with simple electric wire rope and rope hooks (they have springs inside and are insulated - just make sure the wire rope is powered by powering the loop of galvanized wire you hook it to... unhook it, it is dead.)

Easy to operate, cheap, and just extends your electric fence you already (hopefully already) have.

Now, my electric fencing is 6' tall with alternating ground wires, and doesn't seem to keep the DEER out every time (@%%#$##$^&@^@^&^^!!!!!!!) but at least it is another layer of discouragement, along with LED motion floodlights (lit by the local fox on a regular basis, and blowing weeds if a storm is coming through) and a protective donkey. We live in cougar & coyote country... ugh.

Mary thank you so much for the very promising update. Keeping my fingers & toes crossed that he is well on his way to a full recovery.

I am so sorry little Rusty is going thru this; he seems to be a fighter and will get thru this. Its so hard to see our precious little horses suffer. It may have been a bobcat, several years ago, my friend had adopted two dwarfs and a bobcat, or a pair of them, I do not know for sure if it was one or two, attacked them; one dwarf was killed and the other wounded. And they did have wounds on the necks. They were outside, not in a stall. It is so shocking that something came into his stall. Prayers for him and you.

Great news Mary - nothing like a bite of Dr Green to help perk up a chap once improvements are showing. Bet he was pleased to see Kiera too.
default_yes.gif

Continuing with the prayers.

I so totally agree.....FABULOUS news! And the picture just lifts my heart for you!

Praying for continued healing with no set-backs!
default_pray.gif

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Keeping fingers crossed that Rusty comes home tomorrow!!! Vets agree that he has shown great improvement in the past 2 days, which is since his 4-Her visited him on Saturday - see below. We spent this afternoon getting a different stall ready for him and set up our cam so he will be on Mare Stare once he gets home. Will post link when that happens.

If anyone can help Rusty heal, it is Kiera...what a special bond they have.

Rusty_K_11_23_9.JPG

We are soooo happy for you and Rusty. I have been following your story all along. Sending prayers for speedy recovery in his loving home!!!
default_thumbup.gif

Oh, I am so happy for you all! Glad he is home and doing so well.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Latest posts

Back