Rusty recovery....New Years Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a good little man - he could make all his 'treatments' so difficult if he wanted too. BIG HUGS for Rusty!
default_wub.png

I post most (almost daily) updates on Facebook but haven't posted Monday's yet. My vet was here to check Rusty over so I did not have to take him back to the hospital which is what they wanted. His meds have been changed and simplified, most importantly Rusty is off Chloramphenicol and on SMZs. His eye treatments have gone from 3 treatments 3 times a day to one, twice a day. Yesterday was his last day on Banamine so we will see how he does without it (it was tapered off for 3 days). Peter also put in a couple of new wound drains. Rusty is moving around well and getting up and down often. Peter is pretty amazed at how well he has done so far, knowing how bad he looked right after the attack.

Did Peter want him to go back to the hospital? He seems to be improving and doing better when I'm watching. It's good to know they were able to reduce some of his treatments.

Does he seem to be in more pain without the Banamine, or is he doing well? That's something we can't really 'see' on cam.

How are his eyes, Mary? Is there improvement? I"m praying hard for his full recovery! Sending HUGS too!
default_pray.gif

Good questions Diane: Peter felt like I did that taking Rusty back to Tufts for his check-up was going to be hard on him. It is about one hour 20 minutes each way, plus the waiting. We are in total agreement that Tufts was THE place to be right after the attack and for the first few days, but they may tend to overdo treatments to be "on the safe side". For example, He was on Gastrogard AND Misoprostol, which causes abortion and must be handled with extreme care and gloves. (like the Chloramphenicol they had him on). I Googled Misoprostol and learned it is not as good as omeprozole (Gastrogard) at treating ulcers so I stopped it on my own. I think some of Rusty's GI issues may have been caused by his meds.

We don't see anything to indicate Rusty is in more pain than before. His eyes are improving and the only reason he needs the mask is because I made a mistake and gave him atropine, which dilated his pupils. Luckily it has been cloudy here lately so he hasn't had to wear it much. I also saw Rusty get up this morning and he seems to do that without much trouble, considering he must have to use his neck. Below is photo from yesterday which shows our vet examining his eyes. You can see one of the new drains he put in (by left ear) but my arm is hiding the largest of his neck wounds. The interconnected ones on the right side might be worse though.

P1130845.JPG

So glad that you decided not to take him back to Tufts and that Peter agreed with you, but then Peter is well aware of how well you care for your horses, plus the fact that the best recoveries will often take place at home in familiar surroundings (if possible/suitable) once the initial care/treatment is over.

Little Rusty seems to be going from strength to strength which is just the best news - I know the meds are obviously helping, but the main reason that he's doing so well is the fact that he is surrounded by the love and care of the wonderful people caring for him!

Well done to you all!!
default_yes.gif

Anna - And don't forget his equine buddies!!! I really think the whole herd is helping and why we are using a stall screen plus hay for his bedding. This makes him VERY popular - although I think he is anyway - so there is almost always a buddy by his stall screen. When he goes out in the front yard to graze, he has called to the mares in the adjoining pasture who usually come over to say hi. And yesterday we had extra people (his 4-Her and her Granddad) so we brought out his dad and 2 1/2 brothers to keep him company. And then joked we had Buckshot and "My Three Sons"!

He's looking fabulous Mary. And yes, his equine buddies are visiting on a regular basis and checking on him frequently. But let's face it, lots of prayer and your special love and care are bringing this special boy along.

Peter is so appreciated by me for letting you care for him where he feels love and the familiar warmth of his friends around him. That will bring him along and keep his spirits high.

Sooooooooo pleased by what I'm seeing. You're doing a fantastic job!!!

I am still keeping tabs on Rusty and so glad he continues to improve, you folks are so devoted to healing him, great job!

May I ask about his eye meds? I nursed a mare through an infected eye where there was fear she would lose it. She had several meds, so I was doing something or other about every 3 hours to it, so I know how labor intensive it is. My question is: are you putting drops in of his own serum? I believe that was an important part of saving my mare's eye, I had never heard of doing that until my vet prescribed it.

More good thoughts coming your way!

Rusty just went outside on his own!!!! That is why the stall is empty and apparently you can't see him on the other cam!!! He has access to a small turnout but this is the first time he went out on his own!!!!

Yes, Rusty was getting his own serum while at Tufts and for the first week home. We still have more in the freezer but my vet thought he has healed enough that he didn't need that now. He is still on triple antibiotic ointment but the saline (NaCl) ointment has also been discontinued. We had to give those at least 5 minutes apart every 8 hours.

Wonderful News!!!!!!! Each day he seems to improve more than the day before, this is one special little horse! Rusty is determined to get back to his old self he is a "miracle mini"!!! Sending lots of Love and Prayers for Rusty and Mary, keep improving everyday!!!!!

I've been looking in on Rusty each night and he looks good from what I can see in the video! Hope all is well and he is healing nicely!!!!!

He's been such a good boy, Mary. Up and down, and looking better and moving better each day, from what I can see.

How are his eyes doing? And is he still on pain meds, or is he off the Banamine? I know he's still on the Gastroguard, I'm sure, but he seems to be doing well from what I can see. How are the wounds closing up?

Just read your update on the main forum Mary - it sounds as though Rusty is really improving in leaps and bounds now! Just brilliant!! I'm thrilled for you all.
default_thumbup.gif

Thank you Anna for telling me where the update is! He's really looking much better, and his eyes are looking VERY good!! May he continue to improve each and every day.

Keep us posted on that shoulder wound. I start praying pointedly for that particular spot, and pray it continues to heal from the inside out! He's looking so much better, Mary. You are doing a wonderful job with this precious boy!!
default_pray.gif

Between Rusty and the 4-H calendars we are so busy I forgot to check here. Peter plans to come out and check on Rusty tomorrow - weather permitting. It was so crappy today that we did not flush his wounds, just cleaned him up and changed his clothes. He has been off Banamine for a week now (how time flies) and I stopped the Gastrogard shortly after that because he is eating hay constantly, whinnies for his grain, and is getting stomach soother with his SMZs. Of couirse I am ready to start it back again if I see any changes. I stopped taking his temp a day or so ago when he decided he didn't want to stand still for it! Vet agrees with that. He may remove some of the drains tomorrow and we talked about possibly using honey for wound treatment. I can buy local raw honey just up the road, so we will see. The good thing about the crappy weather is that Rusty doesn't need the mask when it is cloudy all the time. But NO ONE liked the weather here today. I started by sliding down the hill to the gate and freaking out Dancer who was not expecting a body to come at her like that! Then when I put on snowshoes for the next trip, she didn't like those either.

HA! Such great news about Rusty!!! And personally, I LOVE the raw honey for wounds. In the hospital, we used to use the raw honey mixed with Betadine for wounds or bedsores. So, I'm a great fan!!

Sorry the weather is not behaving, but so nice for Rusty to not have to wear his mask all the time. I look forward to Peter's visit and how he thinks 'professionally' how he's coming along! You've done such a wonderful job with him, Mary!!
default_pray.gif

Cant wait to hear what Peter thinks, I'm sure he is going to be delighted at Rusty's recovery progress. The honey idea is brilliant, such marvellous stuff!

Do be careful in that weather you are having Mary - we dont want to have to organise a bed for you alongside Rusty, although I dont think he would mind!

Thanks for keeping us updated.
default_yes.gif

Back