Rusty recovery....New Years Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
Hi all- Rusty is the tiny mini that was mauled on 11/9 by a presumed bobcat and was severely injured - near death - when he got to the hospital early on 11/10. He just got home today and still requires a LOT of care and will for a long time. We would appreciate eyes every once in awhile, especially overnight while we try to sleep. We are not sure if he can lie down on his own, so if you see him down please post that news. We have a baby monitor in the barn now so we can hear things in the night - you would not believe some of the stuff we hear - and hope we would hear if anything really bad was happening.

Rusty is wearing a mask because of corneal ulcers in both eyes from abrasion suffered in the attack and his wounds, mostly on his neck, are covered with breathable fabric. They need to be flushed daily. He is wearing a blanket because it was comparatively warm at the hospital and parts of him are clipped. He is on Banamine, ulcer meds, antibiotics, 3 eye medications, and some topical wound meds.

Cam link: http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=ontarget

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my gosh how awful!
default_sad.png
poor little guy! I've never heard of an attack like that, so scary!!! Hope he continues to heal both physically and mentally, that had to be terrifying for him! Sounds like he's very loved <3 xo

Mary you know that we will be only too happy to help you by watching over little Rusty bless him! I'm so glad that he is home as I'm sure that his recovery will be assisted by being back with his friends together with your love and care.
default_yes.gif

2.45am and he's standing quietly. Who is that next to him Mary?

That is Bunny next door. Second cam is supposed to be aimed outside but with today's weather he won't be going out yet anyway!

Thank you Anna!

Watching and praying for his continued recovery. I'm so thankful that he is now able to be home, where he knows he is loved in that special way only YOU can do. Thank you for allowing us to participate in helping him heal!
default_pray.gif

We will likely swap some horses around so it will probably not be Bunny in the next stall tonight. She is not the problem - Princess is. Princess woke us up around 2 AM playing with the wire we put up in Rusty's old stall to help keep out predators. I got up and kicked her out and I don't think she had a good night. Sox hates her and if she chased her, it was pouring outside. Not a good night to be out.

We did swap horses but we swapped Luna and Princess so Bunny is still next to Rusty. We will see how quiet they are tonight....

Poor little man. I'm not a member so I can't log into the cam. Hope he recovers as quickly as possible.

I just found out about the "member" thing on Mare Stare. They changed their policy at the exact time that Rusty arrived home from the hospital. Now you have to register and log in in order to view the cams. It is easy and free but not sure if you can register on the holiday. You can probably use your same username as you use on here - I know I did. I signed up years ago in order to be able to post on the message boards.

I will keep his video feed up and check on him whenever I am on, and I keep the computer on most of the time. Sending good vibes your way.

1.20pm and it looks as though he's 'grazing' quietly. How's the weather been Mary - have you been able to get him out for walkies/short bite of grass? Hopefully that nasty rain you were having has gone elsewhere now!

HI Anna - We took him out for a short Thanksgiving dinner of grass and to see his Dad shortly after you saw him. Quite cold and windy here today. So windy around here that the balloons in Macy's parade could not go up as high as usual, but they were allowed to go up.

Anytime I looked at him he appeared quiet, vacuuming his stall, and I did not see him lie down.

Well it's around 5.25am and I guess you will be up and about soon Mary - hope you had a peaceful night! I checked on Rusty several times during the night (it was a sleepless one for me!) and mostly he seemed to be grazing his hay, which in itself must be a good sign. Didn't see if he laid down at all, but I expect that it may be a few more days yet before he feels comfortable enough to do so, bless him.

Am hoping (and praying) that you are seeing recovery signs, even if they are small ones.
default_yes.gif

Appears things are the same as yesterday, praying he is stronger and healing.

He went for a slightly longer walk today and seemed stronger on the return. The wounds don't smell as bad when we flush them as they did on Wednesday. And he is eating, drinking and pooping! I think it will be awhile before he feels comfortable enough to lie down, but we haven't felt the need to put him in his harness (sling substitute) to keep his head up. As long as his breathing is normal we shouldn't need it.

Just took a peek at Rusty 11pm, he is quiet and standing still, resting peacefully in his stall! I am sure he is happy to be home in his stall getting all that loving care!! God Bless!!

Just took another look at 11:20 pm and he does appear to be laying down......he is right under the cam, back right corner from above so it is hard at that angle to see but I really think he is now laying down resting.......he does look comfortable and still quiet.

Still watching at 11:35 and yes he is laying down, looks comfy moving about his fronts legs a bit and his head moving a bit. I am guessing that is a good sign......at least he will get to rest comfortably.

I am off to bed.....Good Night Sweet Rusty!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't resist one last check after I just posted......he is up now! So he can get up and down quickly, very good Rusty! I think this is Good News!! Now I am really off to bed but I am smiling because I saw Rusty making great progress!!!!!!!!!!

Back