PICS PICS and more PICS Rhaps foaled COLT 4/30, Lovie 2 4/23 filly, Dixie 3/30 colt, Crissy 3/29 fil

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both girls are quiet standing in their stalls. Just perfect, Cassie!!! Both girls are quietyly standing in their stalls. Looking down the butt of Rap, she's looking a bit more slender on her sides, so I'll be baby is moving nicely into position. Liz, I've never used Regumate (although I'm considering it for 2 mares) so how soon after stopping the meds should she foal? You'll have to share your knowledge about it and your success stories, so I can make an "informed" decision on it for my girls. Education here is what it's all about -- while we wait! Thanks in advance!!!
Hi Diane I would be glad to give any info on the regumate....I use regumate for several reasons...if I have a prego and havent tested yet but have something streefull happeneing Ill use regumate. For Rhaposidy she has not been able to carry a preg over 60 days without the regumate this will be her 3rd baby, 1st colt was born on day 300 but didnt know to restart the regumate at day 290, second filly was born on day 314 started dropping the regumate at day 310 so with this one I started dropping the regumate at 318 days so not quite sure as to when she`ll foal but once the levels drop low enough she will go.......

Info on regumate.....I start it the day the mare says no 2cc per day, must have them sono for preganacy if so, then use till day 120, I drop the dose by .2cc a day this will take about 6-8 days, then on or about 290 days I start back up 2cc and continue till safe.... Hope this helps if you have any ? let me know

Hi Diane I know someone else who had a mare like that at 9 months ploop shed give the baby up...you can try regumate I would start it at or before the 9th month to see if by chance she`s having problems switching from the Placentia to her body....If you already know this sorry to repeat but the way it works is once a mare gets pregers her body starts producing hormones just like people everyday those hormones increase if the body dosent keep up then she losses the preganancy this continues till the placentia picks up the production of hormones about 90-120 days it stays that way till about 300 days when the placentia stops and the mares body starts again it could be that your mares placenta prematurely stops and the mares body dosent start yet so as the hormone drops the foal comes if thats the case then yes the regumate would help.....its a worth a try......

Yes, I think I will try it. It makes perfect sense, and it certainly is worth a try. She's a really pretty mare, and her babies have been beautiful, so I' going to try it! Thanks for the encouragement and information. I really didn't know much about it, and I think it's the way to go! Thanks again, Liz!
Not a prob Diane please keep me informed on how it goes ok? good luck and i

I`ll be keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out and next year you have a beautiful filly...lol

Liz, can I ask how you know the foal is near enough to birth to know when to start cutting down the meds? Do you have to chance that it is close enough and in position, or does the foal move into position as the amount of meds given reduces?

Hope this makes sense, just really interested in how these things work!

Liz, can I ask how you know the foal is near enough to birth to know when to start cutting down the meds? Do you have to chance that it is close enough and in position, or does the foal move into position as the amount of meds given reduces?

Hope this makes sense, just really interested in how these things work!
Hi Anna usually once the hormones drop the mare will act as if shes due and position the baby accordingly but it is a bit of keep your fingers crossed, you have to time it with the development of udders and of course the gestation.....her last foal was born at 314 days and this was a trial and error we wernt quite sure how it was going to work but as the mares levels dropped she got foal in position....so we are keeping fingers crossed that she dose the same this year......

I have been watching but mostly its been lots and LOTS of tail swishing. Although she took a fit of digging and is now back to standing

Ok so Lovie 2 is laid down and the other mare laid down did a bit of rolling and now back up and looking agitated.

I wonder if I should ring?? Renee are you watching??

She looks to have settled a bit and Lovie 2 is still down and that tail is still going swish swish

Liz,I sent you a message..And the camera is on super speed and I can't stop laughing...LOL..It's back to normal now..But that was FUNNY...rotflmao

Last edited by a moderator:
Find that girl's tail motor, and turn it down or off! I can't believe she's been doing this for 2+ days!!

Liz, is she off the medicines now? Are they any signs we're not seeing? Like how's her udder development? Anything else that will give "us" a clue from prior foalings?

I wish she could power my house with that tail -- think of all the electricity you could generate if you could find a way to capture that tail energy!
default_yes.gif
Diane I wish I could say there were some signs from other births but with both prior births shes fooled us just by chance had we caught them last year i check her before letting her in pasture for the day and nothing,let her out and from window 20 min later saw her stand there and do what I thought was a BIG poo but it was a foal so no, no signs given she will just gooooo.

I will try to get pics of udders but I will say she developes after foal on ground, this could be due to the regumate im not sure but I have decided not to stop the regumate completely seeing if she will foal normal just with the drop in doseage if not then will continue the drop....

Latest posts

Back