Laney (*filly* 4/10-Tinkerbelle) *New pics pg 187*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK another question.. Laney's feet need to be trimmed bad. I was hoping she would have foaled by now so I could have the farrier come out. She is very bad to trim and has to be twitched.. and it was a big struggle last time so I said I would wait until she foaled but they really need to be done. I don't know if I can wait 2 more weeks. Since she struggles so much for it do you think I should just wait and put a conditioner on her hooves in the mean time? Or bite the bullet and have him come out now? I don't want to stress her out so much at this point...

EDIT: I forgot AGAIN... Laney's udder is the same. Did not try to milk her. Want to wait till it fills more. I am about to go to bed.. totally exhausted for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good night/day everyone! I am poooooooped!
default_thud.gif

Depending on how bad is bad, I think I'd wait the two weeks. Raven also needs hers done, but as it got closer I was like just wait until she foals. A little length on the feet isn't worth stressing the mare AND foal for, imo.

Ring your farrier n see what hethinks but I dnt think you will be waiting all that long till you get your baby so maybe you can wait
default_smile.png

She is down sternal at 12:06am n lovie has had her foal!!!!! :D

Laney down sternal again at 1:33am looking comfortable Have to go home soon n make chocolate mousse ;) have friends coming over to watch downtown Abby season 2 episode 2 tonight yippee!!!!

Renee again can you msg me if your around n she decides to do anything??? Thanks so much!!

of course I will Cassie. I am jealous though that you are having a girly night watching Downtown Abbey.
default_yes.gif

Thanks ladies!!

I do think I will wait for the farrier. She has a real fit and I can't do that to her right now. That's how I have been feeling for the past weeks- just let her have the baby and we will worry about her feet after. I may put some hoof conditioner on them if it's ok to do to pregnant mares. The farrier is due to come in 2 weeks for Jake so I will have him come by here when he is out. I hope she does foal before then so we can take care of those feet!

Laney is 326 days today. Her udder looks the same as last night. It was COLD last night so I am glad she wasn't close. I will try to get to the feed store today and get the smaller jacket. I may buy some fleece and try to make another jacket for her to wear.

I have to go to the store today to get a few things for my best friend's bridal shower. I will go this morning while they are both in their pens and be home before it is time for their afternoon graze. If I could get some eyes on Laney please while I am gone please I would appreciate it. She doesn't look like she will go but still- I would feel better knowing she is being watched over.

Thank you ladies, as always!
default_worshippy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Nevermind- won't be going anywhere this morning.
default_thumbdown.gif

I will watch as much as I can Megan. Yes I too would wait if it is going to upset her, how bad are her feet? Can you take a pic to show us?

I can take a photo while I am outside and I will send it so you can see. I am going to the feed store when hubby gets home and will look for a hoof conditioner safe for pregnant mares. I am afraid of them cracking or chipping until she gets trimmed. She doesn't like me handling her feet but I am going to try to clean them today and see how she does.

I am not going to the store now until after I put them up for dinner. Have to wait for the hubby.

Laney has been rubbing her butt and pushing it against things this morning. I am going to check her and let her out soon.

I just saw her rubbing against the far fence. You can use olive oil for her feet too which is safe, if you have any empty spray bottle you can use that, if she is skittish about the noise just cough loud when you spray it
default_yes.gif

Laney nowhere to be seen -obviously out enjoying her pasture time!!

I wouldn't worry about her feet Megan - you have had a lot of rain recently and this will have kept her feet moist to help with any possible cracking. Actually short feet can crack and chip just as easily as longer feet, it is all to do with the 'make up' of the hoof strength, some horses just have weaker type feet than others. My lot all seem to have extremely hard type feet - makes for a lot of extra effort when trying to trim them LOL!! But several years ago I had a mare who had been so badly abused by humans that in the 12 years that I had her (until I had her put down in her 20's) I was never able to lay even a gentle hand on her, let alone get closer than 2 feet away from her. She, luckily, had feet that chipped and so on the hard summer ground and the frozen winter ground, she 'timmed' her own feet - she always had beautifully tidy, perfectly rounded good looking feet, so much so that I'm sure any visitors thought I must have worked on them every 4 weeks!!

I was going to wait on the feet but while I was out feeding tonight one had a big chuck chipped off. My farrier was scheduled to come out in 2 weeks but I am emailing him photos so he can decide if he wants to come and work on them now. I won't post picks on here but if you want to see I can pm them. I knew they were long but I didn't think they would chip that bad. With all the rain I thought she would be ok like you said Anna... but maybe she just has poor hooves compared to most?

I am running to the feed store to exchange the jacket and I may run by another store so I will be gone for a while. Laney was rolling outside in the big pasture which I have never seen her do- but baby seemed very active when she did so I think she was uncomfy.

Her udder seems to have gone down on one side. Hasn't gone down at all in a while.

Be back later! She is in eating right now.

K I am back. Send pics to the farrier. Waiting for a reply.

default_whistling.gif

Time for dinner...
default_thumbup.gif

Laney lost volume in her udder today for the first time in a while. She is very uncomfortable but the baby was active when I saw her so moody and rubbing her bum and such.

I am getting in bed. Have a nice night/day everyone.
default_yes.gif

Hmmmm..... doing what she does best...eating!lol I think she learned that from Raven!lol

Sorry I wont be able to marestare for you ladies for a few days as I am as we speak having my hair done, then Seamus home after an 11 1/2 wks stint at work and off to Connemara tomorrow for the weekend or a wedding. I will keep tuned when I can and tell Laney she can only have that baby on the 31st LOL

Latest posts

Back