Kate ~ Testing READY!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in splendora which is NE ofHouston.... only a cpl of hours from temple i believe... my mare Kate is 13:2... thar may be why you thought him bigger too. Next time your here stop by...
default_smile.png

I would love to see pics of all of yours... its hard to find those stocky shetlands... your lucky!

Lol Right, she is really something else....
default_wub.png

Ok so we are 3 weeks old (ish) havent done an exact count though I know I need to because Kate should be coming into heat again and I really want to try to hold her off a few months....

Heidi now allows ball play, we can put it on her back and bounce it off of her... She also lifts and holds all 4 feet. She is so willing. wont be much longer and we will start halotering andf leading, I am sure she3 will be just as easy.

I think she is going to be a really wonderful pony!

31615 014.jpg

31615 015.jpg

31615 017.jpg

Yes Rebecca! Thats our 8 acres of trails we ride through.... I love it not being cleared and just having trails, though it would be an amazing pasture, I just so enjoy the serinity of it!

Today I noticed Kate is in deed in heat so she is in a seperate paddock, hope I can hold her back a few cycles!

On another note.... My Grace has yet to cycle....which in itself this year isnt an issue at all, even though I have friends with mares starting cycles already , even if transitional. However Grace has been here sense Feb of 2014 and has never shown heat.... She is 3 yrs old now, I dont mind her not getting bred this year, as we have plans to ride, however its going to make it very hard to tell when she is in if she doesnt show....to either let her breed or to keep her seperated.

I have never had a mare not cycle/ show so this is all new for me.... Ive been reading about it, just wondering if anyone has had this ?

Hey Holly, I did last year with a little mare. I actually thought she wasn't cycling so I had an ultrasound done on her to find out if there was an underlying problem. She was actually cycling , as my vet said she is one of those mares that is not obvious to the eye. I asked my vet the same question " how will I know when she actually is? My vet gave her a PG shot to bring her into season. Obviously by the ultrasound we determined that she was not in foal as the shot would have aborted the foetus. She came in season within 2-3 days. Now my other mare - Well people in space can see she's is in season.

I guess mares can be quite different in the way they "show their feelings" or so to say
default_smile.png

Hope this is of help to you
default_smile.png

Kate just had Heidi! No way she wants to breed again! She just delivered 4 little hooves! I can't believe this! I thought they waited until the baby was like maybe 6 months or something. That is just crazy.

I would not have made a very good horse. Just saying' lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol Kim, she was in foal heat a week after foaling, normal for horses! Yikes I know!!

Ryan, thank you... i am thinking i will wait til may if she continues on with no display i can get her to the vet to see if there is a reason she isnt or if she is just not showy.

And like your mare, Kate is very obvious, all the mares Ive ever had have been lol. This is most frustrating!

I call mares like that silent seasoners. My youngest is a silent seasoner. Usually if you have a older more seasoned....( no pun intended ;) stallion he can tell she's in. They are tricky

I've had mares that were not obvious, but having stallions on the farm is a dead give-away on those sneaky ladies. Nothing like a stallion to let you know!!!

Ive been hoping he can tell, but how did he go an entire year pastured with her and never once try to breed? I dont think its him, because the second kate is in he KNOWS... But Grace he never seems interested in her. I thought maybe last year she was just to young, she is now 3 so maybe this year he will notice changes and I can do what is needed.

Latest posts

Back