jj in foal? new mares pictures/soon jewel too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep that is right, pop it in her mouth and offer her a carrot or an apple after cos it tastes aweful.

Dose is better to check with Diane cos we weigh our horses in kg's here in Europe so I wouldn't want to get the conversion wrong. (I think I give 2cc but I need to check my notes)

2cc is a correct dosage. It's given 1cc / 100 pounds -- but I usually only give 2cc for post-partum cramping. I give it after the placenta has passed. Then watch to see if she requires more later on. Usually 1 dose does the trick.

I think if you're seeing wax at the end of her nipples, you shouldn't leave her, as they can go down and foal very quickly. Baby's usually take their first breath within 30 seconds of delivery, but after 6 minutes they are gone. So you see why we insist on contant monitoring -- six minutes isn't very long and without help and/or necessary stimulation, you can lose a foal.

Praying for a safe and uneventful delivery of a healthy baby!
default_pray.gif

Oh wow.. Our mare, Jewel.. her udder and belly was so hard the day before she foaled. There was a swollen type edema in front of her udder on her under belly that was very hard as well. I massaged that area as it appeared to be bothering her a lot and she took well to that although it did seem painful at first to do so and then.. I noticed it looked like it made her have a contraction too... so I tho't hmm... could be tonight but I was so exhausted, from company, events and all, that I never woke up for the whole event at all and missed the whole thing. Thankfully, everything went well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I remember! We Aunties took a DEEP SIGH of relief that everything went well for you!! Scares us Aunties to death when these little ladies are left there on their own with no help. But in this case, all went well, and that baby is just precious!

Last edited:
just got pictures.will upload when hubby gets home. .udder is ready I think. Couldnt get much fuller. The beads of honey are gone off her teats and teats pointing down.

She looks thinner behind her tummy on the sides then she was. The muscles on each side of her tail are softer. Not jello but soft.

Oh wow.. Our mare, Jewel.. her udder and belly was so hard the day before she foaled. There was a swollen type edema in front of her udder on her under belly that was very hard as well. I massaged that area as it appeared to be bothering her a lot and she took well to that although it did seem painful at first to do so and then.. I noticed it looked like it made her have a contraction too... so I tho't hmm... could be tonight but I was so exhausted, from company, events and all, that I never woke up for the whole event at all and missed the whole thing. Thankfully, everything went well.
I do hope you realise that you were one of the very few lucky ones. As we have seen many too times here on the site, unattended births don't usually turn out with a happy ending
default_sad.png

I can't wait for pics

I would re-organise your day tomorrow and leave it completely free (surely the kiddies will understand?) as if you dont get a foal tonight, then she may give you a day time foaling! Anything is possible from now on.
default_yes.gif

Is she quite relaxed with you being near her/in and around her stall at night? This is where it helps if you have been making regular night time visits to her and sharing a few scratches/friendly chat - mares that have been visited are a lot more relaxed when you are in their stall as they are foaling. When you see the little white 'bubble' appear during contractions, dont hang back! Get quietly as close as you can and when you see the feet appear (one will be slightly in front of the other to be correct) then, if she will allow you, feel gently inside up along the front of the now appearing legs to see if you can feel the little snub of a nose coming. Finding the nose means that all is well at this stage an that you are good to go - or rather she is! If you want to help further - always a good idea - then simply hold the legs half way up he cannon bones and GENTLY keep some pressure there as each contraction comes, guiding the legs down towards her hocks not straight out towards you. The head should clear her vulva next, then the shoulders and finally the hindquarters. Keep the baby curving round Jewel's body so that the front legs are almost level with her front legs - she will be able to reach baby's muzzle once she sits up and reaches round - and the hind feet are either still just inside her or just clear of her. As soon as the hindquarters clear the vulva, then take a moment to clear the bag off the baby's head as she/he will now need to take that important first breath.

Do you have a bottle of something to swab the cord with when it breaks? It is always good if the mare will stay laying down for a while to allow the blood to run through the cord from her to her new baby, then the cord will break naturally as the mare gets up. But some mares rush to their feet and the cord gets snapped quickly. Not to worry, but you may see a fair amount of blood coming from the mare's end of the cord - this will stop on its own, but you may need to pinch the foal's end of the cord between your fingers to stop any blood leaking back from her/him - should seal in a few moments but if not, have a thin piece of string (or similar) handy, dip it in your 'swab bottle' to disinfect it and tie it tightly round the end of the cord. Bleeding will stop and the cord stub plus the string will fall off naturally in a few days.

While the foal is lying there, dont forget to check for the sex as you swab the cord - easier to do now before the foal gets up! Then give the foal a bit of a rub down with a dry towel to encourage circulation. It's good if you can get all this done before Jewel gets to her feet - once up she may well not want you interferring with her baby, do be careful as, while a lot of mares are happy to have you near their babies, a lot of mares become very protective for a few days after the birth - a very natural instinct!

Sorry, I seem to have had one of my 'rambling sessions' again LOL!! Will just add my good wishes for a safe and smooth foaling and a healthy little baby! Good luck!!
default_yes.gif

I think we should Renee! Great idea! :D

So do you have a little bubba at your place yet? As the girls have said if she hasn't gone yet she will foal very soon!! It's very important that you be there for when the foal is born, because even if the foal comes out ok you need to clear the nasal passages so it can breath, my last foal that was born had alot of fluid after birth I had to get him up quick and clear it all out.... And besides all the scary factors it is absoloutly amazing seeing your first little foal arriving to the world, mummas first nickers to her new born baby...

Also have you got a syringe ready in case he she doesn't latch on and you have to milk the mare once or twice and do you have an enema for baby in case he struggles passing that first poop? I'm sure you will be fine us aunties get a might protective of "our" little ones that are born here
default_smile.png

Safe foaling!

( gosh now I'm rambling lol sorry)

I'm thinking that's a wonderful post, too!!

I'm also thinking of posting some easy manipulations that can be done to help foals that are presentinga little "off"....say with one foot bent down, etc. Nothing harder on a mare's gentle insides than to have a foal present with only one foot and be pulling on just one foot, rather than gently reach in and pull up the other foot so momma can deliver more easily. Maybe something like that would be helpful too.

Cassie, maybe you could rename your thread, and we could copy and paste these things there! I hate to pin too many threads, as we have so many mares to watch we'll push them off the first page! LOL

]k well here we are..

all appointsment cancelled for tommorrow..

new friend that foals out horses for others on speed dial with a warning I will be calling her if i need. She said check for the lil feet and nose and if doesnt look her then call her then..she is about 1/2 hour away. She has the colostrum stuff that you get from the vet..IG something...$130 a bottle which I do not want to get unless I need it.

have banamine..tetanus..navel dip iodine, flashlight . heavy sleeping bag etc. Rain coming tonight.

ghere are the pictures...

jewelfront.JPGsunkhips.JPG

seems softer right here

softbytail.JPGjewelvulvaxx.JPGhoochie.JPGjewelbag.JPG

jewelmilk.JPG

Anna C..that is exactly what I needed to pull all the things I have read all together and make me feel prepared! Thank you!

oh she is very relaxed around me..she knows i am her buddy. I have not been doing night checks..but think we will be okay

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait for pictures!!!!

WOW! Two more safely on the ground!!! Kankakee at Kinney miniatures just foaled a black pinto colt!!!

Last edited:
WOW!!!! Just lovely!!!!!

I don't give tetanus shots to mine, so I guess I'm not the one to ask. Don't forget to give mom her Ivermectin wormer within these first 12 hours though, and take momma's halter off so baby doesn't get a leg caught!!!

FANTASTIC pretty little girl!!!!!! Guess we know what you'll be doing tomorrow!!!

Latest posts

Back