jj in foal? new mares pictures/soon jewel too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm Jewel doesn't even look that big to me... I forget, is she a maiden?

It could be foal size difference or some mares carry their foals up higher than others.

no Jewel has foaled before

just sent some pictures to her old owner who has foaled wither numerous times. She told me she looks like we are looking at a few days!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Love your silver buckskin! I too am a fan of the dark knees! Hope you get your baby soon! The waiting is soo hard!!

Mares carry their babies differently, just as people do! It will depend on the number of pregnancies and how "stretched out" they are, the amount of fluid they're carrying, etc. Just like some people look like they are carrying just a basketball -- and others look like there is a whale inside! (Personally, I had a lot more WHALE pregnancies -- and all of mine but one were born 2+ months early and premature -- but my daughters each looked like they had little basketballs, and one little basketball grandson was almost 10 pounds!!)

Each to their own -- as long as those precious little ones are happily and safely brought to the ground!!

Last edited:
I did go away for most of the weekend..got a little big horse ride in

So anyway when I checked to day jewels milk is much thicker and very sticky. Still no whiteness that i could see. I put it in my hand which was not the cleanest at the time. But thicker and very sticky CLEAR with a very very slight tinge of amberish..kind of like diluted tree sap..but lighter

Oh that sounds promising, can we have some new pics when you have time please.
default_smile.png

Sounds as though she is getting very close, keep a close eye on her! And yes, some updated pictures would be great.
default_yes.gif

I still don't think she is "ready" but we will see. Shouldn't be long I don't think..just don't know if its time to move into the barn

here is her "milk" it is light amber and salty..yes I did taste it.
default_yes.gif
jewel milk.JPG

it has changed color and thickened and gotten sticky in a day or 2

heres jewels udder

jewelmilkbarl.JPG

judder.JPG

and vulva

jewelprivates.JPGjewvulvacolor7.JPG some deep red spots

DSC05506.JPG DSC05507.JPGjewfromtop.JPG

woohoo! won't be long, a little more rolling to get baby in position and some seperating of the teats and she will be good to go!

JJ is looking Massive LOL, looks like she is starting to fill in the teats (even though she doesn't have much of a bag) so I'd still be watching her closely just in case...

both girls are absoloutley gorgeous!

cassie..thank you . I really love my mini's. Hard to see that they are beautiful..when all the shots are mostly privates and boobies! Jewel has gotten to be so much af a lover. She used to get treats now she gets kisses and seems to be adjusting pretty good to them

Is it time to..what? sleep in barn? start night checks? will her milk get milky colored?

jj is huge. She has seemed like her vulva has been soft forever.

I forgot to add I took a video of jewel and her tail laxivity. Not really sure but unless she was just very relaxed there was no resistance side ro side and minimal resistance up.

I would definitley start the night checks... the Aunties with more experience might say something different, but I think Jewel could go anytime now, and with JJ filling up her teats and having a soft vulva I would be checking on her at the same time...

won't be long now
default_smile.png

Well I would be moving to the barn, plus making sure that there are eyes to watch them throughout the day too - too many little ones are lost when mares pull a 'sneaky' and foal between night checks, simply not worth the risk in my opinion!

In the years before we had internal cameras, I used to do checks every 20 minutes, plus each time I would spend 10 minutes or so outside just observing the girls, watching for any changes in their behaviour or little clues that something might be happening. On the nights that I thought someone might be close I would grab a thermos and my book and settle down out there to watch and wait. Even when we eventually got cameras one of us would sit up at night to watch the screen and that person would still go out for those checks every 20 mnutes, mainly to pick up any droppings to keep the stables clean for foaling, or to offer a little more hay, plus observe any last minute clues that would not necessarily be apparent via a flat screen.

We owe it to our wonderful girls to be right there for them at foaling time, they put their trust in us and it is up to us to meet that responsibility.

Good luck, safe foaling when the time comes!
default_yes.gif

I agree with Anna. We are resposible for our mares and their babies so in my opinion it is time to move in to the barn so you can see them. I lost a couple of foals doing 30 min night checks years back and I still regret not having been there to help the foals out of the sac. Once I met Diane and Anna and they taught me how things work I didn't lose anymore.

today jewels udder feels harder. There was a color change to a little darker- light honey colored clear milk. very sticky..vulva looks a bit darker. I mat start test stripping her milk. .

I have running I have to do today. Hoping all will until I get back. No behavior changes..no rtestless, pawing, etc. .

I may be wrong..but is the milk not supposed to turn cloudy and whitish before foaling?

here we go..coming soon!

ALSO get regular banamine Injectable and give orally..is that what I read? How much?

yes but the final change can happen in the last hour before foaling. I wouldn't leave her alone from now on, get your blanket and chair out cos you need to be sleeping right by her
default_yes.gif

her udder is "rock hard" She has small honey colored dot at each nipple end. i am going to go get pictures so others can use them to gauge their mares. I loved the pictures that others posted during their journey

I have a fresh load of clean hay bales ..perfect spot for a bed. i have 2 numbers for experienced horse folks..prob both too far away to get here quick, but maybe able to talk me through something...

and i have a full schedule of appointments tomorrow for the grandkids,,figures

Some are important but if i have to I will reschedule i guessJewel is a bit more aggressive today. She drove Misty away from me pretty harshly.She is always pushy but not so aggressive

ALSO get regular banamine Injectable and give orally..is that what I read? How much?

Latest posts

Back