jj in foal? new mares pictures/soon jewel too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh, my, my , my! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
default_risa8.gif

As Renee said, what you are looking for is a foal that seems a bit lethargic, or "unbalanced" when she gets to her feet. You can give her lots of stimulation, and a few boosts with the syringe, and she should catch on pretty quick! I'm glad you gave her the added 12 cc's. Good choice!

She's simply lovely!!

LOL she never stops moving..think she must be doing ok! I will keep watch on her thogh...don't want a sick baby.new pictures coming soon...as hubby will upload in a bit. She is so mch prettier today then last night

awe.. so very happy for you. I'm so glad everything went well and that you were able to be there. I have read so many posts of even people who do have those mare cams.. and they STILL miss the whole thing by just a few minutes! I DID try for over a month to moniter our little horse.. I only slept ONE night.. the night she foaled as I suppose it was all meant to be for me and for the horse. I can't afford another round in the hospital from fatigue... and it still has been an issue lately for my heart. I sure didnt need it to go into spasms again and head into ER. Some things have to just be weighed out. I never even heard our alarm go off that night.

Congratulations .. a beautiful color.. now I sure hope you can spend time enjoying watching baby and mamma together. a precious time for sure. Every eve.. we go out and let the 3 all run in a large open pen. The baby equates 'Fun' recess time when we come out to work in their pen. Its so fun to have the little baby run around and show off for us.

Hope you can get a bit of rest now... NOT yet..
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh she's just sooooooooooooooo pretty, very cute too!! As long as she staying active and rushing around, then I would think that she is now getting enough milk. Some foals suck for a minute or two at a time, others like to take 'sips', but hearing slurping noises is always good!

Our vets once said to us that they like to see a foal having 26 swallows each time it drinks and that we should be watching for this - I told them that they were welcome to come and lay down on the floor each time a foal went to drink to be able to see any swallows! LOL!! I'm sure none of our foals have ever stayed there long enough to get 26 swallows done - they are too keen to be off chasing around.
default_yes.gif

Yes to give baby as much space as possible is pretty important so to expand their barn space and to get a safe area fenced for them as soon as possible would be great.

I think onyx is sick. She doesnt seem to have the spark she did yesterday. I waltched her pee and when I went over to check there was a few globs of bloody mucousy stinky stuff

I am searching for a trialer soI dont have to drive the 2 hours to get mine here. Off to vet..pray

Oh no! The baby? Are you sure the mucus was from baby and not from the mamma plopping it on the ground?? Oh no.. I'm so sad. hoping all goes ok for you. You have done such a great job taking care of this little one and sure would know if something isnt right. Hoping it all goes well to get trailer or to have someone come to help you.

when trailering mom and baby what is thebest way to do it? was thinking let themloose in it. Its a 2 horse with divider out but a pole is stillthere

Oh no, hope I'm not checking in after you have left! Calm down and take a deep breath, get a childs digital thermonator and put vaseline on it and take the foals temp rectally, check her gums for paleness and check for rapid breathing. Then call the vet and tell them everything, about the mucus, blood, temp, respiration and gum color.See if they can come to your place, it is well worth the emergency call, but if not, yes you can haul in your trailer, bed it down heavily with straw and leave mom and baby loose so baby can lay down if necessary and mom can balance. Good luck, sending prayers, and well wishes, and please let us know how it goes. Don't forget to take those deep breaths!

Yes Terry is right, nice deep bed and leave them loose. I am guessing you have spoken to the vet and them coming to you isn't an option?

Latest posts

Back