Anna's Girls - Updated news.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!! Oh dear you lot always manage to make me laugh!! I texted Cathy telling her to check that there were no chickens/baby piglets/small boys reported missing - no, all present and correct!!

With the pics of her laying down, Cathy happened to be watching and saw her give a couple of minor 'jerks' so she rushed out of the lorrry - just in case! - but Nutty was just dreaming. So Cathy grabbed the camera for the pics, yes she may look huge but you can just see that there isn't any bag. By this time in ALL her past pregnancies Nutty always has a huge bag and that plus her normal huge size makes her seem to 'hobble' walk during the last week, even causing her to occasionally catch/lock her left stifle as she turns to the right. No sign of either a bag nor any stifle problems so far this year???

Cassie, regarding tails most of the folk here will be horrified to learn that we do NOTHING!! All our horses live as near a totally natural life as possible - they are scruffy, dirty, greasy in general and their manes and tails are usually a tangled mess. The only ones that receive 'attention' are any that might be going to show and those mares who 'come in' on that month before foaling and the month or so afterwards. I do go round twice a year and chop off the ends of tails to a couple of inches above ground level. This year it has been the turn of the 7 mares over with Cathy and she has been hand picking out their manes and tails for them. They dont get groomed as we dont want to upset the balance of natural grease etc in their coats as they will soon go back to living the 'natural' life again, but as you can see from Nutty's coat, they do 'gleam' with natural health during the summer months. Cathy does do the odd scratch with a hairbrush along their backs/spines if she catches them having difficulty in 'reaching' an itchy spot - big tummies do get in the way of a good scratch sometimes! LOL!!

Nutty has an allergy to a special midge/fly/bug during August every year if allowed to live near a pond. She will rub her mane and the top of her tail like mad, no matter what we try to put on her, anti midge stuff wise. But by the end of August she has stopped and it all grows back again ready for the next August and none of her children have inherited the problem - thank goodness!!

None of the other mares seem to be developing any udder, so it looks that, unless they are all going to go well over time, little Vee is the only one who is going to produce a baby for us. She is the 'last' on our list to foal and is actually due (on her dates) next weekend, which is causing us a little concern, not from the foaling side of things, but from the 'companionship' side. We were so hoping that there would be a second foal to keep Vee's company for a while. The other two are now a month old and well ahead in their development, plus the fact that Vee can be a bit of 'protective' Momma and she and Narcotics have a love/hate relationship. I can see Vee's foal wandering too near to Narcotics when it is a couple of weeks old and Vee racing in to challenge Narcotics!! Or Wizz or Foxy will want to meet up with the new baby only to find that they are met with a small bay whirlwind of aggression for their trouble!! It will all take a bit of careful watching and management to get them all settled down again. Blessed are the brood mares! LOL!!

Have a great day my friends.
default_yes.gif

I had the same problem with Merlin and Arthur cos Merlin is way too friendly and Odette is way too protective, after she kicked Merlin for trying to investigate the new boy on the block I had to separate them, they didn't go back together until Arthur was 2 weeks old.

Judging by those pics Anna if you don't get a foal soon I think a certain lady will need to attend a few Weight Watchers classes. ROFL

Your girls make mine look trim ROFL

I have a question for you ladies - dont know why I forgot this, but so much going on round here right now, it had slipped my memory!

It concerns Nutty (of course LOL!!). About a week ago Cathy was doing her usual 'feel the bag' sessions and was also cleaning Nutty's udder between the two halves (which Nutty loves!). Cathy moved down to feel one of the teats for any possible filling and as she slid her fingers down the teat a jet of pure white milk shot out. Cathy stopped straight away as we dont normally test for milk or even try to milk any as we follow the old fashioned belief that one shouldn't 'break' the teats natural seal.

So my question is - can a mare that last produced a foal in May 2010 still produce milk/white milk? As of today Nutty still has no sign of a developing udder?????

Or do we now hold out the hope that there might be a foal hidden in there?

At the risk of being redundant .....

Zoe, only, with her #4 foal produced a bag prior to foaling. That was a foal the vet disagreed with me on it's month of foaling.

I said August, he said June and she was waaaaaay overweight by August and Zoolii came out with rolls of fat on her.

Nothing in foals 1 thru 3 nor with foals 5 & 6.

She milks like a cow but even during nursing never has a the big bag like some others speak of.

I do not, with her, consider using the bag as a sign of impending birth.

Oh my goodness Anna! What a wonderful way to await for the foals
default_thumbup.gif
. Looks like you are all having a wonderful time
default_thumbup.gif
. I have missed do much. Vernica didn't have much of a bag before she foaled, but she filled after. Wish I could help more. I say hold out hope that Nutty will foal.BWDIK.

I loves all the pics. All your girls are beautiful and it so warms my heart to see another little human boy loving his chips too. Times like that is what I call really living and loving life.

oh I'm so hoping she is in foal for you Anna!

remember when we thought Penny was in foal... I could express milk from her but it was never WHITE..and she hasn't had a baby since 2008... I'm so so hoping she has a baby cooking in there!!!

Anna I am not really sure as all mares are so different. You remember Odette fooling me last year cos she looked soooo preggo and she had milk that went down on the strips as she got closer, she was easy to express and it was white. This year I found it hard to get more than a drop until after she foaled. she is the only older mare that I have so I don't know if she is the "norm"

I am crossing my fingers and toes for a Nutty Baby
default_pray.gif

I am joining the club of hoping there is a baby in there
default_smile.png

Earlier this morning I was just getting in to reponding to your coments here when emergency call from Cathy. Young Kyrian had a raging temperature and a rash had come up all over his legs, so she needed to pop him down to the doctors. I therefore had to rush to cathy's to keep an eye on Vee who was causing some concern with her behaviour.

Well it all turned out ok - Kyrian just has a virus of some sort. Doc's orders were to simply keep him cool, get him out in the fresh air as much as possible (no difficulty there!!) and he will be fine, no medicine needed! I love the way the Welsh doctors push the kiddies outside in the air for the cures to most of their problems!!

Vee was also fine while I was there for the morning. She is not feeling very comfortable and from the middle of last night had been having some very watery droppings - and I mean watery as against loose! She was still eating and grazing happily, but after a couple of hours out on the grass, she stood for quite a while snoozing, no rolling or anything and the report from Cathy this evenng is that her droppings have more or less retrned to normal. Of course we kept getting in a panic, thinking that maybe she has an infection and/or the foal has died, but no, the little fella/lass produced a couple of kicks to prove that it is still with us!! But I wouldn't be suprised if she foals tonight - I really hope so because poor Cathy is really exhausted right now, with her mare caring, plus her elderly in law parent caring plus loads of 'official' paper work that she has on her plate at the moment, so she could do with some sleep!

Thank you all for your comments on the possibility of a not in foal mare having milk. I did know that it was possible, but was more interested in the colour being pure white, as I had no idea what colour it would/could be in a non pregnant mare. Cathy and I spent a while just standing behind Nutty in the field once Cathy returned from the Doctors, watching her tummy!! All I can say is that the lower 'bulge' sways happily/sort of rolls from side to side as she moves - but that just goes to show how 'fat' her tummy area is LOL!! So nothing conclusive to report!!

Thank you Diane, once again, for your knowledgable info, I really appreciate it.
default_yes.gif
In the past I have had an elderly little fella with both cushings and laminitis, back in the days before the modern drugs were around to help, but he happliy lived on for another 15 years (the last 6 spent loose on the farm, terrorising the stallions, trampling my lawn, sampling some of my plants and sneaking off down the drive to visit the next door neighbour's orchard!!) and was put down aged 35 when the silly bu**er slipped and fell on a patch of concrete chasing too fast round a corner - he cracked his shoulder. I'm pretty sure Nutty doesn't have cushings (yet!) as she's far too active, always in the middle of the regular racing and chasing that goes on, she also has no difficulty with her coat (losing it after the winter) plus she is a person of considerable mental capacity - no fudging going on in her brain I can tell you!! LOL!!

So my friends, keep your fingers crossed for little Vee and as for Nutty - well, time will tell.
default_yes.gif

Cathy on the phone - VEE PUSHING!!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
:pray

Vee has had her colt as expected and all is well so far!
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp

Very fast, straightforward foaling - he is only about twice the size of Mrs Nest (JR) and "very ugly" - Cathy's words LOL!! ALL WHITE (!!) small bit of brown round one eye and across his forehead and tips of ears, one stifle and a brown end to his tail, maybe a blue eye - all this came over the phone while waiting for the cord to break. Will get more info and maybe a pic for you a bit later when Cathy rings back after 'attending' to Vee and her new son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw! Congrats, looks to be a fine little colt. Can't wait to see him unfolded.

oh my, he is gorgeous! and from what I can see not at all ugly!!

congrats guys! YAY Vee!! wow was so not expecting that colour LOL

hope Cathy's little boy gets better soon, poor little man!

I presume so Bree. Dragon, the foal's sire is obviously chestnut (sorrel) and white. Vee's sire is an appy (black based I think), not sure about her dam, but presume she could either be bay or chestnut to produce Vee (??) who is a 'complete' strong bay with not a peep of white.

Thanks for all the congrats my friends - the colour was a bit of a shock to Cathy too!! So far Vee has produced a solid bay to my 'liver chestnut' Falabella, a 'grey/mushroom' dun to my red dun Mootie and her last foal (full sister to this one) is chestnut/minimal pinto, with a narrow white blaze and a small white spot under one flank. So all that white is certainly Dragon's doing. LOL!!

Wow anna what a cutie pie, i can't wait to see him dry. Are you going up to see him today?

Congratulations :0)

I did manage a very quick visit today (madly busy!) and have to say he really is a cute fella - so over friendly that I couldn't manage to get any pics except some bad ones of his head LOL!! Will try for some better ones if I go tomorrow.

Vee had a little problem in the early hours of this morning. Cathy eventually allowed herself a doze at around 2 am (Vee had foaled around 10.30 pm) when all seemed ok. She checked Vee again at 4.30am, all well, but by 5.30 Vee was showing signs of colic, so Cathy gave our lovely vets a call - never take chances with colic especially soon after a mare has foaled. The lovely Philippa shot into the yard about just over 10 minutes later - no idea where she came from as she is based half an hour away, dread to think how fast she drove if she came from home!! Vee had a comprehensive exam, all seemed ok, plus temp and pulse/heart all normal, so it was just a simple tummy ache after foaling, but just seemed strange as usually mare's 'react' more or less as soon as they foal if they are going to be suffering from 'after pain'?

Anyway Vee had her pain killer jab and Phil left us a tube of painkiller stuff (same as your banamine) just in case. She then made Cathy turn Vee out into the field for a couple of hours - "best thing for her, not so good for the foal quite so soon, but he will manage and the mare needs the grass" Luckily the sun was already up and warm so no harm done. Vee came back in for a late breakfast (baby crashed out on the straw) while the other girls went for their time out and later in the afternoon Cathy repeated the proceedure, getting them all in to give Vee and baby the field to themselves for another couple of hours. Vee was fine after her painkiller jab ran out and still ok by late this evening so guess it was just one of those things. Phil phoned again at lunchtime to check on Vee's progress and said that she had been telling everyone at the Equine hospital that she and Lisa run, all about the cute little foal she had been visiting during the early hours! LOL!!

Latest posts

Back