Anna's Girls - Updated news.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Anna,
default_saludando.gif
how are you and the girls today?

Morning Renee. I'm fine thank you - would be even better if this pesky rain would give us a break! The girls are all fine, but Cathy is having problems with the weather as she wont turn the two mares and their foals out in the 'misty drizzle' unless she is free to rush out to collect them if the rain does a down pour, not easy as she is the indoor 'carer' and unless someone else comes in to take over, she cant just pop out! I may well pop over today to visit so will give some updates later on the udders and tummies of the remaining girls.
default_yes.gif

Here are some pics for Diane. This was May 2011 when Kyrian was just 3 and he was teaching his filly (almost a yearling) how to go 'walkies' round the farm. You know how useless we are about bothering to teach any of our foals to be haltered and lead until they are usually well over weaning age when we find they accept everything with no trouble, well this filly had first worn a headcollar just three days earlier and had been lead without problems from her stall in the barn, down the barn and directly out into the field (same barn set up that Cathy is using this year) This filly was Kyrian's special friend and he had spent several months playing with her in the field (I did post pics of the pair of them ages ago out in the field together, if anyone remembers),.and she did have an exceptional temperament otherwise we would never have let him take her for her first 'walk about', plus Cathy was there, albeit busy taking the pictures! Anyway here they are on the filly's first time out of her comfort zone and doing proper walkies on a lead.

march12001-1.jpg

march12002.jpg

march12009.jpg

More next post!

ps. You probably noticed that he dropped the lead rope when it suited him - by the river and in the last picture - but she still didn't leave his side, bless her!!

Oh Anna I love seeing pics of these 2 little angels, thanks for sharing, they have really cheered me up
default_smile.png

LOL!! Diane - there is no fooling you is there! She is actually a pintaloosa - Dragon x Spotted Mummy mare. We sold her last Autumn together with another of Dragon's yearling fillies to a wonderful fun family, small farm, two kiddies and they run a film company - do kiddies programmes on channel S4C here in Wales, and they used/use the two minis in their programmes.

Here's a few general pics from my visit to Cathy's today. Thought I could see some small changes in the possibly pregnant girls, but simply cannot understand why they all have 'milk veins' but no bags? Never had a year like it - our girls ALL normally do the 'bagging up from approx 4 weeks' programme. Even little Vee, who's tummy is huge, still has no udder???

Anyway here are the pics. General view down the barn showing Cathy's bottom half with her foaling boxes down the right hand wall and the big cow pens down the left - the far end one is open from the field for the girls run in. Then one taken from what will be Vee's foaling stable - jutts out to almost meet the front of the lorry. Then snoozing babies and last one of the other girls in the run in. (hopefully I can get them all in one post!)

june12076.jpg

june12077.jpg

june12079.jpg

june12083.jpg

june12081.jpg

Beautiful pictures Anna
default_wub.png

Wish I had a river! We've just got dams. Although given the rain we've been having my hay paddock is now a lake
default_new_rofl.gif

Anna, what great pictures and I love your stream.....it just feels so "cool"

Kyrian just seems to be such a natural horseman....cool as a cucumber....and I think the young horses can just "feel" it too. What a nice filly!

Now your barns!! Holy Moly Anna.....beautiful and huge and look at all that fluffy straw!! I love how some can go in and out when ever they choose....and I love how you can rearrange the furniture when ever you need to. O.K. you now have the 5 Star Accomadation Seal....big time!!! Thanks for the pictures.

Love all the photos!! The scenery is beautiful, Anna! And the chips and babies are lovely
default_smile.png

Me ??????? Shall we vote on who is the nutter here?????
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
( I have a few boxes of Italian chocs here for my FRIENDS sshsssssssssss)
default_new_rofl.gif

Clearly it's not Renee! Who has ever heard of a nutter with Italian chocolate?
default_whistling.gif

Chocolates? Did someone mention chocolates? Who? What? Where???????????????????????

As far as I remember there is only one lunatic on here - a certain person who had us watching and waiting for quite a while last year for her pretty little mare to foal (another Nut in her own way!), a person who then wizzed off somewhere and ignored us all throughout the winter and spring on the pretence of work, only to bounce in here again a short while ago, but is now using computer problems as an excuse when she feels like taking a break!!!!

So I nominate HER as the Maternity Unit Nutcase!!
default_firstprize.gif

Perhaps it is Heidi who should have them for keeping us so well entertained (when she's around LOL!!).
default_firstprize.gif

I can't send chocolates to Florida cos they would melt
default_new_rofl.gif
see, there are advantages to living somewhere so cold
default_new_rofl.gif

LOL!! Never thought of that - glad that you are on the ball my friend!!

Thought it about time I did an update! We are still undecided as to whether we will see more than just one more foal. Little Vee is certainly going to produce - in her own good time of course! She is grumpy, demanding and not beyond the odd tantrum or two if things dont happen exactly as she expects. Foal movements have been seen without difficulty BUT she still has very little or no bag! We are ignoring the milk glands on all the mares - they are just fat! But Vee does have two 'hard/firm' lines running through her udder, just as Narcotics had, so hopefully she will produce milk as she foals. She is under close watch at the moment as Cathy is concerned that she is getting close and with no normal udder to 'calculate' by, she doesn't want to take any chances. We are pretty sure this foal will be a colt (we sort of hope so as Vee had 3 daughters so far, one from each of our boys). This is a Dragon baby.

As for the other girls, well Cathy spends one day saying "they might be" and the next "I dont think any of them are"!!
default_thud.gif

Neyla has become gently bad tempered - she is normally such a sweet mare, so maybe she is hiding something in her over fat body? Lady is another one who seems to have filled her lower tummy and lost a bit of weight over her back - not that you would notice if you didn't know her as she still looks fat! Again, so signs of udder filling on either one of them. This leaves Nell and Nutty. Nell is just grossly fat and is still being restricted on the grass front, spending the nights and the mornings in her big 'cow' pen, and going out in the field in the afternoons - but no sign of her reducing in weight, so, yes she could be hiding something in there, but I doubt it! After all our excitement over Nutty, Cathy has seen no more movements since that last big one. This evening Cathy was on the phone to me, sitting perched on one of the field gates right next to the water tank as Nutty came for a drink. The phone went silent as Cathy leaned over to watch for foal signs as Nutty drank the cold water....................................................small 'jiggle' in the flank, but then of course the evening flies/midges are around!! According to Cathy, Nutty MIGHT look a little bigger in the tummy, but is it the grass and the extra food??? And of course she has no bag, well from the side she has no bag and there is nothing much to feel except the folds of a mare who has had a lot of foals, but from the back when she walks away from you, it does look as though there is some filling there??????????????

Out of interest, we have been trying with the ring test for the past several weeks. Very strange results?? Nothing happens, but the string and the ring "shiver" - on all the mares it shivers, then stops, then shivers again and will keep doing this until we stop trying??? No matter what we did - changed from the ring to several types/weights of nails and changed to different string - it still shivered. Never did anything else on either Narcotics or Prue, but Cathy has now changed tactics (LOL!!). With Vee, Neyla and Lady she tried holding the string over them and then causing it to circle, moving it herself. This time the nail got 'cross' and on Vee it corrected itself to swinging back and forth (colt), the same on Neyla, but on Lady it swung quickly into large circles (filly). Anyone else had a "shivering" string?? And do we now believe what it has decided to say?? Cathy will now have to try her new method on Nell and Nutty!!

I wont be going over there for the next couple of days as DD and Kym are coming up from Dorset on Wednesday for a couple of days (bringing with them my lovely Charlie and the pesky Tids - Mrs Nest's husband and their daughter for those that dont know) As Cathy is reluctant to leave Vee and the others at the moment, I expect we shall all go over there one evening - take fish and chips and a bottle (or two) and set up the card table in the barn for the evening, so we can enjoy an evening of cards, good company and mare watch all at the same time - perfect!! LOL!!

That's all for now folks!! I will try to get a few pics when we go over but not sure how good they will be, even with the big overhead lights in the barn.

Latest posts

Back