Wheee! Driving hours 2023

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rotten donkey?! 😳

You cannot possibly mean our sweet little Phillippe! 🤣
He's sweet until my mother is phoning me to leave work and come to the farm because she can't find him!
I've lost a couple of my heart animals to pretty tragic (and preventable) situations. I'm ridiculously attached to that little animal. I'd be pretty devastated if something happened to him... So rotten donkey is in donkey jail!

45 minutes in the sulky with Billy. We went 2.5 miles, mostly trotting to keep ahead of the bugs. Stopped to chat briefly at a neighbor who was working in his garden, but standing around in the evening wasn't a good idea. Did not have to ground drive first this time; I think the Adequan is kicking in and he feels better. Pepper did her usual barking and running around and he is fine with her. She runs up behind us in the cart on the road and he barely notices now. The weather was pretty tolerable this evening with a nice breeze.
I've been taking him walking/behind the golf cart/driving at least every other day. He's still in the dry lot most of the day. Still plump.

Holy cow what a crazy few weeks we've had! Phillippe is now out of donkey jail. We fixed the fence in the mini pen by putting a "donkey board" on the bottom of the fence so he can't roll under it. He is currently VERY VOCAL about how unimpressed he is about it.

But... we got our K-bike!!!! What a fantastic vehicle that is! Friday the 30th I brought it home in the back of my Ford Escape - disassembled, put it all together and went out for 30 minutes with Phillippe and Ali took Jasmine for a half hour as well. It was the first time we were able to drive together at home!

Last night, we went out and started to condition for marathon. It's going to be a process for these little dudes. We made a whopping 2.5 km total and spent another 30 minutes driving. Jasmine is totally game to keep going. She is just a machine! Loves to pull. But Phillippe is a delicate little flower and just couldn't keep up. She's also 5, he'll be 4 in the fall...

I'm absolutely thrilled to be able to finally drive with my daughter and our little friends. This is the best!

Attachments

• Phillippe Jasmine Down the Road.jpg
    Phillippe Jasmine Down the Road.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Phillippe K-Bike.jpg
    Phillippe K-Bike.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Holy cow what a crazy few weeks we've had! Phillippe is now out of donkey jail. We fixed the fence in the mini pen by putting a "donkey board" on the bottom of the fence so he can't roll under it. He is currently VERY VOCAL about how unimpressed he is about it.

But... we got our K-bike!!!! What a fantastic vehicle that is! Friday the 30th I brought it home in the back of my Ford Escape - disassembled, put it all together and went out for 30 minutes with Phillippe and Ali took Jasmine for a half hour as well. It was the first time we were able to drive together at home!

Last night, we went out and started to condition for marathon. It's going to be a process for these little dudes. We made a whopping 2.5 km total and spent another 30 minutes driving. Jasmine is totally game to keep going. She is just a machine! Loves to pull. But Phillippe is a delicate little flower and just couldn't keep up. She's also 5, he'll be 4 in the fall...

I'm absolutely thrilled to be able to finally drive with my daughter and our little friends. This is the best!
How exciting!! Good times ahead 😁

@MajorClementine you have priorities beyond this!!! Don't you worry, there's lots of 2023 left and, if you need help tallying at the end, say so!
Last night Ali and I took our littles out for some more endurance training. We managed a solid 4 km and Phillippe did a lot more trotting, less cantering and less walking. Took us each about 45 minutes.
I put Jasmine in the K-cart so they could try it out. She had an opinion about the whole thing as we were adjusting the cart. There was some temper tantrum rearing, which hasn't happened since the year we got her. Ali wanted to take her out of the cart and walk her, I said heck no!! That kind of behavior was exactly why the K-bikes/carts got created! To deal with rotten ponies in a very safe manner. So I ground drove her in the cart for a couple of minutes. Jasmine was fine. I handed the reins to Ali and she climbed in. Right away she noticed how much easier Jasmine could turn in the K-cart than the easy entry. Other than that, she prefers the EE, and that's just fine with me!!! Phillippe did fine in the easy entry last night, but I don't love the bench seats. Good to try something different, but I'm very glad we get to stick to what I intended for each of us.

Took Billy out in the sulky today (got the tires fixed). I put his ears on him and we sprayed down. The gnats were bothersome. Had to ground drive him first--one of these days maybe we won't have to do that. He did very well with traffic, execpt for a motorcycle. I got out of the sulky, which means merely standing up, and he sort of circled around till the bike got past. Then he was fine. He is feeling a lot better, I can tell. The Adequan, joint supplement, and occasional medication must be helping. He doesn't mind the ears at all.

Attachments

• ears.jpg
    ears.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 0
We made 5 km!!! I had a tired ass once we got home again, but we made 5 km. Not all trotting, but mostly. Took us about an hour total. Ali had Jasmine and drove her over 6 km in the same time! And she wasn't tired in the slightest when we finished. Power pony!
Last night was the first time we'd had vehicles pass us on the road. There were 4 or so in total and everyone was very respectful - thankfully! The littles had no concern. Actually Phillippe was more worried about Jasmine coming up behind/beside him to pass than he was about the vehicles. Even a pickup pulling a trailer, he had a look, but no worries.
The neighbors are all loving the novelty and now several come out of their homes to watch us pass by.

We made 5 km!!! I had a tired ass once we got home again, but we made 5 km. Not all trotting, but mostly. Took us about an hour total. Ali had Jasmine and drove her over 6 km in the same time! And she wasn't tired in the slightest when we finished. Power pony!
Last night was the first time we'd had vehicles pass us on the road. There were 4 or so in total and everyone was very respectful - thankfully! The littles had no concern. Actually Phillippe was more worried about Jasmine coming up behind/beside him to pass than he was about the vehicles. Even a pickup pulling a trailer, he had a look, but no worries.
The neighbors are all loving the novelty and now several come out of their homes to watch us pass by.
Wow, they didn't mind a noisy trailer! That is good indeed.
Donkey's probably think differently about trotting for a long distance--why would they do that in the desert where they lived? So he is definitely doing it to please you, I think.

I had the best guest to drive with last night! My mom!!! She's been so supportive of my riding and horse endeavors over the years. Last night Ali decided she didn't want to drive, so I asked my mom if she wanted to try it out. Absolutely! So I got both the kids harnessed up and put to and mom and I drove around for about a half hour total. She took the reins on both Jasmine and Phillippe for a bit. Just did some arena work, which wasn't very easy because we've had a lot of rain and the footing is quite uneven and a little soft. We had a great time. I don't think mini driving is something she's going to want to do regularly, but it was a fun one-off for her, and the littles were well behaved. Made me proud!

I had the best guest to drive with last night! My mom!!! She's been so supportive of my riding and horse endeavors over the years. Last night Ali decided she didn't want to drive, so I asked my mom if she wanted to try it out. Absolutely! So I got both the kids harnessed up and put to and mom and I drove around for about a half hour total. She took the reins on both Jasmine and Phillippe for a bit. Just did some arena work, which wasn't very easy because we've had a lot of rain and the footing is quite uneven and a little soft. We had a great time. I don't think mini driving is something she's going to want to do regularly, but it was a fun one-off for her, and the littles were well behaved. Made me proud!
How wonderful😍

That is terrific!

Your littles just keep on raising the bar and making more wonderful memories!

😍
I've been incredibly blessed with the animals in my life. Especially these horses. My stallion is currently a VERY SUCCESSFUL para dressage horse. To say he's special is an gross understatement. To be able to help these animals become good citizens who can give incredible experiences to people, that's what it's all about! <3

Back