Newbie shopping for mini driving bits (Canada)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elauren27

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post, but I've been reading this forum for over a year. I have a mini I would like to start driving. I'm a newbie, and he has been a chuckwagon racer previously. I have only used him for leadline with my daughter.
I've been slowly trying to gather all of the items needed for driving, but it's been difficult because he isn't a standard sized mini. I've measured him to be 37", and he is a chunky little man, i think he is really just a small shetland pony. Most mini tack is too small, and shetland tack is too big. I ordered a cheap but new leather harness for a size B mini (hard to find to begin with) and it mostly fits if i use all the maximum size fittings, except for the bridle, which is absolutely too small. So i ordered a custom sized Comfy-fit bridle from Equi-Market.
Now I'm looking for a bit! I did order a riding snaffle bit for him last year, it's 3.5" and I think slightly too small, but maybe wearable. I got it on Amazon, and 3.5" is the only size option. A 4" or 3.75" would probably be better, but I don't know where to find one online.
Can anyone recommend where to buy a regular driving bit in canada that may have more sizing options?
Thank you!

Chimacum Tack and Chrysalis Acres both have 3.75" bits in several styles and I would guess that one or both of them would ship to Canada. 3.75" is the size that fits my 37-38" pony who does not have a tiny head for his size. ;)

Chimacum Tack and Chrysalis Acres both have 3.75" bits in several styles and I would guess that one or both of them would ship to Canada. 3.75" is the size that fits my 37-38" pony who does not have a tiny head for his size. ;)
Okay thank you! I will check them out. It's taking so long to get things jist to start ground driving. By the time I get all the basics assembled we will be under a foot of snow! (Not that he minds the snow! 😀 )

Hello fellow cannuck! @elauren27 I'm in Alberta, Canada. I'm familiar with Carolyn and Equi-Market, but she's not the only one around.
There's a lot more options in the US than up here, but we're not alone.
Ok, first up, definitely it's worth the investment to get a custom harness. There's a couple good ones in Quebec. I just bought one for my Hackney pony from Equi-Star (Sebastian Moore and Sophie Boutin - I may have mixed up the last names) but you can find them on facebook. They're great and their craftsmanship - DIVINE!! The second is newer to us, good work in biothane as well, but lesser cost. I'll have to get back to you with the name/contact.
I ordered my donkey's harness from Equi-market. I'm mostly happy with it. If it was for a horse, it would be great, it's just the modified bridle that I'm not hugely thrilled with. Anyways, it's the Mara-Fun harness but with an upgraded Euro collar.
Regarding bits: We have 2 other good options - out of Ontario. The first, that I shop at a lot, is Brubachers. They're great! They'll actually go out to the warehouse and measure parts for you to make sure they'll fit. Also great pieces for your tack room.
The other one is Aaron Martin. Both websites seems almost a little awkward to navigate, but the prices and shipping are really good.
I have my donkey in a arched liverpool. It came from Carolyn. And my mini horse is in a half cheek mullen mouth. It probably came with our first nylon harness set up.
Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I'm glad to help! Phillippe CDE.png

Hello! This is my first post, but I've been reading this forum for over a year. I have a mini I would like to start driving. I'm a newbie, and he has been a chuckwagon racer previously. I have only used him for leadline with my daughter.
I've been slowly trying to gather all of the items needed for driving, but it's been difficult because he isn't a standard sized mini. I've measured him to be 37", and he is a chunky little man, i think he is really just a small shetland pony. Most mini tack is too small, and shetland tack is too big. I ordered a cheap but new leather harness for a size B mini (hard to find to begin with) and it mostly fits if i use all the maximum size fittings, except for the bridle, which is absolutely too small. So i ordered a custom sized Comfy-fit bridle from Equi-Market.
Now I'm looking for a bit! I did order a riding snaffle bit for him last year, it's 3.5" and I think slightly too small, but maybe wearable. I got it on Amazon, and 3.5" is the only size option. A 4" or 3.75" would probably be better, but I don't know where to find one online.
Can anyone recommend where to buy a regular driving bit in canada that may have more sizing options?
Thank you!
Hi, welcome to this group, I’m fairly new to group too, also in Canada (Cambridge, Ontario 🇨🇦), new to cart driving & I also have a VERY chunky mini who measures 37” (FYI minis are measured from last mane hair to ground - my mini has non-existent 2”wither). I have a cart but think my guy might too ‘wide’ lol but thinking we will most likely spend ground driving & move on to him pulling a tire etc through winter.

I’m in process of getting advice on harness, cart fit, ground driving, in hand exercises, desensitizing etc from a trainer. Depending where you are located I can pass her info on to you.

I have just purchased a bit that this trainer advised me to get from Bruebachers Harness Shop in Wallenstein, Ontario. I have also sent harness to Abners Harness Shop for adjustments recommended by trainer. Brubachers does have an online website & good deals for delivery.

I’ll post a photo of bit & link to Bruebachers online shop.

Good luck with your new ventures with your mini - what’s their name?

Hi, welcome to this group, I’m fairly new to group too, also in Canada (Cambridge, Ontario 🇨🇦), new to cart driving & I also have a VERY chunky mini who measures 37” (FYI minis are measured from last mane hair to ground - my mini has non-existent 2”wither). I have a cart but think my guy might too ‘wide’ lol but thinking we will most likely spend ground driving & move on to him pulling a tire etc through winter.

I’m in process of getting advice on harness, cart fit, ground driving, in hand exercises, desensitizing etc from a trainer. Depending where you are located I can pass her info on to you.

I have just purchased a bit that this trainer advised me to get from Bruebachers Harness Shop in Wallenstein, Ontario. I have also sent harness to Abners Harness Shop for adjustments recommended by trainer. Brubachers does have an online website & good deals for delivery.

I’ll post a photo of bit & link to Bruebachers online shop.

Good luck with your new ventures with your mini - what’s their name?
https://www.brubachersharness.ca/

Thanks JuliaM! Sounds like we are in the same path! My little chunk lives with 3 full sized horses in NS. They are all pretty much living the life of pasture pets right now because I am so busy with kids and work, but I have great plans for them all 😄. I'm unfortunately not part of a barn or local community here. I just moved from the city to the country, but there are lots of horse people in the area... just haven't met with many of them yet, so most of my education is coming from online research. Definitely keep me posted on your progress! Your guy is cute! Mine came from Ontario originally, but I don't know who he came from. He's quite a character 😆. I will check out that website, thanks!

Thanks JuliaM! Sounds like we are in the same path! My little chunk lives with 3 full sized horses in NS. They are all pretty much living the life of pasture pets right now because I am so busy with kids and work, but I have great plans for them all 😄. I'm unfortunately not part of a barn or local community here. I just moved from the city to the country, but there are lots of horse people in the area... just haven't met with many of them yet, so most of my education is coming from online research. Definitely keep me posted on your progress! Your guy is cute! Mine came from Ontario originally, but I don't know who he came from. He's quite a character 😆. I will check out that website, thanks!
Awe I’m so jealous that you live in beautiful NS … I’m lucky enough to visit a few times a year to home & dog sit (6 dogs) on the beautiful shoreline over looking Lunenburg Bay. It truly my heaven on Earth even if it’s for a few visits each year!

So glad to hear that you’re not only living your dream but mine too lol!

Check out Brubachers website & if you find that shipping is to expensive let me know as if you order small items I can pick them up for you & ship them in a $20 shipping box.

Please let me know general area you live in NS … where I visit is Feltzen South/Rose Bay Area/Bayport anrea over looking Lunenburg & Blue Rocks

Latest posts

Back