Wheee! Driving hours 2023

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been incredibly blessed with the animals in my life. Especially these horses. My stallion is currently a VERY SUCCESSFUL para dressage horse. To say he's special is an gross understatement. To be able to help these animals become good citizens who can give incredible experiences to people, that's what it's all about! <3
Well said. You are awesome👍

I got to have another guest drive with me last night! My bonus daughter took Jasmine for her 5 km conditioning drive. It was her first time taking the reins and driving a horse herself. She's a very accomplished gymkhana rider, big kudos to her mom for investing so much time into that, but I haven't been able to share much of anything with her yet. So last night I hitched both Jasmine and Phillippe, gave her the lines on Jazzy and away we went. She said she really enjoyed it, but it wasn't something she thought she's want to pursue. Totally fair. But I'm so glad she tried!
In total, each Jasmine and Phillippe drove for an hour.

So Ali's half way across the country spending three weeks with her dad. The pony still needs to be worked and continue training while she's away, much to Ali's disappointment. So I asked her riding instructor, and a good friend of mine who drove frequently years ago, to come with me on an adventure and take Jasmine. Naturally she said yes, cause it's just that much fun!!
We spent probably 90 minutes out at Cross Country grounds not far from our family's farm. The owner of the facility was glad to have us and came out to visit. She even helped us introduce both Jasmine and Phillippe to the water obstacle! Jasmine was the rockstar she always is. Very little hesitation and right through she went! Phillippe needed to consider his options before deciding he could follow as well, but he went through!
Up and down hills, around all manner of jumps, through trees, it was a great experience for them!

Attachments

• Jasmine Catherine.jpg
    Jasmine Catherine.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Phillippe Minds Eye.jpg
    Phillippe Minds Eye.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 455E28AB-3BBE-49A7-A317-198E9CA23A1A.mp4
    17.6 MB
It's been wet wet wet here since we went to the cross country facility. There's standing water and mud all over at the farm. My arena is way too wet and slippery to ride in. So the littles were harnessed up and my mom volunteered to take Jasmine down the road with me. Little trooper. Mom got a kick out of how much Jazzy just wants to go! I had to stop her almost half way through, all of a sudden they were steering like they're drunk! Mom's arthritic hands were not holding the reins so well. We got her position changed over. I'm not sure why there's such a difference but when people pick up the driving lines for the first time, it seems they want to hold them thumbs first - backwards to how you hold reins astride - pinkies first. We changed her hand holds around and she had far better consistency and control.
All in all, 45 minutes for each of the little dudes and 5 km in.

Took Billy out this morning before it heated up. Pepper went also, as I planned a route with no traffic. It is a dirt road route that Billy had not been on before because it is impassable when wet; it is nice and dry now. We saw long horns--luckily they were calm and I kept Billy at a controlled walk. He gave them "the eye", but did fine. A big spray rig was in a nearby field, which got his attention. Mounds of dirt and grass left by the road graders had his ears up. We went 3.25 miles, mostly trotting. I know walking builds muscle better but I get too impatient walking. The adequan and joint supplement are really working. Clicking is just occasional now and he seems to move better--hopefully that is because of less discomfort.
Hope to take him to the elevator on Friday for weighing and see some improvement there.
55 minutes driving time.

Took Billy out this morning before it heated up. Pepper went also, as I planned a route with no traffic. It is a dirt road route that Billy had not been on before because it is impassable when wet; it is nice and dry now. We saw long horns--luckily they were calm and I kept Billy at a controlled walk. He gave them "the eye", but did fine. A big spray rig was in a nearby field, which got his attention. Mounds of dirt and grass left by the road graders had his ears up. We went 3.25 miles, mostly trotting. I know walking builds muscle better but I get too impatient walking. The adequan and joint supplement are really working. Clicking is just occasional now and he seems to move better--hopefully that is because of less discomfort.
Hope to take him to the elevator on Friday for weighing and see some improvement there.
55 minutes driving time.
That is so good to hear.:) You and Billy are doing so good and had a wonderful day new sights

I finally got to do something with my driving club! There is a LOVELY CDE facility developed by a family north of home. I was so very impressed by how lovely it is, how smartly used the land is, and all the fantastic options to train in. We got to try a proper dressage arena, a marathon course through trees, a bridge, banks and hills and a great water obstacle, and a fantastic set up for cones and gates. Gates still intimidates the heck out of me, but I only need to learn 3! Jasmine ATTACKED the paths through the trees, she absolutely LOVED the opportunity to explore. She needed some help getting into the water hazard - only her second time seeing it ever. A team of Percherons had made their way along with us. Jasmine saw them stroll through the water and she figured she was at least as big as them so in she went too!
Phillippe I took for a walk and look around everything before I hitched him up. Seems to be what makes his donkey brain most confident. He was very interested in the Hafflinger and other VSE gelding out. He wasn't as confident and bold through the paths and trails, but he did go along. He was great through the cones and ventured through the gates too. When we got back to the water hazard, we were all by ourselves. He had to muster all of his bravery (at any given time, he doesn't have a whole lot) and got through all by himself. But he did it, twice!!! No major balking, just hesitation on the bank to really think about it. I let him take his time and praised him for every attempt at forward. He's SO MUCH better than how we started the year. I'm really enjoying him! He may never be fast or competitive, but he's just such a joy to do things with.

And, big bonus, the company was lovely and I got to learn more! All in all the littles and I were out for 4 hours total.

I finally got to do something with my driving club! There is a LOVELY CDE facility developed by a family north of home. I was so very impressed by how lovely it is, how smartly used the land is, and all the fantastic options to train in. We got to try a proper dressage arena, a marathon course through trees, a bridge, banks and hills and a great water obstacle, and a fantastic set up for cones and gates. Gates still intimidates the heck out of me, but I only need to learn 3! Jasmine ATTACKED the paths through the trees, she absolutely LOVED the opportunity to explore. She needed some help getting into the water hazard - only her second time seeing it ever. A team of Percherons had made their way along with us. Jasmine saw them stroll through the water and she figured she was at least as big as them so in she went too!
Phillippe I took for a walk and look around everything before I hitched him up. Seems to be what makes his donkey brain most confident. He was very interested in the Hafflinger and other VSE gelding out. He wasn't as confident and bold through the paths and trails, but he did go along. He was great through the cones and ventured through the gates too. When we got back to the water hazard, we were all by ourselves. He had to muster all of his bravery (at any given time, he doesn't have a whole lot) and got through all by himself. But he did it, twice!!! No major balking, just hesitation on the bank to really think about it. I let him take his time and praised him for every attempt at forward. He's SO MUCH better than how we started the year. I'm really enjoying him! He may never be fast or competitive, but he's just such a joy to do things with.

And, big bonus, the company was lovely and I got to learn more! All in all the littles and I were out for 4 hours total.
Oh I loved reading this. I felt like I was right there with you. I love Jasmine. You go girl!!😍 Phillippe, what a guy❣️ The bond you two share is great. It is great that the facility is close by. Planning more visits?

You bet @HersheyMint, they're hosting another play day at the end of August I'll be able to go to with the whole crew. Ali will be home on Monday so she can drive. I think I'll drag the third little dude out with us so he can wander and look around next time we head out there.

The last two nights, Mom and I have been out for short drives. She seems to be determined to get Willy, my friend's one-eyed mini, more exercise. He lives in a smaller pen alone. It's within the dry pen the other 3 minis are in, but Willy's paneled in for his own safety. He has one eye, but it's got a good amount of scar tissue blurring his vision. I'd guess he's got about 50% vision in his eye. So he has his own space and shelter and access to the auto waterer and he can harass the big mares across the fence like a little wanna-be stallion he thinks he is... Funny little character.
Anyways, he gets so little exercise. His owners are only out on weekends, one day. His kid is almost 8 and sadly is rapidly outgrowing him. But he is broke to drive. So my mom's decided that she's going to start taking Willy up and down the driveway, and for short road drives to the next neighbor's place to help him with fitness. She's a very gentle hand with him, a no-pressure driver. If he wants to stop for a moment during the drive, she allows it, then gently encourages forward. They don't go anywhere fast, they amble along, but it seems to be safe and both are enjoying spending time together. Eventually my mom will own that pony. She's very bonded to him.

Last night Phillippe and I accompanied them for a half hour toodle around.
The night before was shorter, only 20 minutes total. I don't want Phillippe to get used to these short drives! Going to need to get back down the road for real soon!

You bet @HersheyMint, they're hosting another play day at the end of August I'll be able to go to with the whole crew. Ali will be home on Monday so she can drive. I think I'll drag the third little dude out with us so he can wander and look around next time we head out there.

The last two nights, Mom and I have been out for short drives. She seems to be determined to get Willy, my friend's one-eyed mini, more exercise. He lives in a smaller pen alone. It's within the dry pen the other 3 minis are in, but Willy's paneled in for his own safety. He has one eye, but it's got a good amount of scar tissue blurring his vision. I'd guess he's got about 50% vision in his eye. So he has his own space and shelter and access to the auto waterer and he can harass the big mares across the fence like a little wanna-be stallion he thinks he is... Funny little character.
Anyways, he gets so little exercise. His owners are only out on weekends, one day. His kid is almost 8 and sadly is rapidly outgrowing him. But he is broke to drive. So my mom's decided that she's going to start taking Willy up and down the driveway, and for short road drives to the next neighbor's place to help him with fitness. She's a very gentle hand with him, a no-pressure driver. If he wants to stop for a moment during the drive, she allows it, then gently encourages forward. They don't go anywhere fast, they amble along, but it seems to be safe and both are enjoying spending time together. Eventually my mom will own that pony. She's very bonded to him.

Last night Phillippe and I accompanied them for a half hour toodle around.
The night before was shorter, only 20 minutes total. I don't want Phillippe to get used to these short drives! Going to need to get back down the road for real soon!
How wonderful to have the group along for the next playday :)
So wonderful to hear your mom has made a friend with Willy and I sure hope they belong to each other soon.:)How old is Willy?

Go @Cayuse!!!! I bet Cappy was happy to be out!
@HersheyMint, Willy is about 10 years old. Many many years left in him. I have no doubt in time I'll be shopping for his own vehicle and finding him better harness as well. He's not my favorite, but I appreciate that loved ones treasure him, so he is important.

Last night I got Jasmine out by herself. Mom was taking the evening off, Willy's owner was out having a riding lesson on her Arab gelding. Jazzy hadn't been out since Sunday. We did our 5 km drive down the road and back alone. She didn't care, she's just business. I learned she has an excellent radar for birds in the ditch. Birds that I don't see until they're flying out beside us. Just a couple little steps sideways and back to work she goes! I think the drive would have taken us 20 minutes but one of the neighbors wanted to stop and chat. And that's important too. So we drove for a half hour total.

How did he do? He's all recovered from the dental work?
He did great! He's all recovered, knock on wood. He was very comfortable in the bridle which was a worry of mine as he's always had a bit of a fussy mouth. I even trotted him a little. I drove him again today but only walked, he had just had his feet trimmed and I felt like taking it easy. He has sort of forgotten how to back, but with a treat the light bulb clicked on :D .
Yesterday I drove Peanut and he was so pleased with himself, he loves to be driven. It had been a year since I last drove him, too.

He did great! He's all recovered, knock on wood. He was very comfortable in the bridle which was a worry of mine as he's always had a bit of a fussy mouth. I even trotted him a little. I drove him again today but only walked, he had just had his feet trimmed and I felt like taking it easy. He has sort of forgotten how to back, but with a treat the light bulb clicked on :D .
Yesterday I drove Peanut and he was so pleased with himself, he loves to be driven. It had been a year since I last drove him, too.
Glad to hear you are all able and willing to drive again!

That's so awesome @Cayuse !! Welcome back to it. I've had awesome experiences lately helping former drivers get back into it.

Saturday I drove Phillippe for 30 minutes.

Sunday I drove, but it doesn't qualify, here's why:
A friend of mine, I've known for many years, acquired herself a Hackney Pony (retired main ring - fine harness I believe) about a year ago. He was quite shut down and had a bunch of teeth and body things happening. She gave him the downtime he needed to recover. She is an experienced driver herself but is in the midst of divorce and hasn't had the ability to get the equipment she needs to drive once again. I had mentioned to her, when she gets her boy driving again, I'd really like to come try him out. She said, bring your stuff and come on over! So I packed up Jasmine's harness - because it's a commercial harness and expands the most, put the wheels down on my K-bike so it stands up higher, and away I went!
He took to it like a duck to water. He's quite low in the back, no topline, and the harness did not fit well, but it fit well enough. The bike could have had the shafts extended a couple more inches, I think, or he could have come back in the traces some. I had a piece of chain on each side to extend them. After ground driving him, she hopped in. Said her heart was racing and she wasn't sure if she was excited or nervous. It was apparent in short order that it was all excitement. What a beautiful gift to be able to give a friend! And I got to take the lines on him too! It was neat trying a show pony that had obviously never cantered in cart and harness before. I didn't ask for a canter, I asked for more trot and then he started bouncing in a discombobulated manner - the "hot horse" show ring bounce. We started over. He was super safe. What a good boy.
So now I'm going to bring his owner out to our CDE practice drives and introduce her to our club members. She's so excited to take him that direction - away from breed shows and towards CDE.
So for the 20 minutes that I got to drive that day, it doesn't count because it wasn't a mini 😉 and that's totally ok with me!!!

Yesterday Phillippe and I were at it for 45 minutes while my friend took her wee Willy around for the same. Had a great time!

Attachments

• Spec.jpg
    Spec.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 2
Back