What should I do with Josie and what is happening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Renee and Diane, there is no rush to get anything done apart from getting a little one to trust you. They are only young once and anyway at this very young age they will not remember much except for the fact that they like scratches and dislike restriction. LOL!!

I'm one of those strange folk who believes that the foal belongs to it's Momma and not to me. Our babies are not handled in anyway after their birth - if they come up to us in their stable while we are doing normal stable duties, we just sit still and let them investigate us. The same when they are out in the fields, we just stay still and let them approach when they are ready. After a few weeks they all start leaving their dam's sides and begin to explore their surroundings so we often go and just sit in the field and wait for them to find us. Before very long we are surrounded by curious little beings who then get scratches and chats. Another month and we are charged at by a crowd of babies all demanding attention, and we go walkies round the fields followed by a line of capering chips - a bit like the Pied Piper of Hamlin syndrome! LOL!! Worming is easy because they are happy to nibble at anything and feet get inspected and trimmed while we are giving scratches.

We dont even headcollar until after they are weaned (naughty us!!). But have never had a problem, they just accept the headcollar as another game that humans play and they happily lead straight off because they have always been encouraged to follow human beings around, no fuss, no panic, no trauma and easy all round for everyone! Told you I was 'strange' LOL!!
default_yes.gif

Ha ha!!!! We have been handling her alot but not with a halter or anything yet! I always pick up her feet when I am in the stall and I give her scratchins and love. She is so sweet, if you make a kissing sound, she will give you a kiss on your chin! I want to show her in our open shows in halter, maybe 4 and under lunge line, and in-hand trail! Once she is weaned I will start actual training, but for now it's all scratchins and love. When do you recommend getting their hooves cut for the first time?

I am going to start getting her used to the clippers so I can do her bridle path and wiskers, so that will be another next project for her.

Should I let mama wean the baby herself? That would work best at our house but we can probably figure something out if that is not recommended!

I think the best thing for us is to do it naturally unless like you said they start losing weight and stuff. Jasmine and Josie went outside for the first time today!! I will post pics and if Cassie can take my video again and put it on, I have a video of her too!!

Would it be safe to leave Jasmine and Josie outside while we are gone? I was thinking not, because of stray dogs or big birds. What do you think?

Here are the pictures of her first day outside!! She ran around so much it was hilarious! Cassie, if you are out there, I can send you another video of her outside and can you post it? Just let me know!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Yes she is very dainty and the first thing I notice was her little trot it is so cute! Ha ha. Yeah we will be putting up another fence for them made of the same fencing cuz we ha to put the donkeys in the barn to let her run in the pen in the picture. When should they get their hooves cut after they are born?? Also when should they have their first shots?

What a cute pair they are. She is such a cute girl.
default_thumbup.gif
I think by the pictures, her eyes are brown. She is a tall girl, I just love her coloring and build
default_yes.gif

Yes her eyes changed to brown now!! She is so cute though. In Minnesota we only give shots once a year in the spring! The vet will be out in a month to give Jasmine her shots!

Do you think she will stay smaller than her mamma? Her dad is 29" and her mom is 35"!

When should she get her hooves cut for the first time? 1 month or 1 week or 2 months......? I have no idea. Our farrier will be out within a month to do our 3 horses, 2 donkeys, and Jasmine! Should I have him do Josie's too? I have been working on picking up her feet, so we should test her new skills out! Ha ha!!
default_smile.png

ok I will have him do that when he comes to do the horses!! He is a very gentle farrier and loves our little mini, so he will be more than happy to check her over and do what's needed!! How many months do you recommend before shots for mom and baby? The vet is schedualed to come in a month to do Jasmine's shots, should we wait to do Josie's for a couple more months?

Yeah and that is what I was thinking!! Ozark

Mountains mini dial haters are $12 without shipping! I will look and get the cheaper one since we will never have another mini foal again unless we change our minds about breeding jasmine again!

Thank you so much for listing that site!!! The mini halters are $5 less, plus you can pick the color unlike Ozark mountain and the leads are $5 less also! And you can pick the halter!! Thank you so much!!

She still tries to kick you if you walk behind her anywhere whether its 1ft or 10ft away! I hold her and say no, and she seems to stop better than she did, but she won't stop kicking!!

Latest posts

Back