What should I do with Josie and what is happening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay56649

Reaction score
My mini mare is 307 days in foal today and is bagged up, hips sunk in, vulva sagging, rubbing butt on stuff, biting at sides, and being more clingy. Does anyone know if she is close to foaling? She is bred to a stud tat is the great grandson of boones little buckeroo! I am very excited and I am fully prepared but I don't know how close she is to foaling! I will post pictures of her in a few minutes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it all sounds very positive but pics would help a little too.

Sometimes mares look like they have a full udder but then they seem to find a 6th gear and take it up another level.

Have you been able to express milk? If yes you can keep an eye on colour and consistency or if you have the testing strips that adds another dimension to getting an idea as to when is ready.

Although it looks like the mares have re written the foaling manual when it comes to udders this yr.

Well it all sounds very positive but pics would help a little too.

Sometimes mares look like they have a full udder but then they seem to find a 6th gear and take it up another level.

Have you been able to express milk? If yes you can keep an eye on colour and consistency or if you have the testing strips that adds another dimension to getting an idea as to when is ready.

Although it looks like the mares have re written the foaling manual when it comes to udders this yr.
She has a big udder but no milk! I will post pics one second!

She is close. Is her bag hard and warm? I would suggest you buy some test strips and test her milk if you can get any milk. The kind you get for swimming pools will work. You need to narrow down "how close" so that you are not risking the foal getting the bag off its face. Don't mean to scare you but that is what I would do if she is not on camera. I would post the pictures on the mare watch/foaling thread. My friend girls there will help you throught this. I promise. Looking forward to pictures. Wishing you healthy and happy foaling!

She is close. Is her bag hard and warm? I would suggest you buy some test strips and test her milk if you can get any milk. The kind you get for swimming pools will work. You need to narrow down "how close" so that you are not risking the foal getting the bag off its face. Don't mean to scare you but that is what I would do if she is not on camera. I would post the pictures on the mare watch/foaling thread. My friend girls there will help you throught this. I promise. Looking forward to pictures. Wishing you healthy and happy foaling!
Sorry, I thought I was reading the main forum. You are already in the right place!
default_yes.gif

Sorry, I thought I was reading the main forum. You are already in the right place!
default_yes.gif
Ha ha that's ok! Her bag isn't like rock hard, but when you grab it, it feels kind of firm! I cannot get any milk out of her, but twice I have picked salt like things off of the end of her teats!

The cremello is the stud Missy is bred to! His name is Double Dipt Dusty Buckeroo (Dusty). He is only 30" tall! He has produced 100% fillies so far, so hopefully Missy has a litle filly!

Dusty.jpg

She is a pretty girl.

I think that udder need to fill a little more plus the teats. Her bag will loose those few wrinkles and the teats will fill more. But that could happen over night or happen after foaling. I would be keeping a close eye and if you can get some strips it just helps to know where she is at. You cant rely on any one sign but add them all together and it gives you a better chance of being there.

How is she tonight?
default_whistling.gif
I noticed you are on this forum now too, some people on the other forum couldn't handle the opinions.
default_thumbdown.gif
Anyways this is the best one be on in my opinion, everyone is so helpful
default_firstprize.gif
default_yes.gif

wow what a lovely looking little mare you have! you are going to get a gorgeous little baby very soon!

personally I think she could have maybe another week to go? but should be watched VERY closely from now on!

how tall is she? she is still a little lopsided and a bit rounded in the tummy I would expect her to get more of the V look to her tummy... not saying she will but if she is going by the book, she should

she is VERY relaxed behind! wow looking good that way,

I agree with Karina that she should bag up more... she may not, and with her hooha looking how it is she should be watched 24/7

are you able to get her up on camera? have you got a foal alarm on her?

hope she foals soon for you and has that gorgeous little filly you have ordered!! :D

good luck she is beautiful!

oh and please keep us posted! we love to know how mum and baby are going!

She is a pretty girl.

I think that udder need to fill a little more plus the teats. Her bag will loose those few wrinkles and the teats will fill more. But that could happen over night or happen after foaling. I would be keeping a close eye and if you can get some strips it just helps to know where she is at. You cant rely on any one sign but add them all together and it gives you a better chance of being there.
I can't get any milk out of her, so strips wouldn't help at this time but I do have some if I need them

wow what a lovely looking little mare you have! you are going to get a gorgeous little baby very soon!

personally I think she could have maybe another week to go? but should be watched VERY closely from now on!

how tall is she? she is still a little lopsided and a bit rounded in the tummy I would expect her to get more of the V look to her tummy... not saying she will but if she is going by the book, she should

she is VERY relaxed behind! wow looking good that way,

I agree with Karina that she should bag up more... she may not, and with her hooha looking how it is she should be watched 24/7

are you able to get her up on camera? have you got a foal alarm on her?

hope she foals soon for you and has that gorgeous little filly you have ordered!! :D

good luck she is beautiful!

oh and please keep us posted! we love to know how mum and baby are going!
She is 35" and no I don't have an alarm or camera on her but I do watch her closely! Thank you! Do you think he could have her foal within the next couple of day?

WELCOME!!!!!! We are so happy you have joined us here!! We allow lots of questions and will try to help all we can, but we don't allow "attitudes" here -- as we are all friends and we love to chat and learn about each other. So ask all the questions you want, and we will be happy to help in any way we can.

/monthly_04_2012/post-44561-0-32927300-1334016386_thumb.jpg

From this picture it appears that baby has not made the final turn -- as your mare is still looking "lop-sided". Once baby turns and lines up her spine with momma's spine, momma will suddenly almost look somewhat "flat-sided". This is good and means baby is in the "ready" position. When this happens you will see momma suddenly get a "V" shape to her tummy, as baby's butt is resting on the bottom of her belly and is what forms the "V" shape. We have some pictures on our cam listing thread at the top of the page to "see" what I'm talking about.

There is also a wonderful video on "red-bag" births that everyone should watch at least once a year when they are having foals. It helps the process become "second nature".

I'm thinking she's close, but has a little bit to go. I would expect that she will be doing some rolling to help move baby into position, so don't be alarmed if you see her rolling in her stall or pasture. All of this is necessary to get baby in position. As to her udder, I, too, think a few more days, but she's looking extremely good! She is certainly loosening up and is elongating nicely.

Is this a first foal for her? Or if not, do you know anything about her foaling history?

We're here to help you, and she's a pretty girl that will have our attention for sure.

Again, WELCOME!!!!!
She had a foal may 2011 and that birth was without assistant and she is such a sweetheart!

How is she tonight?
default_whistling.gif
I noticed you are on this forum now too, some people on the other forum couldn't handle the opinions.
default_thumbdown.gif
Anyways this is the best one be on in my opinion, everyone is so helpful
default_firstprize.gif
default_yes.gif
Yes she is good! Shee has actually been rolling a lot! She even rolled when she wasn't in her stall just in the side of our barn hallway! She must have been adjusting the baby. I switched to this forum because of that reason. So far everyone has been super helpful and nice! You should read what they were saying at horse forum! They were attitude plus and all I wanted was advise! Thank you everyone for being so helpful and nice!

I will take some updated pictures maybe tonight fr you guys! She has been acting a little out of the ordinary like rubbing her butt on stuff and she has been really clingy to me and follows me everywhere. So I don't know what that means but I think she is close!

I think she could go at anytime
default_smile.png

would expect her to hang on and fill that udder a little more, but that elongation shows that she could go anytime from now.

was it on the main page that they were horrible?
default_sad.png
I hate to see that, tried to find your thread on there but couldn't.

we are a very welcoming group here so welcome
default_smile.png

I think she could go at anytime
default_smile.png

would expect her to hang on and fill that udder a little more, but that elongation shows that she could go anytime from now.

was it on the main page that they were horrible?
default_sad.png
I hate to see that, tried to find your thread on there but couldn't.

we are a very welcoming group here so welcome
default_smile.png
On horseforum.com under breeding it's a thread called mini mare close to foaling. I will keep a close watch on her from now on! She is yawning a lot and is walking a little funny because of her loose muscles. She is super close!

Thank you much!! Everyone on here seems so wonderfully nice!! I will have to post pictures of her tomorrow afternoon!

Hello Kay and Welcome to the forum
default_saludando.gif
Your girl is very cute
default_yes.gif
Looks like she still has a few things to get in line but not long now, I would think a May baby. Please keep us updated with plenty of pics so we can see her changes
default_thumbup.gif

I went and read the other forum you mentioned and boy are there attitudes
default_new_shocked.gif
you controlled yourself wonderfully, I would have blown a fuse with all those rude and arrogant answers! (OOpps exclamation mark)
default_new_rofl.gif

A lot of them were talking rubbish anyway
default_whistling.gif

This is a wonderful place, we will NOT take attitude here and so far we have been very lucky. I have had few problems on the main forum but here we are all friends.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back