Turned down on adopting a dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our shelter or pound which ever you want to call it has mostly Pit Bulls. It is very hard to get them rehomed. Our humane society requires a 6' fence for large dogs. I am not sure what the pound requires. My brother got a male German Short hair Pointer from the pound a few years ago and paid $45 for him. That included a certificate to neuter him. They didn't get the female because she would have had to stay to be spayed even though they were only 8 weeks old. I got my dog (GP/BMD mix) from a private party. However, the animal rescues here are constantly flagging puppy ads on CL. They want you to wait and get the puppy from them. Whats that all about?

Frankly this entire thread would make an excellent feature story for the media......... I doubt that the general public knows how stupid many of these "Rescues" can be.
While I have to agree that I rather a shelter be more safe than sorry, I also find some of the things I have read on this thread VERY disturbing. To think that my dogs could not go outside and run, play, chase squirrels, dig an occasional hole
default_rolleyes.gif
, and just be "dogs" is absolutely mind boggling! They would be miserable!

To me the people that try to pen up bigger breeds or even the smaller active breeds is much more abusive as it is conducive to developing some destructive behavior when they cannot get out and blow off some steam! The whole idea of a shelter NOT wanting a dog to be able to run and play is completely ludicrous to me.

The smoking thing is just absurd. Talk about ridiculous.

Anyway, I think Miniv has a great idea here! I don't know if it would change a shelter's mind but it would sure be worth a try. I can only say for a fact that some dog at the Dobie rescue shelter near my home missed out on a great life with me. I doubt I will try to help by rescuing any time soon. That does not mean I won't help in other ways but I will not have some IDIOT at a shelter tell me I can't let my dog play outside!

Last edited by a moderator:
When we happily tried to give some cats wonderful homes as barn cats--we were told they only let cats go for indoors. I was shocked. I asked them if they'd rather have the cats in the cages all day, or free to explore a huge barn... no cats could come to us. Unbelievable.

Here's Snickers, who we found through an ad for free cats about 7 years ago--doesn't she look deprived?
default_rolleyes.gif

IMG_0420-1.jpg

Snickers1.jpg

IMG_1747-1.jpg

Karla, Holy Cow, I have a twin to your Snickers.. She is only 10 weeks old, and we brought her over the the computer to compare her to your Snickers, and they are almost exact... I will try to get some pics to post.

I also got her from a free ad in the paper, in Binghamton NY.

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

Sadly.. around here. Many of the so called "rescues" are like that. Can't live in the country, can't have other pets, can't do this, can't have that, has the right to drop in without notice, on one hand I understand but on the other... these animals are missing out on very good homes.

Sorry you had to go through that.

When we were looking for a couple of kittens after Heidi passed on... we just kept an eye out at the local shelter. Found ourselves two beautiful and well cared for kittens. Its a no kill shelter and when I could.. I have donated cat food and even some of my Art for them to auction off at Xmas. Paintings of the cats I have brought home from that shelter... Mia and Nari. I do what I can to help.

I will no longer bother with trying to adopt pets from private rescues, too many rules. I will either go to the local shelter or from a family.

When we happily tried to give some cats wonderful homes as barn cats--we were told they only let cats go for indoors. I was shocked. I asked them if they'd rather have the cats in the cages all day, or free to explore a huge barn... no cats could come to us. Unbelievable.
Here's Snickers, who we found through an ad for free cats about 7 years ago--doesn't she look deprived?
default_rolleyes.gif

IMG_0420-1.jpg

Snickers1.jpg

IMG_1747-1.jpg
Oh this POOR kitty - so thin, bedraggled, abused!!!

My cousin tried to adopt a dog in Tennessee. She tried time after time, and finally one of the "volunteers" privately told her that if my cousin "donated" $1,500, they'd see that she got a dog.
default_new_shocked.gif

We've adopted to dogs from 2 different shelters with no weird questions or any problems.Both shelters were very friendly,and glad to see them find forever homes
default_wub.png

This kind of thread makes me want to tear my hair out!
default_smile.png
As a volunteer, I process most of the dog adoption applications for our local shelter. I do my best to see that the animals get into homes that are a good fit for them. Many of the things talked about on this thread I would NEVER consider refusing to adopt an animal for. Others I probably would, or at least ask some additional questions. And even though I work a full time job and am a new mom, I try to have all applications processed within 48 hours. Sometimes it does take longer IF the listed references don't bother to call me back. . .

I just can't help but feel defensive (it seems that rescues get bashed on here a lot) BUT I also feel just as irritated as the rest of you about some of the things you've posted about. What I really hate is when "rescues" get lumped together like many are doing, it's the same thing as people lumping "breeders" together - oh my gosh each and every one is so very different!

I'd love to see a link to a rescue that requires a dog stay inside "24/7"...

And smoke is really bad for pets. Like small children, they do not have the choice of escaping it when their people smoke indoors around them.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/...70831123420.htm

^ Rescues "NUT clubs" for wanting the best for their adoptable pets? I don't think so.

mininik--they don't specifically say 24/7 but that's what it amounts to...dog is supposed to be outside only when it's owner is outside too, or it can be let out into a fenced yard (or taken for a walk) when it has to poop or pee. These rescues do not want any of their dogs being left outside in a kennel or a fenced yard for the night, or during the day while owner is at work or for half the day while the owner is at home, in the house...dog must be in the house... "indoor home only" means the dog isn't to spend much time outside. I know quite a few people around here that have been informed of that when they hand in their humane society questionnaire and then get turned down for whatever dog they've applied for.

Since I have seen in hand and even filled out some of those rescues forms... they do ask those kinds of questions. I also know not all are like some of the ones around here but many are.

Can not be outside

Can not live out in the country... (kid you not..and this area that is mostly what it is) doesn't matter if the place is well fenced. Because the countryside is too dangerous.
default_wacko.png

Can not have other pets (but you ask and said pet gets along with other animals no problem)

Can only feed certain kind of food

Must have someone come in and inspect your house and allow them to drop in any time without notice day or night.

They treat everyone like they can't possible know anything about animals.

I could go on but a lot of the questions.. at least to me, are offensive and they loose good homes because of them.

The three cats I adopted are all fixed.. and I believe in that. They are very well cared for and get the best food. Yearly vaccines and wormed.

Have no problem giving Vet references and so on.

But many places just go.. way.. way over board.

My local no kill shelter asks questions but they are not offensive and they don't go over board. Because of that.. 3 homeless kittens over the last couple of years came home with us. They are happy and healthy and have trained us lowly humans quite well, thank you.
default_laugh.png

^ Rescues "NUT clubs" for wanting the best for their adoptable pets? I don't think so.
No, mininik, that's not why I think many rescues are really nut clubs
default_rolleyes.gif
Most of the ones I know of wouldn't even adopt to you ("too many dogs" (us too))
default_biggrin.png

I wanted to address the outdoor dog thing - our rescue also went to that policy - but only after like 99.9% of those outdoor homes that were applying had their last SEVERAL dogs either hit by cars or run off never to return. I'm sorry, but it's pretty hard to adopt dogs to homes like that. Accidents HAPPEN, I've had sad things happen to my own animals on a couple of occasions over the years, but dogs unsupervised and loose outside is a problem in most areas of our country. There are some select homes where it works out fine.

And so many folks say that the dog will only be outside in a kennel when they aren't home but my area is a small community and we've SEEN those dogs pretty much live outside with no attention
default_no.gif

I have many neighbors let their dogs run outside when they aren't home and those dogs are constantly in danger from traffic and a nuisance to everyone. I just threw water on one yesterday who was going after my outdoor cat (yes I do have an outdoor cat
default_rolleyes.gif
).

You DO get emotionally vested in these animals and you want what is best for them.

BTW, I agree that 2nd hand smoke IS harmful to animals just as it is to humans. But I would still adopt to a home with smokers though I would rather they didn't smoke for the animals sake.

We also ask if people would allow us to do a home visit. We almost never do it, unless there are some real questions, and sometimes that has to do with the dog they want, not with the people themselves (like escape artist dogs).

You guys really would not believe some of the people that we have apply to adopt, I think if you would spend some time processing adoption applications you would understand better why we ask some of the questions we do. . . it's not that we want to weed out the good ones, it's that we want to protect our animals, who we are the only voice for, from ending up in some bad situations.

I could give examples, and will give one just REALLY quickly because I have to run - before we had our more formal adoption process, we adopted a pup out to a family who about a year later didn't bother to reconnect with us when they decided they no longer wanted the full grown dog, even though they'd signed an adoption contract saying they'd contact us if they no longer wanted the dog. They dropped him off at the nearest high kill shelter who thank goodness scanned him, found our microchip, and got him back to us before they euth'd him. And of course much worse things than that happen, we had a couple of dogs end up with a hoarder after the people we adopted to rehomed them. . .

I could go on and I have, sorry.

Again, I'm not saying that some of you aren't right in your irritation over some rescues, but I beg you to treat rescues as individuals entities, just as you would any breeder you would purchase an animal from.

BTW - I once bought a corgi from a breeder who was JUST as strict as our rescue, and boy did I have a lot of respect for her caring for those animals that she brought into the world!

I've been turned down for cats in the past.......horrors, they were going to be...OUTSIDE! Our local shelter has a new program I think is great - they adopt out the feral cats that are brought in as barn cats, no restrictions other than an understanding that these cats are probably not going to be suitable as house pets, and some are pretty wild. They are neutered and healthy when they are adopted out. Win win situation.

Sorry about the dog. I have a Papillon/mini Aussie cross that is probably the best dog I've ever owned.

Jan

I don't understand why anyone would want to adopt from a resuce that basically still owns the animal after you take it home. What's the point? You might as well just be a foster home if they can still dictate what you do with that animal.

The only animal I have ever adopted was a kitten from the pound. The only thing they required, is that he come back for his shots and after 6 months, he was mine to do as I wished with him. I LOVED that little guy, but unfortunately, he died about 3 months later in a freak accident when we weren't home. If he had been adopted from a rescue, what would have happened? Would they have held his death against me when I was already hurting? I think in this day and age, a rescue should be happy that anyone is even interested in adopting a pet. I whole heartedly believe that each person is an individual and unless you live with them, you could not possibly know how well their pet would be cared for, regardless of the amount or type of questions you ask them. It's sad that all these animals are living their life in cages until the "appropriate" person comes along. You can get a free dog or cat almost everywhere you look, someone who is willing to buy/adopt one, is obviously wanting to take some kind of care of it. While my chihuahua loves to be where ever I am, be it inside or out, my two big dogs LOVE to be outside. One is obsessed with his tennis balls and loves to play in his swimming pool during summer, and the other one loves to chase him around and dig holes. They live outside, and on the rare occasion that they get to come in, they instantly want back out. Is that cruel? Maybe, but as long as it works for us and them, then who is anyone else to say it should be any different? They get fed well, see a groomer, get vet care and are no longer roaming the streets.

I hate that word hoarder. What does that mean anyway? Someone who has a ton of dogs and cats in general? Or does it mean that all of those dogs and cats are uncared for? Why can't someone have 10 or 20 dogs without being considered a hoarder, yet they can own 20 to 100 horses? I notice this alot with miniature horses. People who own 50 of them, would never own 50 normal sized horses, so in a way, aren't they mini-hoarders?

I think hoarding is totally different.

A rescue takes in unwanted animals and offers them for rehoming. A hoarder just takes them in and conceals that they have so many...they keep taking in more. Rescues usually have a set number that they can house and don't take in more until they have rehomed some.

A miniature horse farm may have 50 horses but they serve a purpose be it breeding, showing, driving, or for sale. I don't think the word hoarder comes into play on a legitimate miniature horse farm.

I think hoarding is totally different.
A rescue takes in unwanted animals and offers them for rehoming. A hoarder just takes them in and conceals that they have so many...they keep taking in more. Rescues usually have a set number that they can house and don't take in more until they have rehomed some.

A miniature horse farm may have 50 horses but they serve a purpose be it breeding, showing, driving, or for sale. I don't think the word hoarder comes into play on a legitimate miniature horse farm.
Thanks Charley. I frequent a dog forum and they always refer to hoarders as people who own a certain amount of animals, regardless of how well they are cared for. I take that somewhat personally because we have quite a few outdoor cats, but they are well cared for and we have always taken them to the vet whenever something is wrong (we could keep him in business!
default_rolleyes.gif
). They are all fixed and not breeding, but the majority of people would probably consider us cat hoarders. I personally believe that as long as you have the financial means to provide for your pets, it shouldn't matter how many you have.

Oops, thought I should mention that we only have about 20 cats outside, haha. Thought I should mention that before someone ends up thinking I have hundreds and names me the crazy cat lady.
default_blush.png

They are all fixed and not breeding, but the majority of people would probably consider us cat hoarders. I personally believe that as long as you have the financial means to provide for your pets, it shouldn't matter how many you have.
Oops, thought I should mention that we only have about 20 cats outside, haha. Thought I should mention that before someone ends up thinking I have hundreds and names me the crazy cat lady.
default_blush.png

I think the people on your dog forum are very wrong if they think hoarder=certain amount of animals, surely all of them can't think that way? I think a whole lot of us on this forum would be classified as hoarders, then. One of the hoarders I was referring to in my previous post took in rescues all the time (a lot of the "free to good home" in the newspaper animals), but wasn't able to afford vet care for them, or good quality food, didn't get them spayed/nuetered, allowed them to breed, and then the animal population basically took over and her house had to be condemned. Many of those animals were ill, most were not well socialized, and some were quite aggressive. Guess I don't know what to call her if not a hoarder. She wanted to do well by those animals but there was definitely an illness there, she wasn't/ISN'T willing to work with anyone on getting the animals fixed or into good homes. The sheriff cleared her animals out once after her home was condemned and she resumed on that property, living out of a camper with no electricity, no running water/sewage, and then eventually she had a propane leak/explosion one day and several of the animals were killed. Her family has even tried to have her committed but to no avail. The odd thing is you could meet her on the street or at one of her jobs and you just would never know - and I think that's true of many hoarders.

So - when I know a dog has been rescued from a situation like that, I'm sorry, but I'm going to do my best by them to help them find a good forever home the next time. Guess if that's wrong then so be it, I'm ok with being wrong.

No, mininik, that's not why I think many rescues are really nut clubs
default_rolleyes.gif
Most of the ones I know of wouldn't even adopt to you ("too many dogs" (us too))
default_biggrin.png
There are SO MANY dogs out there ANYONE could adopt right now it hurts my heart to know that I cannot take in any more, so I help with cheritable donations to rescues when possible. I adopted an intact AKC CH Chinese Crested Hairless dog ("Louis") from a private rescuer in 2009, took in a foster ("Mozart") for them and ended up adopting him, too. The rescuer and I emailed and chatted on the phone for hours before the dogs were delivered. There were no lengthly contracts for me to sign and no inspections to pass. It was understood that I already had five dogs kept current on vet care and fed a top quality diet, who are clicker trained, live on a boat with me and go everywhere with me. Mozart was intact, but not proven show quality like Louis, so I had him neutered as agreed. I'll be starting handling classes with Louis soon, after I get his teeth worked on. Showing conformation with him will be for fun and my own benefit as a groomer and handler. As far as I'm concerned all of my dogs are Champions and are treated as such!

mininik, your position is the same as many of ours, I think. Three of our dogs are adopted and we adopted a cat from a local SPCA in November.

Still, like I said, I think that many "rescue groups" are truly nut clubs. There are a lot of "dog people" and "cat people" in these rescue groups who think they're the only ones who might actually take proper care of an animal and have, imo, some very odd ideas of what is best for the animals in question. The reality is that those types of groups really do end up sending a lot of would-be GOOD adopters to breeders.

Just reading some of certain rescue groups' requirements -- it's not something I'd even consider entertaining when I can more easily spend money with a reputable breeder and get exactly what we want. All dogs need good homes and my time is worth more than the cost of a puppy. I don't want to jump through hoops for crazy people.

Whether or not you yourself agree, many would-be good adopters have come to the exact same conclusion that I have.

Back