Midnight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I am with HersheyMint! I wish I could take her too! So far away.

But re: the parents that don't know much, with beginner kids...not a good combo unless the kid is in a "program" of some kind. Any horse can become dangerous with consistently poor handling, or dangerous for their situation/skill level of the people around them. In a backyard situation - no. Definitely follow your gut, if you see red flags now, IME those only multiply with time. :) You'll know the right person when they come. With both of my two relatively recent experiences this was true and both homes ended up being perfect for all concerned even though both horses were "special needs" in one way or another, and not easy.

I called this evening, intending to talk her out of taking Midnight, but she really wants her. She plans to work with her and the daughter. So, she will meet me at the vet next week for a checkup and we will go from there.

Something I've never run across before was her motive, besides pleasing the daughter. She felt sorry for Midnight having a laminitis flare and empathized with her pain. She wants her to rehab her. She also definitely wants to drive her. I think I need to move away and change my phone number...

Is there a driving club where you are or anywhere she could get some lessons? Is she wanting to purchase Midnight's harness too? She should get some help to get started. Maybe ask her to research that first, if that would make you feel better?
My goodness, no, there is no such thing as a driving club around here! If you ain't herding doggies you don't need a horse. Most people have zero respect for little horses. "Pasture ornaments" is the nicest thing they say about them.

Follow your true feelings. You know what is best for Midnight.
I've decided to tell the people "she is no longer for sale. She is feeling better and I am looking forward to driving her myself. Perhaps I can let you know if I offer her for sale in the future?"

Of course, I won't tell them. Then I don't need to move or change my phone number. I will have to take the ad off Equinenow, though.

Boy, Marsha, you’ve been through it haven’t you? I like your proposed response. It’s polite but definitive. Naturally I can’t say for sure, but can’t help but feel Midnight likes your response too!

As for the “pasture ornaments“ we all have, you tell your high “falutin“
neighbors 🤣 these ornaments work up a sweat, hike mountains, carry toddlers, pull adults, kids, sleds, garden plows, visit and nurture the elderly and vulnerable, and best of all, help carry our “baggage” as we walk through life. They may be small in stature but they have the heart of Man O War, or maybe in your country… Doc Bar and Shining Spark.😂

My goodness, no, there is no such thing as a driving club around here! If you ain't herding doggies you don't need a horse. Most people have zero respect for little horses. "Pasture ornaments" is the nicest thing they say about them.
If I didn't know better, I'd swear you lived in my "neighborhood". I get the same reaction. Around here, it's largely barrel racers and ropers and some ranchwork; so I get a lot of "what do you do with them?" my pat answer is usually "enjoy them". [I lost my go to saddle horse, so lost most of my interest in riding, but not horses, so having horses you don't ride makes sense.]

Marsha, I’d say you made the right move, because if Midnight ended up hurting one of the littles….😬😬😬 I hope you find the right home for her, and have peace knowing what is meant to be is meant to be! ❤️

"Something I've never run across before was her motive, besides pleasing the daughter. She felt sorry for Midnight having a laminitis flare and empathized with her pain. She wants her to rehab her. She also definitely wants to drive her. I think I need to move away and change my phone number..."

What do they call that ....Rescuer Syndrome ....or something like that?

I certainly understand feeling sorry for Midnight and empathizing with her pain....but, too many of these kind of people have no knowledge and no idea what they are getting into, and then the animal ends up suffering even more.

Farrier here today. I showed him the xray. He said with correct diet she can recover completely over time. Good news.
He had a client with severe laminitis. It took 2 years, but they successfully got the horse back.

I suggested the mesquite beans set off the flare and he said he has been seeing some lately among his clients. Heavy bean crop this year. Good for deer, bad for horses.

That’s great news that you are keeping Midnight! I think Dapper Dan will be thrilled. ❤️ Has the vet given you a lot of advice about diet changes?

I can totally understand why you wouldn’t want to sell to the kids but I think 10 is a reasonable age, especially if the kid is motivated. But let’s face it, it’s still gonna be mum’s horse! No ten year old will be able to attend to all pony’s needs everyday. I can attest that it is hard for horses to have kids around. They are loud and unpredictable and fast and don’t always understand logic or reason 🤣. All baby animals are like that i guess lol (looking at you, baby Nova 💕🤣). When I was pregnant I worked at a stable in the city, in the stables down the aisle were all the shetlands and minis who did lead rides at the fairs and markets, two to a stable. The guy who owned them was old but had a young wife and 2 daughters. They must’ve been 5 or 6 years old. Every morning before school they had to lead the ponies out for some turn out time and I remember vividly the two girls leading out the ponies and being utterly terrified. I never saw it but I guess they’d been bitten and/or kicked a few times… They were nervous but they toughed it out and kept going back for more horses coz it was their job. A few years later I took my little one for a lead ride on the same ponies, this time the little daughters were running the whole show. Unfazed and full of humour. Besides my own desire to get back into horse ownership, I’m glad we have the little one. The kids will all be at school soon and more independent, calm and focused and he will be a great companion to our future riding pony. He’s taught the kids so much… but it has been hard for all of them. I guess it’s a bit of a school of hard knocks!

Midnight went to her new home yesterday. I met them at the vet for followup xrays and for the vet to explain what kind of care she would need. Xray actually showed improvement. New owner purchased the feed he recommended and more Thyrol. She decided to postpone any vaccinations for a while, so Midnight wouldn't be too stressed. Her daughter came and observed the xrays, listened to the vet, and led her around correctly while the vet observed her movement. I delivered her to their home and they showed me her stall area. Wow. A nice new mat, a new water tub, a manger of fresh hay a big shade tree and some shavings for napping. I've already heard from them this morning; she has horse toys and is going for a walk in the park. They are delighted with her.
Always have some regrets after rehoming, but I just couldn't do right by Midnight. She had lost 13#, down from 278 3 weeks ago; vet did not even think she should be driving at that weight. shhheeesh. She's been doing great in harness. I don't know what to think. Maybe he is thinking of a ridden horse instead of a driven horse that is overweight?

Latest posts

Back