Turned down on adopting a dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we first moved to Ohio I found a cat for adoption that the fee was waived becuase he had been up for adoption so long. They told me he was set to be euthanized in 2 days. I fell in love with him. Filled out the contract and then they threw a fit that he would be our barn cat. I told them we have a tack room that would have a bed for him etc. I just couldnt believe they thought euthanasia was better then living in a barn! After much begging and pleading they finally let me adopt him. 4 years later he is the king of the barn
default_smile.png
We love him so much. When we first got him he couldnt meow. My vet says someone choked him. He can kinda meow now but it still sounds funny. He is the most loving cat and Im so happy to be owned by him

default_no.gif
tragic. Makes no sense to me at all, little doggie that needs a home , a perfectly good one comes along , and they look for a small flaw to turn down the adoption. I dont hear of too many dogs dying of lung cancer caused by their owners smoking , Europeans smoke like crazy, their dogs are fine. I think the best place to get a dog is the local shelter, where the employees are thrilled to have new homes for the dogs and cats. Depressing news... sorry to hear it.
default_sad.png

default_no.gif
tragic. Makes no sense to me at all, little doggie that needs a home , a perfectly good one comes along , and they look for a small flaw to turn down the adoption. I dont hear of too many dogs dying of lung cancer caused by their owners smoking , Europeans smoke like crazy, their dogs are fine. I think the best place to get a dog is the local shelter, where the employees are thrilled to have new homes for the dogs and cats. Depressing news... sorry to hear it.
default_sad.png
I have to admit, that was one of my first thoughts when I read Lois' post AND I am a lung cancer survivor who never, ever smoked and hasn't been around 2nd hand smoke in 30+ years. I think some of the people who run these rescue groups need a type of therapy
default_yes.gif

Yep, there ARE some rescue groups/people that are whack jobs. And there are PLENTY of people who breed and sell animals who are whack jobs (or selfish people just out to make a buck who don't care/don't know if they are even putting out quality and are just fine with contributing to an overpopluation problem) as well. A person has to do their research and decide what is best for them. Personally I'm ok with purchasing an animal from a breeder that I deem to be reputable, but I'm also very happy to adopt/rescue an animal in need. Which obviously the OP is as well and I wish her luck in her search and hope that she doesn't decide that ALL rescues are too hard to deal with. There are a lot of animals out there in need. Obviously this little dog in question isn't in danger of being euthanized, sounds like he's in a foster home and the group he is with is being VERY selective about where they place him.

I was thinking about those folks who've posted that they are offended that they are asked questions when they want to adopt an animal. That I don't understand. Recently we probably all read a post entitled something like "a wolf in our midst". Do you think that kind of person didn't present on the very surface as a caring animal loving individual who would provide a good home to a rescue animal?

If I were a breeder I would have been ashamed of myself for selling to her, and if I were a rescuer that had adopted to her, I would feel the same. Asking some questions and doing a home visit in her case might have saved a lot of animals a tragic ending.

I think the key is to remember that just because one rescue turned you down that does not mean all of them will. Yep some are picky ( even too picky) but as long as the animal is not in any danger ( and beleive me with most of the very picky rescuers the animals are quite safe). The rescue group/person has every right to be as picky as they want, they are the ones that have put the work, hours and money (believe me most rescues never are makeing money) into rescuing that animal.

I can assure you for the most part those that are super picky, the animals are not in any danger.

If you get turned down, don't gripe and complain, just find another rescue. If you are set on a particular animal and the rescue has turned you down, ask what YOU can do to be approved. You may be surprised.

Since I am a breeder who also does rescue ( I personally think ALL breeders should also do rescue) I often see all sides. Some folks come to rescue because they want to save a homeless dog. Some come to rescue because they think all breeders are evil, Some because rescues are all they have ever owned and some come because they want a cheap pure bred.

If I have rescues in they always get first dibs on approved homes, in the rare times I may also have pups or adult dogs of my own to place, they take back seat to the rescues. That being said I am just as picky about where the rescues go as I am about my own dogs.

If you truely want to save a dog or cat in danger then go to you local pound, dont call asking what they have, ( they often don't really know breeds) actually GO there and see the dogs/cats in person. Those are the animals that are usually most in need. They usually are not picky about who gets them, just pay the fee and you are free to pick what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was never offended by the questions the rescue I dealt with asked...however, I was very offended when they came into my house and started opening closed closet doors...that's called an invasion of privacy if you ask me.

I agree, Sonya. I think my temper would have gotten the best of me right about then
default_no.gif

Lots of good points people have raised. I haven't heard about the "no smoking" rules for adopting pets; that's a new one to me. But I suppose if it's a private rescue they are free to set their own rules. There are plenty of animals that need homes so I'm sure a suitable pet can be found.

(My first dog, Ember, was an Irish Setter. She was the goofiest dog. My Dad was a smoker and during the summer he would toss his still-burning cigarette butts into the rocks of the planters around our patio. Ember would run over and lick the smoke that was still coming from the cigarettes--if you didn't know it was smoke she was licking, you'd think she was just licking the air.
default_wacko.png
She lived to 12 and died of old-age. I wonder if she was really addicted to the nicotine?
default_rolleyes.gif
I'll never forget that silly dog.
default_wub.png
)

What was she hoping or expecting to find in the closets? All the abused pets or children that you were trying to hide? I believe I would have asked her what the inside of the closets have to do with adopting a pet....since I wouldn't be planning on keeping the pet in any of the closets.

Here the rescue does a home inspection only if vet references aren't available.

Reijel's mom--nothing wrong with the rescue asking questions, I don't think, it's just some of the requirements....but one time when I was talking with my vet about it she even commented on how silly some of the requirements are, and she suggested that if I wanted to adopt a pet from the local humane society I should just lie about a few things. She said there's no doubt that I'm a good home but they are so overboard with their requirements that the majority of "good homes" don't qualify for any of the pets--unless you lie. Since they honestly haven't had any dogs that were of that much interest to me, I never bothered--and won't bother in future either.

But anyway, back on track--sometimes a home inspection would turn up a problem with certain homes, but in the case you refer to I'm guessing that a request for a veterinary reference would have been the end of the line. A home inspection wouldn't always do it anyway. You could go & inspect certain homes--lovely homes that look perfect for a pet, owner says all the right things, but that doesn't mean that lovely looking home is really all that wonderful a place for a pet. People with the nicest houses don't always care much about feeding their pets enough...and it's easy to chuck the dog out into the fenced back yard and forget about him. Other homes that look a little less than wonderful, based on the house, yard and upkeep, can care more about the animals and give any and all their pets the best of care. Based on comments by different people, I have to wonder just what a lot of these people are actually looking at/for when they do home inspections? Looking in closets is going too far IMO!

I just want to say they do not ALL go overboard. I work in a large farm store and every Saturday a rescue comes in and sets up, usually with 8 dogs and a cat or two. I have read their questonaire and it is pretty reasonable, but the greatest thing about them is after they read the answers, if something isn't so much to their liking, they educate the person, give them alternatives, better solutions. They work through it right there in their store until all are satisfied. They encourage training, give great food advice, know theirs breeds so if someone already has a dog at home they will know what disposition of a new dog would work well for them. There was a young lady in last week and wanted to adopt a small dog, she had not owned one since she moved out of parents house 8 years ago, no animals, no vet referance. Instead of turning her down because of it, the rescue talked with her, found out where she lived, and not only did they find her a vet, they set up an appointment for her! They do an at home after 3 months and wanted her to see the vet, get to know him before the 3 months.

The young lady left in happy tears with her new Pom mixed tucked under her arm.

They want people to give these animals a home, and they make sure to give you the right answer just in case you don't have it!

I had a similar problem, but it wasn't with the rescue itself. Just someone within the rescue. I applied for adopting a rabbit through this great rescue. They had over 60 rabbits to choose from so I made sure to take my time and choose the one that was right for me. They had a white rabbit that needed a home immediately. I really didn't want a white rabbit but went to go meet him anyway. Who knows he might have been exactly what I wanted personality wise. I got to the foster home for the rabbit and was disgusted with this lady immediately. 5 severely overweight dogs, 7 cats that were just as overweight, the house reeked of pee and there was animal poop everywhere. She had rat cages that needed a good cleaning that reeked as well. She told me that she rescued the rats from a pet store. So I asked what was the pet store doing to them. She got upset and said that she bought them. At that point I knew this woman was a nut case. She brought the rabbit down for me to see. He was a cutie and I was tempted to take him. The lady wouldn't let me handle or pet the rabbit. She wouldn't answer any of my questions either. Once I got home I called the rescue to talk to them. I had already met several of the rescue workers and I had already been approved as a home. They said that the lady called them and said that I was a terrible person and was unfit to be the mother of a rescue rabbit. They and I were both shocked that she would say that. I told them what I saw and told them everything that happened. They were upset in the conditions of her home and the way she acted. Thankfully they ignored her and let me adopt a rabbit anyway, but I was still upset. I later found out that she wanted to keep the rabbit for herself, which is fine. There are plenty of other rabbits to choose from that need loving homes. She could have ruined my chances of taking home another rabbit that needed a home all because she wanted the white rabbit. I'm just thankful that the rest of the rescue workers didn't believe her.

I ended up adopting a brown and white mix named Ginger. She was fantastic. She really blossomed once we brought her home. She had the house to herself and was able to run wherever she pleased. In the morning when it was time to get up she would run around our bedroom doing jumps, kicks, and licking my hand to get me up. She was litter boxed trained and obsessive about a clean litter box. She used to slam it around if it wasn't cleaned to her satisfaction. I really miss her. Once we buy our own home we will adopt 2 or 3 rabbits from the same rescue.

I remember Sonya posting about the rescue looking in her closets and I have to say I think MOST of us would agree that is ridiculous, bizarre, an invasion of privacy, you name it.

I'm well aware that a home that looks nice on the surface isn't always a great home for a pet. Sometimes it's about checking out fences and providing pointers about where a certain dog might escape, and sometimes you figure out that to certain families their belongings are so precious to them that maybe a certain dog isn't a good fit in that home
default_laugh.png
!

Vet references should always be checked in my opinion, but you have to realize not all vets are going to be able to give that much information and they are also careful about what they say about their customers.

From personal references you can get some interesting info sometimes - you can sometimes accidently discover those "lies" people are hiding. If someone has rehomed their last several dogs because that dog didn't work out for them I suspect a problem with the owner, not the dog, and they probably aren't going to like my rescues dog any better.

Education is a great thing! We ask how people plan to housetrain an animal - we often still get the response "stick their nose in it". That opens up the door to provide some references/ideas on ideas that will work better.

As for that rabbit situation, well, that sounds kind of like a hoarder to me - not wanting her fosters to go to good homes and keep them all for herself. . . I hope the rescue cut ties with that individual.

I went to adopt a pyr mix pup from the local county shelter. I was asked if I had other animals I said yes, they said well before you can adopt you have to show us vet records for ALL the other animals on the property with shots within the last 6 months, I said you have to be kidding, horses too? Yup horses too. Now my animals are on a yearly schedule and that year was close to being up for some of them. I thought it was a bit excessive. They said they would hold my application but couldn't hold the dog until I had all their required paperwork, I called Monday and the pup had been adopted or so they said anyway. Within 6 months... thats insane, within a year was reasonable I had no problem with but I'm not vaccinating my animals 2x a year when its not necessary.

Karen

Wow Jetiki, that IS completely bizarre. . . . ! I would have certainly pressed for why they are recommending more shots than a vet recommends??????

I think they saw how many animals I did have and decided to make it impossible for me to get another one, or that someone knew someone who wanted that particular pup. They had it listed as a lab/golden cross and I knew better than that, it was HUGE and had Pyr Fluff. I instead took that money and rescued a starving severely matted Pyr out of a subdivision and a shock collar. Now she won't shut up but thats beside the point, she's a super sweet dog. I wanted a second Pyr or Pyr mix as that pyr that I have is over 10yrs old and blind in one eye, wanted him to teach the newbie as he's such a super awesome dog.

Karen

I've only gotten through page 4, so if I'm repeating someone else's response, I apologize.

I'm with Reijel's Mom on this one. These strict policies are generally in response to what these shelters have seen -- things that would curdle your blood. It always hurts when you're rejected, for whatever reason, but they have reasons for their rules. Sadly, it means that good pet owners have to jump through the hoops meant to screen out the bad.

Most of these private shelters are no-kill operations who will provide a lifelong home in lieu of the right adoptive home. Oftentimes they have saved these animals from kill shelters and have no intention of allowing them to end up in the same place or as road kill.

As for barn cats -- there are barn cats and then there are barn cats. A barn cat who is spayed or neutered, wormed, vaccinated and fed properly is one thing -- a barn cat who is not fed (in order to make them a better mouser), allowed to reproduce at will and denied the most basic care (the owner won't spend that kind of money on a barn cat) is being neglected and abused. The latter is way too common, so the shelters are gun shy, cautious when it comes to farms and country homes.

Consider this: a private breeder or owner who is who is picky about who buys their dog, cat or miniature horse would be praised by everyone as being a responsible owner. Why should these shelters be any less demanding about meeting their criteria? Shelters set strict guidelines because they've seen how bad things can be in the real world.

Private shelters do a lot of good, and save many pets from the gas chamber. I've been frustrated at times with certain rules, but I accept why they do it and either prove to them that we are worthy adoptive parents or look elsewhere. I applaud them them for sticking to their guns!

Latest posts

Back