Turned down on adopting a dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley

Reaction score
I have been wanting to get another small dog. My little papillon likes being an only dog but I thought another papillon would be a good choice although I was looking at chihauhaus too.

I found the perfect little guy, a papillon mix with three legs and a couple years old. He just looked like he needed a good home. I first saw him on petfinder a few weeks ago, but decided to wait until after the holidays and see if he was still available. He was. So I filled out the application a couple days ago. Today I got a call from them and they turned me down because my husband smokes in the house. The lady I talked to said she would bring it up to the president of the rescue to see if they would waive it, but from what she said, I think it is not going to work out. She said if my husband had a designated smoking area they could work it out. But I don't lie so I was truthful that he smokes mostly at the dining room table which is open to the living area and the kitchen but occaisionally smokes in the living room. He does smoke outside at work but not regularly at home. I don't smoke.

I know there are a lot of other little dogs that need homes but I was looking forward to getting him. And right now I am not looking, kinda hoping they do call back.

Anyone else been through this with rescues? Just wondering if they are all like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that is interesting and I dont think they will be adopting too many out at that rate!!! Let us know if you hear back from them. That is a shame.

Sounds like they are really picky.You would think they would be glad to have someone willing to adopt any dog.I got turned down by a cat rescue group several years ago.I wanted barn cats and was willing to take 2.I live on a major highway but my barn is about 600 feet or more off the road.I was told they were looking for people who lived WAAAY out in the country on dirt roads with little or no traffic.I guess they didn't need homes so bad for those cats.My 1 barn cat loves his barn and being able to go up in the loft to sleep and lots of places to hunt mice.

:wubI'm so sorry the adoption did not work out. I know the Rescues want the best of homes for the pets in their care, but truthfully, I feel they go a bit overboard and many pets probably remain homeless and/or are euthanized because of it. Maybe it was just not meant to be, and your little companion is still out there waiting for you to find him/her.
default_wub.png
Happy New Year Lois!

A few years ago I lost my female Dobie.......old age.

So, I too tried to adopt from a few Rescues. One place would not fly the dogs........Gave up on that one.

Next place which was only about 50 miles from here would not respond. Filled out their questionnaire. I have dog heaven. 5 beautiful dog fenced SAFE acres. A long history with the breed. Two vets that would have sworn by the way we take care of animals. The rescue couldn't be bothered getting back to me even after leaving messages........... and yet they had 5 or 6 dogs waiting for re homing....
default_poke.gif
default_shutup.gif

And my husband doesn't even smoke!
default_new_rofl.gif

Well, all has turned out for the best as I just went and bought my dobie boy who is the most wonderful dog ever! I just feel bad about the countless dogs that are euthanized because of stupid reasons like a husband smoking in the house. They certainly do go way overboard!
default_no.gif
Really breaks my heart.

I was turned down for adopting a cat because it might get out of my house and into the barn. Oh the horrors of a cat getting into the barn. I have barn cats as well, they are pretty happy. But the silly part is my house is attached to my barn, when I open the back door, I'm in the barn and the cat might get out into the barn. Oh well. I found a lady with two spayed female kittens that needed a home and I got them instead, for free. One I still have, the other we lost due to a neurological disorder. But my cats are pretty happy being here. I live way off the main road, and have 35 acres of woods around me. I hope the cat I wanted to adopted at $225 found a good home too. Cause my two free ones did. Oh and I also adopted a cat 9 years ago and still have him as well and he is a barn cat too.

I too was turned down by our local animal aid (where the lucky animals go from the pound). I was wanting a bigger breed dog like a lab, golden retriever. I have a large fenced backyard and 5 acres. I also had vet references from 2 vets.

Their reason was that I planned to "make" this dog stay outside during the day.
default_no.gif
Said that they only adopted out to homes where the animals were indoors 24-7. How happy do you think a large breed active puppy would be cooped up inside a house all day long? They said it was also not good that I worked during the day and had 2 kids.

Needless to say, I no longer donate to their cause. And I also feel angry when they are campaigning and trying to make you feel guilty for not helping them out.

Lois, I am sorry! I think a lot of these rescue places are basically NUT clubs. I'm sorry for you and for the dog. You'd have given such a good home!!!!

I have been doing breed rescue (Sighthounds and Dobes) for about 20yrs now. In that time I have turned folks down (though not for any of the reasons stated) and I have adopted out to folks that other breed rescues turned down. (each dog and each potential adopter is unique)

Rescue folks are usually picky, often a bit nutty and some are down right crazy. But I would much rather hear of a rescue group being too picky than not picky enough. At least I know if they are picky the dog is most likely not going to wind up back in rescue or worst.

Thanks for the support. I'm not going to look for another dog right now. I will wait and see if they waiver the designated smoking area...I doubt that they will. It just took me by surprise that they had this rule. But some of these other ones, like the cat may get into the barn, are even more ridiculous.

I think a lot of these rescue places are basically NUT clubs. I'm sorry for you and for the dog. You'd have given such a good home!!!!

I totally agree...... And people wonder why so many dogs and cats end up getting euthenized?

Every shelter has different rules and regs.........so I recommend people check that out. I used to work with the Humane Society Shelter in Bend 10 years ago..........It was a "kill shelter"......and even though I volunteered there, I was turned down when I wanted to adopt a CAT because we have always allowed our cats to be "indoor/outdoor"....... However, they loved us when they needed a "Rescue Farm" for horses and donkeys!

Five years ago we moved to the next county and the Shelter is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and I LOVE IT. I am even more actively involved with this one...... It is a NO KILL. Yay! It takes in Feral Cats, tames them and relocates them as Barn Cats to Farms all over the county! We personally have adopted three cats and two dogs from this shelter and it runs on a Shoe String! (The other one just built itself a new fancy building -- mostly to house the office space!...... and then cries how broke it is!) Arrggg........

Whatever anyone does who wants to support their local Shelter, start out by donating ITEMS first.....ie, pet food, kitty litter, bedding......etc. You will discover from that how well the shelter is being run. (The fancy one turned up their noses and wanted the CASH.........The second smaller No Kill one was THANKFUL for ANYTHING.)

I am truly sorry about your situation. i find it aboslutely ridiculous in thi instance. I am a smoker, my husband is a smoker but neither of us smoke in the house because my daughter and grandaughter live with us. I have many people who have met me and see how I look after ALL my animals ask me to take in a cat or a dog or whatever. It's sad when you are judged on this. All I can say is hang on. For some reason this was not to be but not long from now either a dog or cat or another animal will need the compasion and care you can give that these people are not seeing which is truly unfortunate. I am willing to bet that an animal in desperate need WILL find his or her forever ome with you an what a blessing it will be to that animal. Hugs to you and your family (animals included)
default_smile.png

Miniv, I TOTALLY agree with you!!!! We have the Ottawa Humane Society here who have a "kill policy" and i refuse to donate to them, as sad as that is. I have a woman who lives not far from me, in Bishops Mills, who out of the goodness of her heart started a cat rescue. She has had as many as 300 cats at one time. She spays or neuters every cat and did so for many years out of her own pocket. Being that I work for the government, once a year we have a charitable campaign where I can donate on a monthly basis and I always donate $1200 a year, no biggy, $100 a month which i don't miss off my paycheck. Who do you think I donate to? Yes , the lady in Bishops Mills as she is now a registered charity and is a NO KILL charity!!! Those are the only animal charities I will give to. As it is I am feeding probably about 30 feral cats, apart from my 5 barn cats and my that is just fine by me. i am trying slowly to get them use to people and i hope eventually to have all spayed or netured. My vet knows that I am doing this and is going to work with me to make the price for spay/neuter feasible for these dumped animals. My neibhbour is the source of this problem and he won't do anything about it, I HAVE spoken to him about it and i have spoken to the by-law office of North Grenville (the county I am in). The North Grenville by-law office who runs a rescue for animals said to me "oh Danielle, there are are no laws about cats, just shoot them
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
. I don't think soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Can you tell I am a cat lover and an animal lover. I think some people should be shot for the way they treat animals.

I'm really sorry to hear you were turned down, but there are so many other good little doggies out there looking for homes; I'm sure you'll find another one to share your house and heart with.

As far as being too restrictive...My grandmother has been the benefactress to a local rescue for several years now. I will not say here what she's done for them because some of it was anonymous, but suffice it to say it's been a lot, and I don't think she's been doing it because she's an evil person that one day hoped to trick them into giving her a dog. A couple years ago they got a Rat Terrier--which she used to breed--and when she asked to adopt it she was refused because her yard wasn't fenced. Mind you her "yard" is 160 acres, and her two little dogs are kept indoors or go out in their runs to play during good weather. Despite years of personal acquaintance and assistance, it wasn't enough for them to bend that rule. So very little surprises me anymore.

The rescues here are the same--dogs, however large, can only go to homes where they will be indoor dogs 24/7--not sure they have the no-smoking rule but nothing would surprise me any more.

We have an animal pound that will adopt animals out to people for a nominal fee ($20 plus rabies shot cost, which is $10.50) I had a friend who was calling out there 2x a week looking for a large breed dog to adopt. She was repeatedly told they had nothing, call back in a few days. Then lo & behold on the rescue site popped up a new dog--the exact sort of dog she was looking for--a dog that had been rescued from the pound....after an extended stay at the pound, and the rescue just couldn't figure out why no one had adopted this wonderful dog. Ummmm....likely because no one knew about the dog. How could anyone know, when callers are told there are no dogs available??? The rescue doesn't WANT people adopting from the pound, they want all dogs to go through them--so the pound isn't telling anyone but the rescue about these dogs. It's really too bad, because as soon as the dogs go to the rescue, then there are a number of homes (good homes too) that don't qualify to adopt the dogs. I don't have a high opinion of a lot of rescues--for multiple reasons.

Lois, the dog you are meant to get will come along--you will find your perfect 2nd dog in spite of this rescue!

The rescue groups on pet finder drive me crazy sometimes. I actually found one group on there that wouldn't adopt if you worked full time, or if you worked OUT OF THE HOME. Now, what is there left... only people without jobs and live at home full time can adopt dogs?? way crazy. Guess you have to be "June Cleaver" home vacuuming in pearl necklace to adopt from some rescue agencies. I knew people that were excellent homes, did obedience, very responsible pet owners, but because they leash walked rather than had a fenced in yard, they were turned down. They could provide references and were terrific dog people and couldn't get a dog because of the restrictions. My pet peeve. I think with vet and personal references they should take everybody on case by case basis. I understand the need to try to place these dogs only once, but the narrow minded folks that won't open their eyes and evaluate individuals and put in place rigid rules, then in my opinion they lose many excellent homes for dogs. How sad. I hope you find a sweet baby that needs and appreciates your kindness. Keep trying.
default_saludando.gif

I'm sorry, but maybe they will change thier mind. When you get your heart set on something then for someone to crush it for basically no reason...that is cruel. I know exactly about the rescues. I got my rat terrier from a rescue. I almost didn't get him because I didn't have a fenced in yard...I live in the middle of no where and my dogs only go out when I am with them. They came and "inspected" my house...opened closet doors, etc...it was a very unnerving situation. While they were there and going in our closets...I could see the anger coming out of my husbands pores...he wanted to tell them off so bad...but he knew I really had my heart set on this particular dog. After a grueling 8 page application with 5 references and a house inspection...I finally got the dog. My vet even got snippy with the rescue....after ensuring them that I was a topnotch owner and one of the best customers he had, they still hounded him..he finally told them...look I have to go, I have animals to treat. I understand them wanting to find good homes, but they definately go overboard at times.

I've never tried to adopt but my sister had such a hastle trying to get a Shih Tzu that she finally just gave up. Lots of paperwork, lots of phone calls and after 2 or 3 home inspections she finally told them to forget it. Really a shame because her pets have a wonderful forever home.

I've been sharing bits and pieces of this thread from the very beginning to my husband, Larry. He is disgusted by the behavior of the different Rescues and has suggested that I copy the entire thing and share it with OUR NO KILL SHELTER.

I think it would make them feel good, even though it may not generate any of the money they very much need.

Frankly this entire thread would make an excellent feature story for the media......... I doubt that the general public knows how stupid many of these "Rescues" can be.

Latest posts

Back