Midnight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the side her mane normally hangs to? To me this looks like either she had a fatty crest in the long ago and it never totally "snapped back" after it went away, or just the weight of her mane did this. Her neck is about as slim as can be now!
Her mane naturally lays on the other side, her L side. I’m guessing it’s just from the weight of her mane over 21yrs, but she does have some fatty deposits on her neck/butt. She had gained a little weight over the two winters we’ve had her, but we are putting her and Squirt on a summer diet.

Midnight is doing great. She is running around the corral and appears to have no discomfort. She is on half dose Banamine for a couple more days. Called the vet this morning and he told me she cannot go out for a walk for 2 more weeks. She is eating her soaked hay just fine. Dapper Dan is probably more miserable than she is, out by himself.
I have her listed on Equinenow. I'm sure most people are scared off by the laminitis--I would be too! But maybe someone with just the right location will see how beautiful and talented she is and take a chance.
But my fear, like Annie, is that she will get out into the pasture.

How tall is Midnight?
She is 34", A size.
The chiropractor came out today. I had him coming before I knew Midnight was having a laminitis flare. I was going to cancel, then thought it might be good to know if there was something muscular that triggered the laminitis. He did not find anything much out of place.
He worked on her a couple of years ago when I first got her. This time she did not like him at all! I think it was because he didn't take time to make friends with her, he just got down to business. She was not happy with her adjustment, for sure. Maybe it was his red shirt or sunglasses???
I don't particularly enjoy my chiropractic sessions either, come to think of it...

Marsha glad to hear Midnight is feeling better! I really appreciate your honesty with potential buyers for Midnight and pray the right person will come along and take a chance on her.

I took a chance on Annie knowing she had had an episode before I got her, but you are right about the fears and the vigilance it takes. It has also kept me from traveling much because I worry people doing the feeding won't be careful.
I had a person taking care of my horses once and she didn't notice that one of my horses walked out of the gate when she had it open. He stood outside all night until my neighbor came home, saw him and led him back to the LOCKED gate and put him away.

I moved the obstacles into Midnight's dry lot this morning. We can play on them to give her something to do. One more week and I will take her back to the vet for another xray and see if she is allowed to go for walks and light driving.
I am using pieces of celery for treats, and peanuts.
I put Dapper Dan in with her at night so they have company with each other, now that she is fine with him moving her around.

I believe Midnight is recovered, but we will wait for the vet OK next week. Another reason I dislike dry lots is the dust. It's been hot and dry and the corral is puffy dust. And she rubs her head on the fence because she is bored and gets owies. I hate owies on my horses.
I've had two responses to my ads for her. I think they are both flakes, but we'll see. How much does she cost to feed? Does she need a barn?
Oh, I think that was my husband that asked about her. I don't know anything about it.

She cannot leave yet, and I'm not in a hurry. Hopefully the vet will OK her and we can go for walks and drives again.

Some people came to look at Midnight today. Three little girls. The oldest, about 10, was the one who wanted the horse. Midnight did very well with her, but she did not like the two little ones. I think she was even a little dangerous. It took me by surprise. I didn't have the lead rope as the oldest was leading her or I could have disciplined her. I hurried to get the children out of her space. The little ones ran off to play and the older girl continued working with Midnight. They did very well together. When the little ones came back and Midnight put back her ears I gave her a swift halter correction.
Since Midnight has not been worked for 3 weeks, I think she has become a spoiled brat.
Anyway, they are meeting me at the vet next week for her check up. If he says she is sound they will take her.
Now I am having second thoughts whether it is a good home for her. I am worried Midnight won't behave. They do have a good dry lot place for her and the mom has some experience with horses and training dogs. I'm scared not to do the right thing.

Agree with above, good ideas. Perhaps a trial period of 3 weeks could be set up?

That way if Midnight stays cranky around the smaller girls, and the family wants a different pony, they have an ‘escape clause’ written in, just return her to you.

I empathize, Marsha. You have spent a lot of time, effort, love, and resources. She is your pony, and as chandab says, do what feels right to you.

I am not sure the mother will take the lead and I don't think the oldest child knows enough. They want me to teach them to harness and drive. They barely know how to lead a horse! I'm not really interested in mentoring a young family--not my thing. I've pretty much made up my mind not to let them have Midnight. Too much of a responsibility.
Interestingly, the mother confided to my sister and husband that the other little horses they looked at were wild and crazy. No wonder Midnight looked like a possibility!

Latest posts

Back