Midnight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Midnight looked uncomfortable when I went out Wednesday morning. She didn't want to walk. Her feet were not hot and I could not find any injury. I gave her some banamine. Yesterday morning she seemed a little better, though not lively. Last night she was bad again. Plumbing all fine. Gave her some more banamine, and checked on her about midnight. Called vet today--of course long weekend coming up! He has seen her, several times for routine work, and had warned me about possible IR. He thinks she is having a lamanitic episode.
I am feeling so much remorse that I did not rehome her to someone who was able to monitor her weight when he discussed this issue three years ago when I got her. I just can't do it properly, and I knew I couldn't. I just thought things would be okay anyway.
So, now I will wait to see if she gets over this bout and then do some serious thinking about her future.
Meanwhile, I will do what Candycar suggested and try to cool her feet.
Being responsible for living things can be a heartbreak. When things go wrong they can go terribly wrong.

So sorry you are going through this.
I have had to pull half my mares off pasture and limit them to hay on their drylot; it's a bit of a nuisance to separate and do things separately, but it's in their best interest. [We are short on hay due to drought, so I can't just keep them all in and feed hay or I'll run out before the new crop is in. So, separating will have to work.]

Called vet today--of course long weekend coming up!
Of course! It’s just my luck too! If is not a horse then it’s the dog! Or cat! 🤪

Being responsible for living things can be a heartbreak. When things go wrong they can go terribly wrong.
Agreed, it’s hard but I always remind myself that I am doing the ABSOLUTE BEST I can with what I’ve been dealt.

Good luck! Keep us updated!!

Sending prayers for Midnight. Can you pad her hoof boots and have her wear them? That might help keep her comfortable. Did the vet say to keep her from moving much to avoid any damage? We had to keep Oatie in his stall during his spell of it. If you can't soak her feet, small bags of frozen peas can help. I put socks on Oatie under his boots, then stuffed the package of peas down into the sock and the sock held it in place. Not a perfect solution, but I couldn't hose him in February.

I put her in a mud puddle with the cool sprinkler on her feet. I will do it again tonight. Her corral (dry lot) has soft footing. I did take her ponying behind Dapper Dan yesterday but she had her boots on. I probably shouldn't have, but I didn't know any better. She does not seem too uncomfortable; another dose of banamine this evening. Vet said she could have it twice a day for a few days, but we'll see if we can get by with once a day.

Aw Marsha, I am sorry! It's too bad you aren't closer, she could come live with Rowan in his "fat track"! :) Got to keep them off the grass if they are prone to this, there's really no way around it. It does make life harder for the humans, for sure. Hopefully it's a brief spell and she's feeling better soon!

I had her stand in the sprinkler puddle again this evening and gave her a dose of banamine. She is moving better and seems comfortable. She played in the water while soaking. Dapper Dan is jealous of her attention.
I gave her some hay this evening. I did not soak it, but it is not very good hay, which the vet says is the best anyway. I think she will be fine, but I cannot do this forever. When she is over the episode, I need to look into finding her a home where she might be boarded on dry lot, or with someone who has the discipline to monitor her diet rigorously. That is not me. She is such a lovely driving horse. I thought I was good to go until I died.
Thanks for all the good wishes for her.

I think head lettuce is safe, as there isn't much to it; but other lettuce types are more robust, so could be an issue. And, celery is often safe, but I can't remember if the strings should be removed before feeding.
I remembered about celery. I've given them small pieces before. Not their favorite. But Midnight is a little desperate for treats right now so she might like it better! I was taking expired lettuce mix to the chickens and offered both horses some of the crunchy pieces of romaine and butter bliss. I was thinking it was something I could offer her. I had a list at one time of safe treats, but cannot find it now.

My retired driving horse has been steadily gaining weight so I started up doing some ground work and ponying him with the golf cart. Instead of treats I have been giving him a couple of timothy hay pellets.

I feel your pain through Marsha! I have to feed all three of mine separately 3 times a day, and time them if they are out grazing and make sure they have exercise. I had no idea minis would require so much work to keep fit! The term "easy keepers" is ironic!!!!

I’m sorry Marsha. As so many have already said, we do the best we can with what we have to work with and that is all anyone can do. Don’t beat yourself up. You are responsible and caring.

Tiffany is 23 years and a recurring sore foot mini due to founder episode years ago and she gets hauled to the vet periodically for x rays. She also has a pair of Easyboots that we use periodically and is never on pasture but can still flare up. Weather plays a part too. It is tough on us both sometimes so I sure can empathize with you.

Prayers and hugs to you both and remember you may very well be Midnight’s “someone else“. 🤗

I can’t open the video 😤

Peanuts in the shell! I would have NEVER thought of that. Do the eat the shell or spit it out?

Glad to hear Midnight is getting better 💕💕

I am in the same boat as y’all as far as feedings and timed turnout goes. Minis are sooooo high maintenance! Too fat! Too skinny! Don’t eat this, don’t eat that! No grass for you, 1 hour on grass for you, and 4 hours on grass for you! We should totally start a thread on our mini feeding timelines throughout the course of a day 🤣🤣

Latest posts

Back