My Mini is really sick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there…has anyone else experienced a super high fever without a diagnosis in their little guy? My mini, Willy, started to not feel well yesterday. I noticed he wouldn’t eat and was off. Wasn’t showing signs of colic, laminitis or founder but I kept watching him closely. As the day went on nothing changed so I called the vet. Once the vet arrived he took his temperature and it was 106. Gave him 4 liters of fluid and banamine. Did blood work as well which we are still waiting for results on. Once the vet left I gave his entire body a check. I found a huge tick embedded in his neck. I called the vet because I didn’t want to remove it just in case they wanted to so they could save it etc. The vet didn’t seem concerned but said he would add the test to the blood for tick fever. This thing was nasty. It clearly was infected or at least so irritated and inflamed it was oozing yuck. I removed it and cleaned the site with hydrogen peroxide. He did ok through the night but checked him at 5 am and temp was still high at 105. I just gave him more banamine and some mash to see if he will eat anything. The vet is suppose to call me this morning to check in. We live in California in Sonoma County and this is the 3rd horse I have come across in our area with an undiagnosed high fever. I’m praying it is tick fever so they can start him on antibiotics asap. If not, I will most likely be bringing to UC Davis today. 😩🙏🏻IMG_7230.jpeg72973062585__A9409DCD-8398-444C-A1B4-61730E70B59D.jpegIMG_1955.jpeg72972540966__5FD0494C-80ED-4B3C-B729-ACE6680531E2.jpeg

That's got to be scary. I've never heard of tick fever, I don't think we have that here. But there are a few other things they can get from ticks including lyme's disease.
I hope he starts feeling better soon.

I live in New Hampshire, so the opposite end of the country from you and our tick born diseases may be different. That being said I have had 2-3 ponies present with very high fevers that indeed had a tick born illnesses. What we have in this region is Lyme disease and Anaplasmosis. Anaplasmosis is the one that notoriously starts with a very high fever. IIRC, IV oxytet works on both. I've had the misfortune of having both diseases show up at different times :(. Good luck with your little one. Hope you get some answers!

That's got to be scary. I've never heard of tick fever, I don't think we have that here. But there are a few other things they can get from ticks including
I live in New Hampshire, so the opposite end of the country from you and our tick born diseases may be different. That being said I have had 2-3 ponies present with very high fevers that indeed had a tick born illnesses. What we have in this region is Lyme disease and Anaplasmosis. Anaplasmosis is the one that notoriously starts with a very high fever. IIRC, IV oxytet works on both. I've had the misfortune of having both diseases show up at different times :(. Good luck with your little one. Hope you get some answers!
Poor little thing. We are also in New England but I suspect once the tests were sent out vet would start doxycycline or something similar while waiting for results (anaplasmosis, babesiosis, Lyme). I think if the tick is still attached it might be too soon for that bite to have made him so sick, based on what I know about people and ticks, but if there is one tick there are more.

I’m sorry you and Willy are going through this and will be thinking of you both!

You were so smart to follow up the visit by checking Willy over carefully. The tick seems a likely cause doesn’t it? Like Cayuse, we have Anaplasmosis and Lyme disease in our area. It takes 12 - 24 hours for a diseased tick to transmit the bacteria, as I understand it.

Good for you for calling the vet back with your find and good for him for adding the test.

Please let us know how you all are doing. 🙏

Oh goodness...I used to live in Northern California so I know ticks can be a problem for sure. I never found one on my horse though. Plenty on the dogs. I am also sending you positive thoughts and prayers. Just make sure you somehow keep him hydrated. You have great vets in that area and UC Davis, so you will be in good care. I live in a very rural area now and can hardly get a vet to come out on a call. I hope they find what is the cause soon.
🥰

We have ticks here and I've found quite a few on Billy. They always seem to leave a wound. I assumed he had an allergy--asked the vet and that is what she suggested. I always remove the tick as soon as I find them--check him every day. Ticks have to be one of the most disgusting creatures on the planet. Difficult to monitor because of the heavy coat this time of year.
Hope you hear results soon from the vet! Poor little guy. I suggest you also ask about liver results.

Hi there…has anyone else experienced a super high fever without a diagnosis in their little guy? My mini, Willy, started to not feel well yesterday. I noticed he wouldn’t eat and was off. Wasn’t showing signs of colic, laminitis or founder but I kept watching him closely. As the day went on nothing changed so I called the vet. Once the vet arrived he took his temperature and it was 106. Gave him 4 liters of fluid and banamine. Did blood work as well which we are still waiting for results on. Once the vet left I gave his entire body a check. I found a huge tick embedded in his neck. I called the vet because I didn’t want to remove it just in case they wanted to so they could save it etc. The vet didn’t seem concerned but said he would add the test to the blood for tick fever. This thing was nasty. It clearly was infected or at least so irritated and inflamed it was oozing yuck. I removed it and cleaned the site with hydrogen peroxide. He did ok through the night but checked him at 5 am and temp was still high at 105. I just gave him more banamine and some mash to see if he will eat anything. The vet is suppose to call me this morning to check in. We live in California in Sonoma County and this is the 3rd horse I have come across in our area with an undiagnosed high fever. I’m praying it is tick fever so they can start him on antibiotics asap. If not, I will most likely be bringing to UC Davis today. 😩🙏🏻View attachment 51259View attachment 51260View attachment 51261View attachment 51262

Here are some thoughts on high fever:

https://equusmagazine.com/diseases/what-fever-means-26391

Tick-borne disease in horses (Rutgers)

https://esc.rutgers.edu/fact_sheet/ticks-lyme-disease-and-other-tick-borne-diseases-in-horses/

Tick-borne diseases (Michigan State U)

https://cvm.msu.edu/vdl/news/2021/staying-current-on-tick-borne-diseases

Hi there…has anyone else experienced a super high fever without a diagnosis in their little guy? My mini, Willy, started to not feel well yesterday. I noticed he wouldn’t eat and was off. Wasn’t showing signs of colic, laminitis or founder but I kept watching him closely. As the day went on nothing changed so I called the vet. Once the vet arrived he took his temperature and it was 106. Gave him 4 liters of fluid and banamine. Did blood work as well which we are still waiting for results on. Once the vet left I gave his entire body a check. I found a huge tick embedded in his neck. I called the vet because I didn’t want to remove it just in case they wanted to so they could save it etc. The vet didn’t seem concerned but said he would add the test to the blood for tick fever. This thing was nasty. It clearly was infected or at least so irritated and inflamed it was oozing yuck. I removed it and cleaned the site with hydrogen peroxide. He did ok through the night but checked him at 5 am and temp was still high at 105. I just gave him more banamine and some mash to see if he will eat anything. The vet is suppose to call me this morning to check in. We live in California in Sonoma County and this is the 3rd horse I have come across in our area with an undiagnosed high fever. I’m praying it is tick fever so they can start him on antibiotics asap. If not, I will most likely be bringing to UC Davis today. 😩🙏🏻View attachment 51259View attachment 51260View attachment 51261View attachment 51262

Latest posts

Back