Snowball foaling thread - maiden - 5/13 colt*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking the same thing Renee, you can really see her hip bones even from the camera view... I would hate for her to get sick Kara, maybe could you top up her feed a little?

Could this be the quiet before the storm???
default_whistling.gif

snowball.JPG

I noticed the same thing. I have actually been gradually adding more feed for the past week. Hopefully it helps. I have Lso added in beet pulp. Poor girl, im feeding her almost double what I fed Stormy! She did have a much quieter night lastnight.

Thanks! I also have alfalfa pellets mixed in her feed, I will imcrease those too, she also hasnt been getting out to graze as much, and I think our hay has less valuable calories and nutrients, as it is still last years cut. We havent gotten more this year yet. I will increase her alfala and more feed too.

Udder about the same. Surprise surprise, right? I just gave her extra food a bit ago, I am running low on alfalfa pellets, so will have to make a run to the feed store.

You are doing a great job Kara. May I ask approx how much she's getting weight wise in each feed? Dont forget that horses can only cope with so much food at a time, anything 'over the top' can get pushed through without being digested or used, probably more so with a heavily in foal mare who doesn't have much stomach room left anyway! Rather than make feeds bigger you will probably have to increase the number of feeds that you give her. Hay doesn't count because it is 'grazed' and is therefore reaching the tummy in a 'trickle' just like grass does. You also have some good grass available judging from your outside pictures, so do keep her out as much as possible as this will help.

I do hope she will foal soon, both for her sake and for yours.
default_yes.gif

She used to only get feed in the evenings, and I have increased to two times a day in the last almost week. I did not increase her evening feedings as it seemed like plenty. So sounds like I'm on track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont forget this mare is also shedding her winter hair, so is going to look thinner than in earlier pics... I can't believe she has not foaled either.

Yes, she shed out a TON of winter woolies. looks like she didnt eat all her dinner in one sitting like she usually does. Wonder if that could mean something.....hmmmm...

Diane, I hope your granddaughter feels better, and you dont get it!

Always hard when they are shedding and you're trying to pay attention to belly size!

she just got down and then back up real quick... went to eat something but didn't then paced a little and did what seems to be a mushy poop... lots of tail swishing...

I am seeing some udder development this morning! Yea! I had to run out and do another job, so call or tezt if you see anything please! Thank you! Maybe tonight? I'll let you all know what she looks like later on too....

2012-05-09 12.31.16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If she wont lay down- or goes down and pops right back up, baby is probably in position or getting there. I usually find mine will not lay down the night or two before they foal!

Latest posts

Back