Rule change to stop shaving horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I believe any clipping of the body is unnatural, God put beautiful coats on these horses and people who feel they need to shave it off their horse to get a certain "look" should try to breed better horses, but I guess clipping is easier !  And any judge that cannot judge the quality of a horse with it's natural coat isn't much of a judge.  Not shaving might also eliminate a lot of altering the color and conformation outline, gosh wouldn't that be terrible if the horse looked the way it was built naturally?
Bolding mine. That ^^^ is unbelievable.

Shaving off inches of fuzz... will only show EXACTLY what the horse's conformation is like - nothing can be hidden. HOW?? WHERE?? Everything is there to be seen... not hidden by a thick winter coat.... the idea that shaving will alter conformation - is NONSENSE.

And the colour usually suffers - which is why you have to plan when to clip for the best results. I respectfully suggest that some need to read what they type before they submit it...

Unless you live under a rock, you will have noticed that coats vary in thickness and texture... some horses may slick off very nicely in the summer... and some never lose the longer look...

We used to tell people that if you wanted to see the whole herd (sort of) slick and shiny - you had one week at the end of July to come and ogle - as after that the winter coats start to come in....

And HORRORS - I clip the foals in the summer if there is a heat wave... why let them puff and pant when they can drop their "jammies" and buck and run and roll and play... demmit - that's ABUSE!! Report me....

For our recent photo shoot... some horses were done in their current slick summer coats with just a touch up on jaws and legs - and a few needed a body clip - as the fuzz was rising thick and fast... it all depends on the individual horse.....

The labels of ABUSE and CRUELTY being tossed around in this thread so flippantly

reminds me of threads here a while ago where gelding anything was cruel... and all showing was abusive (unless the one complaining was doing it of course) ... surely some here remember that....

Anyway - it all comes back to the "clip if you care to - don't if you don't want to" common sense - but to paste labels on people and pass judgement in the way some do on this issue.... is... well... there are no words...
unsure.gif

Oh - do drop by and check out the poor mares who were clipped with a 15 2 weeks ago.... they are shiny and dappled with spectacular coats.... and are quite the contrast to their shaggy herdmates...
wink.gif

ETA: And NO - I do not do eyelashes... I think some are definitely confusing actual eyelash shaving (which I have seen - but rarely now) with the closer shaving (not always balding/razoring) above the eyes....

Last edited by a moderator:
Spotted Pony Girl--- You GO Girl ! LOL

You and Erica made my day.

My horse could care less if I cut ALL his hair off....

but take away his grass.... Now THAT he considers cruel! hehe

Just kidding, OF COURSE.

BTW I do not intentionally clip eyelashes either, but have accidently.

They grow back VERY FAST.

Maybe we could start a class for naturally groomed horses...but wouldn't that be hard to regulate too??
Hmmm...does that mean that you can't trim up the mane or tail at all? How do you "naturally" groom? Horses "naturally" groom each other just on the neck and withers and I don't think I will try it that way. lol So...by going "natural" should we not trim the knee length sunburned tresses, not trim bridlepaths, not polish hooves? Heck, trimming hooves isn't "natural" either! Should we just let those grow and brak off "naturally" too? Face it, we keep horses in stalls or padocks as we see fit and feed them in a way that is convenient for US than then stand them in the arena to show---how "natural" is any of that? It isn't! Teaching horses to go over little wooden or plastic jumps and go through our cute little obstacle courses or pull us around in those adorable little carts sure as heck isn't "natural" now is it? This is a man made breed that we have to enjoy. I enjoy going out and clipping bridle paths, brushing and conditioning manes and tails and working on jumping, obstacles and driving. As long as people aren't hurting their horses then anyone who disagrees with it should just back off and get a life of their own to worry about. Personally I don't razor because I would make a mess of it and I really don't care for the plastic look. I don't think anything more of it than shaving legs or arm pits, btw--and you won't see me looking like a French chick! As long as pain is not being inflicted, then move on and find something that matters to take on as a focus!

-Amy

This kind of goes along with, if you don't like the topic don't participate in it. If you have better things to do, please do them.

Ironic how most everyone agrees that everyone should be left to do what they want to do but have a lot of criticism for the person who posted the proposal and yet they are only doing what they want to do. Not saying I am for what they are doing, only saying every one who wants the right to do what they want to do should also allow this person the same rights. Bummer, isn't it, when not everything is what we would like it to be> Mary
wink.gif

Lacey said:
I am sick to death of this topic. If you don't like it don't do it, I can't for the life of me figure out what in the world is so difficult about that concept! !
I can't believe that people don't have anything better to do with their time, especially with all of the things that are happening right now
no.gif

462093[/snapback]

Buckskin Gal, I find your comments completely unnecessary, I wasn't directing my comments towards anyone but the person with this joke of a rule proposal! The person proposing this "rule" is in fact trying to change what I want to do with MY horses. This fact alone is enough to light a fire under my butt. The reason this topic irritates me so much is that we just had this very same argument a few weeks ago, and yes I happen to shave and razor my horses. I was in the minority on that topic but wanted to express my opinion. This is exactly why I am posting now.

I also find that with the things going on in the world right now, griping about shaving a horse or not shaving a horse is at the top of your (generally speaking) list of things to do.

I will shave my horses, I will razor my horses, and I will show my horses and will continue to do well in the showring. If anyone doesn't agree that is just fine but it is certainly not their place to tell me that I can't do it!

Erica, Carol, Whitney, and Tagalong I could not agree more!

Well Mary, what exactly did you think would happen when you posted the topic?

Sure there is criticism but not the way you stated it. The people that razor don't give a rats what anyone else wants to do. That was said over and over. Again, it's about choice. Not once did anyone that does razor tell anyone that doesn't that they should. So your post does not make much sense to me.

And maybe you haven't been around long enough to know how many times this topic has been beat to death. And the only real BUMMER is that I am sure this won't be the last time this sorry topic gets brought up either. <BIG YAWN>

Buckskin Gal, I find your comments completely unnecessary, I wasn't directing my comments towards anyone but the person with this joke of a rule proposal! The person proposing this "rule" is in fact trying to change what I want to do with MY horses. This fact alone is enough to light a fire under my butt.
LOL......Lacey............a well needed giggle even though I am sure you did not mean it that way. But I couldn't agree more and believe me my butt is one big butt to light!
torch.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Vertical Limit Minis said:
Well Mary, what exactly did you think would happen when you posted the topic?up either. <BIG YAWN>

Buckskin Gal, I find your comments completely unnecessary, I wasn't directing my comments towards anyone but the person with this joke of a rule proposal! The person proposing this "rule" is in fact trying to change what I want to do with MY horses. This fact alone is enough to light a fire under my butt.
LOL......Lacey............a well needed giggle even though I am sure you did not mean it that way. But I couldn't agree more and believe me my butt is one big butt to light!
torch.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

462241[/snapback]

Lacey and Carol I agree I do think perhaps there are to many that like to play watch them fight sigh...

But Carol add my umm rather untiny butt to the list as well
biggrin.gif

Lacey and Carol I agree I do think perhaps there are to many that like to play watch them fight sigh...But Carol add my umm rather untiny butt to the list as well 
Perfect Lisa........... Start a Thread and Watch Them Fight
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

We've got a handful of those for sure.

LACEY......CAROL...........LISA
laugh.gif

moon.gif
moon.gif
moon.gif
torch.gif
torch.gif
torch.gif

I saw the ad on the salesboard....and all it did was point out that if you did not agree and wanted to try to change the rules..do so..

Is that NOT OK???

Because you don`t agree should not affect how others think..as Erica said..she does what she wants..well, can`t the author of the post do what she wants too???

I don`t see why everyone is getting so upset...unless its that old "I think he doth protest too much"....
wacko.gif

Boy you gals can't even take resonsibility for your own so called "fights" I don't see any one wanting to start fights, this is not what posting this was supposed to do but I don't control what people do...they do it and then try to blame someone for what they do. Some complain about divisions, well those who fight cause more to divide than any one else. Who is fighting!! You , the other person or just what is going on...thought discussions were supposed to be going on and if people choose to respond to something that you think is all about starting a fight why join in? Looks like afew hot heads here. And as far as what I have said about the shoe being on the other foot, I do stand by it. I think it was stated at the beginning as to why I copied the article but then a few of you want it all your way and nothing else. Mary

Vertical Limit Minis said:
Lacey and Carol I agree I do think perhaps there are to many that like to play watch them fight sigh...But Carol add my umm rather untiny butt to the list as well 
Perfect Lisa........... Start a Thread and Watch Them Fight
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

We've got a handful of those for sure.

LACEY......CAROL...........LISA
laugh.gif

moon.gif
moon.gif
moon.gif
torch.gif
torch.gif
torch.gif

462271[/snapback]

Very well stated cyndi. Some just choose to take things way beyond what is really there. Mary

CyndiD said:
I saw the ad on the salesboard....and all it did was point out that if you did not agree and wanted to try to change the rules..do so..
Is that NOT OK???

Because you don`t agree should not affect how others think..as Erica said..she does what she wants..well, can`t the author of the post do what she wants too???

I don`t see why everyone is getting so upset...unless its that old "I think he doth protest too much"....
wacko.gif

462283[/snapback]

CyndiD said:
Is that NOT OK???

wacko.gif

462283[/snapback]

Cyndi I can speak for myself and I have said this before ... it isnt that someone agrees or disagrees or clips or doesnt clip or shows or doesnt show or thinks that minis are minis and ponies arent allowed or any of those topics for me personally it is the term cruel and abusive as related to a everyday common thing in every breed such as bodyclipping a horse.

If someone wants to right a proposal to stop it more power to them but again I know the person who wrote this on the sale board isnt the same one to post it i do realize that...

but to say I dont do it cause i dont like it and I want a proposal to stop it to me is a very different thing then saying bodyclipping is cruel and abusive. At least that was it for me that is a pretty heavy statement cruel and abusive and one i personally dont take lightly that is what it is for me on this particular thread.

And once more i will say I do realize that the person who started this thread DID NOT type those words and simply copied them

We will present our horses the way we have all year. We feed, fit, clip and razor our show horses, have all year. Not a single one has been sick, sunburned, bloody or depressed. The only people that I care what they think about how we present these horses are the what ever number of judges are standing in the ring when we present them. If they don't like the job we did, we will know it.

This is a gelding we have been showing all year. Can you tell what he was clipped with and how far in advance of this picture he was clipped. And for the record, Samantha got a bit carried away with the blending and went to far up his face. It won't happen again.

travis2.jpg

Oohhh

I guess that because I clipped Peanut with a 30 blade, I am being cruel, and abusing him!

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Its your own choice, my goodness people, stop trying to control others!

Boy you gals can't even take resonsibility for your own so called "fights" I don't see any one wanting to start fights, this is not what posting this was supposed to do but I don't control what people do...they do it and then try to blame someone for what they do. Some complain about divisions, well those who fight cause more to divide than any one else. Who is fighting!! You , the other person or just what is going on...thought discussions were supposed to be going on and if people choose to respond to something that you think is all about starting a fight why join in? Looks like afew hot heads here. And as far as what I have said about the shoe being on the other foot, I do stand by it. I think it was stated at the beginning as to why I copied the article but then a few of you want it all your way and nothing else. Mary
BOLDING mine. NO ONE said that... ANYWHERE. Geeeeez.

Mary... with all due respect, THAT ^^^ is one of the most "hot-headed" and argumentative/fighting posts on this thread. Pot. Kettle. Black. Or that is how it comes across...

People were discussing the clipping issue, how such a rule would be enforced and what they thought of the idea. NOT specifically going after the person who posted that on the sale board. When you single out the "girls" as you have... it becomes a bit of bashing.

Message board etiquette.... refer to the post and not the poster. And ALL opinions - even those you disagree with... are valid.

And on this board... words like ABUSE and CRUELTY are going to be incendiary... that much should be obvious...

*sigh*

Neil said:
Maybe there should also be a rule that exhibitors can not shave any part of their body nor wear makeup. It is not natural.
461831[/snapback]

A human shaving and putting on make-up is up to them, but I wonder if the exhibitors would like their horses shaving them and putting on their make-up????hmmmmmmmmmmmmm something to think about, eh.

A human shaving and putting on make-up is up to them, but I wonder if the exhibitors would like their horses shaving them and putting on their make-up????hmmmmmmmmmmmmm something to think about, eh.
Well if the mares I work for did it in as non-abusive, non-extreme, careful and quiet a way as I do it to them... fine by me - I'll hand them the Double Ks... and they can start with a 40...
wink.gif

And FWIW... unless horses here are showing... are fuzzy babies.... or there is a special event like the photo shoot... everyone has their bridle paths and jawlines trimmed... the long tufts at their ears leveled off... any excessive feathering on their legs cleaned up a bit... and that's it.

Sterling said:
I saw this ad posted last night as well.  To get a better idea of what they were talking about I went to their wbsite to take a look see.  To me it looked as if some of their horses  were muzzle shaved and greased....I may be wrong, and it may just be my computer that made it look that way, but I'm kinda confused as to what they really mean...aside from the eyelash shaving.
462008[/snapback]

Yes you saw a razored horse on my website. He is my first mini. I purchased him this year and my trainer in Texas is showing him. I attended the Central Regionals and he took Champion in Multi Color and Top Ten in his halter class. I am proud of him, however I do not like the close grooming. I simply am stating my gut felt feelings. I am not personally talking about anyone particular. I am a paying member and have the right to state my feelings and ask if others feel the same as I do. As a paying member, I have the right to ask for a rule to be added. It may not be added, who knows. However, Kristy Mackey of AMHA told me there has been much discussion on this subject in the past and they just need to figure out a way to police this rule. So I must not be alone in thinking it is cruel. After reading all your rude remarks towards me, I still feel in my heart that it is cruel to razor to the skin. After 63 yrs of life, owning my own business and having two children and 5 grandchildren I am pretty thick skinned. I know their are a lot of things that need to be changed and accupunture and lipo should not be allowed. I had no idea this was happening since I am new to halter showing.

I hope to make many friends in minis as I do with most anything I do, but I will never think razoring is not cruel. It is not normal, just like razoring a dog would not be normal. Clip a dog, yes that is good grooming. Razor a dog, no. Just like razoring a horse should be no. I would never cut anyone down on this forum, and I am surprised at how cruel some of the replys have been. Now I ask, why is your way the only correct way and you get so upset if someone disagrees with the treatment of so many show horses. I have many wonderful show horses, but I do not want to subject them to some of the norm in halter showing. Wish I had known all this before I invested sooooooooooooo many bucks. However, after receiving so many emails that are in agreement with me, some day this new rule will take effect. Until, I am not pleased with what I see in the show ring. A horse is a horse is a horse and it should remain looking like a horse the way God made it with some clean up grooming of course. How would you feel if the horse was grooming you and slipped and accidently cut your eyelashes???????? Even if your beautician slipped while trimming your eyebrows and cut your eyelashes. Wow!

Think about it. If this was routine, we would never go to be groomed at a beauty shop again. LOL LOL LOL
yes.gif
unsure.gif
saludando.gif

Back