Rule change to stop shaving horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seemed to me like the post was on the sales board a number of times? Or maybe it's just slow this weekend so it's stayed up near the top.

I think it's ridiculous. It says many have emailed in favor of it. GREAT. You know what, I assume they've got their OWN horses and the ability to not shave them. It's not any one else's business how others choose to groom and present their own horses.

With all the truly important situations in the world today, this surely seems to be pretty frivolous and asinine!

Liposuction????????electric acupuncture???????you've got to be kidding?????Are you saying that there are people in the miniature horse business doing this to win?????????Please say no.. 
Yes, it's a fact. There are those doing that which I feel is far worse than simply clipping or shaving the outside of a horse! As one owner said, 'Whatever it takes to win'!
no.gif

You won't find that on my farm! Neither my breeding herd nor my client show horses. I breed and train naturally beautiful horses that win on their own merits!
aktion033.gif

With all due respect to the peoople who wrote this my first thought was is this a joke- with all going on in the world today with both human and animal and even before katrina... to focus on grooming and call it cruel is well i dont even have words for it..

but they can go ahead and try dont see how it can ever pass who is to say what 10 blade is sharper then another blah blah blah

wish that of all the things concerning our horses today this would take a back seat i mean GET OVER IT every breed clips there horses close on the face to show halter i was at a big QH show this weekend they were doing the same there to

BIGGER ISSUES IN LIFE PEOPLE
rolleyes.gif

Ditto Erica, Becky & Lisa

I have much more concern for the horses and for the breed when medical/surgical procedures and performance enhancing drugs are the issue.
sad.gif

Charlotte

Personally I don't want to do it and it makes me a little nervous when people say that if they slip they cut of the eye lashes, what about the eye? But that is just me I would be too worried about cutting the eye. To me... I just don't like it, but to each his own.
RebelsHope-

When you are clipping with whatever blade on the horses face and you get to around the eye, you then will with your free hand shut the eye (keep it closed) but still the eyelashes are "hanging" down in easy reach of the clippers........if a horse happens to spook or look around at that point it is SO EASY to accidently clip off some eyelashes..........and the eyeball not even no what is going on as the lid was closed.

The Rules Committee can of course adjust and rewrite however they decide. I will be out of town for a few days delivering generators and hay to Louisiana, but I would like to hear from any of you that agree a horse should not be shaved to the point that they cannot go outside and also that they need their eyelashes for eye protection. As far as I am concerned, it is cruel to shave a horse with any blade closer than a #10. Really in winter a #10 is to close, but that would never pass. All minis will appreciate you writing to AMHA for a rule to be established regarding grooming of horses for 2006.
First this would be a show rule and not a general rule. The Rules committee can not adjust and rewrite as they see fit. They can not change the intent at all! Sometimes words are changed to make the intent more easily understood but things are never changed. BTW it is too late to do anything for 2006. Things passed at the meeting in Feb 2006 will take effect Jan 1 2007.

worshippy.gif
Well said Erica!
worshippy.gif

If you don't want to shave your horses than don't. But, don't stop people who are doing it, it's their choice.

Like alot have said, its not even close to cruelty compared to starving horses, phiscally abusing them, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
mistyrose said:
The Rules Committee can of course adjust and rewrite however they decide. I will be out of town for a few days delivering generators and hay to Louisiana, but I would like to hear from any of you that agree a horse should not be shaved to the point that they cannot go outside and also that they need their eyelashes for eye protection. As far as I am concerned, it is cruel to shave a horse with any blade closer than a #10. Really in winter a #10 is to close, but that would never pass. All minis will appreciate you writing to AMHA for a rule to be established regarding grooming of horses for 2006.
First this would be a show rule and not a general rule. The Rules committee can not adjust and rewrite as they see fit. They can not change the intent at all! Sometimes words are changed to make the intent more easily understood but things are never changed. BTW it is too late to do anything for 2006. Things passed at the meeting in Feb 2006 will take effect Jan 1 2007.

461969[/snapback]

So wait, this rule is actually going to take place? There is no way we can change it?

i have to agree here!! there are so MUCH WORSE THINGS happening to our minis then clipping. While i dont personally agree with some extreme clipping i dont equate it to cruel. And yes i have accidentally shaved some eyelashes. And i felt really bad about it but i did find that they do grow back very quickly. I would never do it on purpose but if you have ever clipped a horses head youll find how easy it is to accidentally clip off some eyelashes.

I can think of alot of rule additions MUCH MORE NEEDED then this. For example how about this one

If your farm has been turned in to the Humane Society for repeated animal cruelty and neglect, you will no longer be able to register foals or participate in sanctioned shows.

Theres a rule id like to see!

Hmmm no shaving I think it is a great idea.. In fact I won't clip either. ruins the color oh well that is my choice a rule well maybe it is time..

Clipping is something between an owner and their horse. If someone thinks clipping with a certain blade then they DON'T NEED TO DO IT!!!
wacko.gif

Well I am just so sick of this subject (as it never seems to go anywhere).......
I don't see why people can't do what they WANT and not worry about others. No one is making anyone do anything they don't want to.

If you never want to bodyclip your horse - good for you. If you want to clip with a #10 - good for you. If you want to clip with a #15 - good for you. If you want to clip with a #30 - good for you. If you want to clip with a #40 - good for you. If you want to razor - good for you. If you want to Not razor - good for you.
I agree Erica.........

All the comment I see about her horses looking so fantastic.......and they do. What is the problem. There is a reason her horses look fantastic......it's a total picture!

ARE YOU KIDDING???

THIS AGAIN! I too am sick to death of it. Nobody is making anybody do what they do not want to do. I find most comments about abuse extremely IGNORANT and most don't even show further than 50 miles from their own back yard or not show at all. I also find the ones screaming about it have never been shown or been around a horse that is being razored in a PROPER fashion. It's really the fear of what they do not know.

Now........for the rule change:

I show Arabians and have done so for over 35 years. Our barn was instrumental in passing the ginger rule because it is cruel. Anyone wanna try some ginger where the sun doesn't shine? OK.......Now for razoring...........and I am only going to comment on this once. We did pass a rule that there has to be VISIBLE HAIR on face and eyes. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS PEOPLE????????????????

All this means is that we now razor 5 days in advance so those VISABLE HAIRS will grow in. NOW...............what did this rule change do? NOTHING! Everyone just gets the job done a little earlier. You make a rule and people find there way around it.

Aren't there bigger and more important fish to fry? Some of you need to get a life!

Get on the band wagon about something that is really matters.

What I am most definitely opposed to is invasive and surgical procedures to enhance conformation, specifically electric accupuncture and liposuction.
Me too Becky! Erica is correct, it is a choice. You can most certainly show in full body coat per the rule book.

Cruel...........I don' think so! Most show horses are pampered to death and being body clipped simply does not fall into the "cruel" category. Nor does shaving a muzzle unless you don't know how to do it and cut them.

Aren't there bigger and more important fish to fry? Some of you need to get a life!Get on the band wagon about something that is really matters.
ditto Carol.
Beth

I saw this ad posted last night as well. To get a better idea of what they were talking about I went to their wbsite to take a look see. To me it looked as if some of their horses were muzzle shaved and greased....I may be wrong, and it may just be my computer that made it look that way, but I'm kinda confused as to what they really mean...aside from the eyelash shaving.

Carol, I'm glad you brought that up about razoring in advance, because I thought that, too.

I figured that is how it would go if people were disallowed from bringing horses to a show that had been razored, is that they would do it early enough to have the hair grow back somewhat.

The way this particular suggestion is worded, it is extremely limiting, and I'm sure nothing like this would pass, anyway.

Liz M.

I do have a problem with the eyelash shaving. I asked that Cole not have his eye lashes taken off. It's one thing to clip the long hairs around the eye, but I prefer that my horses keep their eyelashes.

On the issue of shaving the muzzle. I probably will not do it myself because I don't want to do it and know that if I attempted it it would be a mess.

Isn't that the truth..so often so it is do as I say and not do as I do! Some pretty strong opinions here and yes we can choose to do what ever we want to in trimming for showing. Just because I wouldn't want to cut off the eyelashes doesn't mean I would want it ruled out for those who do want to do it. Blade size....whatever it takes! Does any one know who put the ad up? Mary

Sterling said:
I saw this ad posted last night as well.  To get a better idea of what they were talking about I went to their wbsite to take a look see.  To me it looked as if some of their horses  were muzzle shaved and greased....I may be wrong, and it may just be my computer that made it look that way, but I'm kinda confused as to what they really mean...aside from the eyelash shaving.
462008[/snapback]

Give me a break. I think people should clip with what they want. If people chose to shave their faces so be it. Some people prefer it some dont. If their was rule to stop it, well I would have to admit it would be less work
yes.gif
As far as shaving bodies I accidently started with a dang 40 one time. So I had to finish in it, so if there was a rule I wouldnt of been able to show my horse??? Sorry I dont agree at all with this one.

One thing that is misunderstood, IMO, is that fact that razoring a horse does NOT go hand in hand with shaving off eye lashes. I do not think most people on here practice the removal of eye lashes........just the hair above. So those who are equating that to be one of the same.............IT IS NOT!

no.gif
ohmy.gif
Oh, my, you mean some folks actually on purpose shave their horses EYE LASHES off??? How, bazaar. Sorry, can't support this unusual practice; hope this is not a trend.
no.gif

Back