Rule change to stop shaving horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kdtexas said:
no.gif

ohmy.gif
Oh, my, you mean some folks actually on purpose shave their horses EYE LASHES off??? How, bazaar. Sorry, can't support this unusual practice; hope this is not a trend.
no.gif

462061[/snapback]

You are so correct about that.. Nature put them eyelashes there for a purpose
new_shocked.gif
enough said.
aktion033.gif

This topic has been beaten to death, and still manages to rear its head again. I have to weigh in on the side of individual preference too - I think razoring is far from cruel, it's a pain in the neck but contributes to an overall look that many do like.

Jan

I absolutely agree with Erica and Carol
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
!

I am sick to death of this topic. If you don't like it don't do it, I can't for the life of me figure out what in the world is so difficult about that concept! I like my horses clipped (oh the horrors of using something closer than a 10
wink.gif
) and their faces done. I absolutely do not support taking off the eyelashes but mistakes do happen. And like Carol said razoring and shaving off the eyelashes do NOT go hand in hand!

I can't believe that people don't have anything better to do with their time, especially with all of the things that are happening right now
no.gif

I found this on the sales board.

In my above posting, you cannot reach the form to fill out. Sorry.  This is the email I received back from AMHA.

Sandy,

We did receive a show rule amendment to address this last year, but it was defeated during the Show Rules Committee. Everyone was concerned about how to police a rule like this.

You can certainly re-submit this rule to Show Rules if you would like to.  You could research this under another breed, they may have something better than the one submitted last year.  The form is on the AMHA Website, on this link:  http://www.amha.org/index.asp?KeyName=314.  The form is the Rule Change Proposal Form.

I would need to receive this by the first week in January 2006 in order to take it to the February Annual Meeting.

Thank you for your concern.

Kristy Mackey

Well my 2 cts worth. I personally find shaving the muzzle and eyes ugly and then all that greasing up...yuk! but I am not a show person. I have shown a few times long ago before so much of this junk started. I would like to show again one day but I don't know if I am up to doing all this nonsense. I like the actual natural color to be obvious. palominos look white instead of palomino etc.

I do body clip all my minis in the spring mostly to get the old fuzzy hair coat off to help with shedding and itching. I sometimes do in the fall on ones who grow wooly mammoth hair coats
wacko.gif

But can we enforce this rule..doubt it. I used to show dogs even more years ago, they had rules for surgical alterations to enhance physical characteristics...did it stop people nope. I had a good friend who did it regularly...she wanted to win no matter what it cost her or the dog
sad.gif

Another note to think about, almost every country in the world has made rules against ear cropping and tail docking in dogs but the USA. they have tried here but haven't been able to get it done yet to my knowledge...........

It makes me sad that we can't just let our little horses be more natural and just do minimal grooming. Maybe we could start a class for naturally groomed horses...but wouldn't that be hard to regulate too??
unsure.gif

I still might try to show but promise I am not into shaving and grease...
rolleyes.gif
so this will probably be a for fun thing instead of deadly serious.
biggrin.gif

saludando.gif
Personally I believe any clipping of the body is unnatural, God put beautiful coats on these horses and people who feel they need to shave it off their horse to get a certain "look" should try to breed better horses, but I guess clipping is easier ! And any judge that cannot judge the quality of a horse with it's natural coat isn't much of a judge. Not shaving might also eliminate a lot of altering the color and conformation outline, gosh wouldn't that be terrible if the horse looked the way it was built naturally? I guess these people who feel the need to clip their horses figure they can improve on Gods work and the natural beauty of the horse. Sorry if my opinion does not agree with yours but I believe horses are beautiful the way God made them, not the way man alters them.

Jenny

kyminihorse said:
saludando.gif
Personally I believe any clipping of the body is unnatural, God put beautiful coats on these horses and people who feel they need to shave it off their horse to get a certain "look" should try to breed better horses, but I guess clipping is easier !  And any judge that cannot judge the quality of a horse with it's natural coat isn't much of a judge.  Not shaving might also eliminate a lot of altering the color and conformation outline, gosh wouldn't that be terrible if the horse looked the way it was built naturally?  I guess these people who feel the need to clip their horses figure they can improve on Gods work and the natural beauty of the horse.  Sorry if my opinion does not agree with yours but I believe horses are beautiful the way God made them, not the way man alters them.Jenny

462123[/snapback]

Actually, miniature horses are pretty much a man made breed. I don't think God wants my minis sweating bullets in late June because they still haven't shed off. I love how cuddly cute my horses look in the fall and winter, but when it comes to them going to a show, I want them clipped and polished and looking like some effort has been put into their presentation. Good news is, we all have our own horses to make choices about.

I would like to show again one day but I don't know if I am up to doing all this nonsense.
This is what I don't get....... The rulebook doesn't state that you HAVE to clip/razor/ or even bath your horse if you don't want to - to show it. People who don't like the clipped/razored look are making it sound like those that do like it (or are doing it) are MAKING THEM do it also.

Yes I am one that does clip/razor (not eyelashes)/bath ext......my horses. I just put all my time and effort into getting my horses groomed, fitted and presented the way I want them and not watse any precious energy fretting about others.

If you have a horse that you want to show "au natural" go for it. A good horse is a good horse, clipped or not, and if the unclipped horse is the best in its class it will still win.

I think everyone should go listen to Montgomery Gentry's " You do your thing, I'll do mine" song on CMT's site.
rolleyes.gif

Erica said:
This is what I don't get.......  The rulebook doesn't state that you HAVE to clip/razor/ or even bath your horse if you don't want to - to show it.  People who don't like the clipped/razored look are making it sound like those that do like it (or are doing it) are MAKING THEM do it also. 

462140[/snapback]

Oh now erica come on lets admit it there are those show people you know those evil blasted show people who wait till a unsuspecting natural horse walks by near the in gate and then we spring into action grabbing the horse pulling him behind a trashcan clippers in one had razor in the other and make sure that horse is clipped and razored before he enters the ring
rolleyes.gif

Ok sorry for being so umm bratty there we will call it but come on cruel - abuse- clipping a horse?! this has gotten more then laughable

and yes Carol i agree most who dont know what it looks like in person or havent been to any shows to see it assume that clipping, sculpting the face razoring whatever = cutting off eyelashes it doesnt.

Jenny, There are many on here who agree with you at least to an extent, but just as anyone should have the freedom NOT to clip, so should they have the freedom TO clip.

But as Jane said, an unclipped or non-balded horse does NOT mean an ungroomed or poorly presented horse. Mingus was cleaned and brushed and polished and fine-tuned to the nth degree...just no balding or body clipping. (and I realize that I'm blessed with a horse with a great natural summer coat...not all minis have that)

Once again, I say lead by example, not by legislation. If you don't like it, don't do it. If you win, others will follow.

I so agree with you that we should all do what we think is best for us and our horses. Where the problem lies, with some people, is they think they have to do, as the winners do in order to win. If they see eylashes cut off the winner they will think that is what they also have to do with their horse. People go to shows to learn and seeing some of the things that go on does turn them off to wanting to show. The horse that fits the SOP best should definitely win regardless of eyelashes or not, regardless of greased or not, regardless of trimmed with no. 15 blade, 10 blade, or left to the natural beauty of the coat. I do think common sense should tell all of us that eyelashes should be left alone because they are there for a purpose. JMHO Mary

Erica said:
I would like to show again one day but I don't know if I am up to doing all this nonsense.
This is what I don't get....... The rulebook doesn't state that you HAVE to clip/razor/ or even bath your horse if you don't want to - to show it. People who don't like the clipped/razored look are making it sound like those that do like it (or are doing it) are MAKING THEM do it also.

Yes I am one that does clip/razor (not eyelashes)/bath ext......my horses. I just put all my time and effort into getting my horses groomed, fitted and presented the way I want them and not watse any precious energy fretting about others.

If you have a horse that you want to show "au natural" go for it. A good horse is a good horse, clipped or not, and if the unclipped horse is the best in its class it will still win.

I think everyone should go listen to Montgomery Gentry's " You do your thing, I'll do mine" song on CMT's site.
rolleyes.gif

462140[/snapback]

Ok sorry for being so umm bratty there we will call it but come on cruel - abuse- clipping a horse?!  this has gotten more then laughableand yes Carol i agree most who dont know what it looks like in person or havent been to any shows to see it assume that clipping, sculpting the face razoring whatever = cutting off eyelashes it doesnt.
I agree. It's beyond laughable! To even suggest that body clipping alters a horses conformation is the the most ridiculous thing I have heard yet.
new_shocked.gif
laugh.gif
Clipping a horse does exactly the opposite. You can see every little line and curve.

I suggest a great many of you get educated before commenting.

And I still say.......those who complain most are the ones that are totally clueless or they have never been off the farm.

This is not to be confused with people who choose not to razor and still show. To each his own. Everyone has a right to make a choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
An absolutely stupid rule proposal. I agree with Erica, and the rest. I personally use either 10 or 15 on bodies (depending on the horse, and color), and from 15 to 30 on heads. Whether I razor or not depends on the horse as well. Some I think look great that way (bays, blacks), and some I don't care for it on. Personal preference. It is silly to suggest that it hurts them. I haven't a single horse who has shown any degree of discomfort in their treatment in that regards.

It's amazing to me how a person's religion somehow affects how * I should horse show*. Seperation of Church and Horse Show please.

I completly agree with Erica and Carol, many of you need educations before you start flapping your pie-holes.

Susanne shows a perfect example of how handling how she feels, by not doing what she dosen't want to and winning. Hello.

Yes but we need to breed better horses because clipping them somehow Hides conformation falts?? Right, right, and giving them a bath chages their natural color too huh?
rolleyes.gif

Unlike Lisa, I will not apologise,(or spell correctly, sigh) this is stupid (the entire thought, though I am also one who isn't a fan of eyelash shaving), and it's Stupid people proposing it. Think, please. Try it just once.

One more soap box, Electric Accupuncture is Not cruel. I have seen it and had it done on Lots of my non-sweating or debiliated rescues by VETS!!! We are not talking 120 volts here people, it's a small tingly current, and yes I have had it done on myself. (It tickles and it's odd, Not painful) The point is to make treating that "point" more effective if the horse has a very severe deficency.

I am not sure how any of you find it cruel, it must be that the idea is yucky and you have never had or seen it done.

And if your defense is, the horse gets so upset and jumps around... RIGHT, because horses are not Flight animals. My horses get freaked out when we paint the fences or put a new fly mask on, let alone someone new and scary who wants to Poke them. Do some research, ask some questions to Qualified people, then form your opnion.

(Liposuction, nerve cutting, and all of that crazyness should be absolutly banned I completly agree, That is alteration of an animal, and cruel.) Bring on the flames, I am so sad and upset by the past week I would LOVE to vent on you as well.
saludando.gif

I do as I want which is NOT razoring and not cutting off eyelashes and I do shave with a 10 and 15. I could care less what anyone else does, as long as it doesn't affect me and my year end taxes.

Does not mean it's a bad idea though, and I would vote for it.
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Marty said:
I do as I want which is NOT razoring and not cutting off eyelashes and I do shave with a 10 and 15. I could care less what anyone else does, as long as it doesn't affect me and my year end taxes.
Does not mean it's a bad idea though, and I would vote for it.

462191[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Well this finalises my decision!

Not to show!

I am leaving my horses where they are as they are.

I will shave and clip myself, put on my make up, wear what I want and sit quietly and enjoy the theatrics from the sideline!

Just my choice, it will work better for me!

The other just seems too confusing.

I, along with alot of others am going with Erica on this one. It should definatly be a choice for everyone...we all do things different
yes.gif

-Kris

One more soap box, Electric Accupuncture is Not cruel. I have seen it and had it done on Lots of my non-sweating or debiliated rescues by VETS!!! We are not talking 120 volts here people, it's a small tingly current, and yes I have had it done on myself. (It tickles and it's odd, Not painful) The point is to make treating that "point" more effective if the horse has a very severe deficency. I am not sure how any of you find it cruel, it must be that the idea is yucky and you have never had or seen it done.

And if your defense is, the horse gets so upset and jumps around... RIGHT, because horses are not Flight animals. My horses get freaked out when we paint the fences or put a new fly mask on, let alone someone new and scary who wants to Poke them. Do some research, ask some questions to Qualified people, then form your opnion.

(Liposuction, nerve cutting, and all of that crazyness should be absolutly banned I completly agree, That is alteration of an animal, and cruel.) Bring on the flames, I am so sad and upset by the past week I would LOVE to vent on you as well.
Electric acupuncture used to treat medical conditions is entirely different than electric acupuncture used to shape/re-shape necks. Period. I am 100% against this practice that is being done by some. I believe in breeding necks, not manufacturing them!

Electric acupuncture used to treat medical conditions is entirely different than electric acupuncture used to shape/re-shape necks. Period. I am 100% against this practice that is being done by some. I believe in breeding necks, not manufacturing them!
Very Well said~~~
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back