Rule change to stop shaving horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again who cares what size blade you clip with. I find there are alot of other "hidden" things that are going on that I would rather see gone.

AS for trying to police the weight of a horse..............I hate that even more. Yes I see alot that are to thin, but whos to say that is because they are that way? I have a gelding who I was afraid to show for the first 3 years of his life. I thought people would think I was starveing him when I wasnt. He just was a very hard keeper. HE had 8 cups of grain a day, free choice hay, and free choice pasture. It wasnt until he was 4 that he finally filled out.

tagalong said:
It's much easier to shave the coat off and spray on an coat enhancer to produce an artificial shine than it is to feed, condition and spend hour upon hour grooming the natural coat to make it look halfway presentable in the ring. I doubt some are going to want to go to those extremes anymore, especially with a large show string, and may be at the root why the practice is so popular.
Ummmm.... so now those who clip for shows are lazy and taking shortcuts?? *sigh again* Good conditioning and feeding and grooming is still essential for a coat in good bloom with the dappling and shine you need to look good in the show ring... the sprays etc. only enhance what is already there. If you clip a dull coat it will still not look good - no matter how much Pepi or Show Sheen you spray on... there will be no depth or life to it. It is not a short cut - as with the idea that clipping would hide conformation faults (!) .... clipping does not hide a lack of good conditioning and grooming...

Oh well... as some seem to find fault with everything I post... I'll just drop off here for a while and let the people who are good to their horses and never abuse them (which apparently is not me - heh) carry on....

462626[/snapback]

Well if it was read for comprehension, my statement was in regard to the natural coat, and that those who think a horse must be shaved to be show ring presentable calling those who don't --LAZY, when it's actually easier to shave and put on artifical shine than all the work it takes to polish a natural coat.

And glad you are taking a break from it all as it seems I'm not the only one you are annoying.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
Personally when I did show I clipped with a 10 blade, left eyelashes and trimmed inner ear hair at the ear edges (not inside). I don't like the razored look nor balding. I like to see hair right up to the corner of the mouth. That's my preference, I've shown like that (successfully).

If a rule came up that "no trimming of eyelashes" were to come up I'd be in favor of it. Eye lashes protect the eye. As to a rule on body clipping- there is no way to police that. More often than not the people I have seen that do razor and bald do protect the horses from sunburn.

IMO To each his own as long as it is not causing an animal pain or suffering.

Tammie

I am not even reading any replies.......Why waste good energy on something that is far from likely to change? I could see going after shaving eyelashes, liposuction, steroid use, drugging, eyedrops, gingering.....but why stress yourself about something that is not technically abusive......they shave cows for 4h they shave goats they shave sheep........shaving happens some will do it others wont....as long as it isn't detrimental to the well being of the animal I cannot see making waves just to make waves
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Ashley, I was being a smart a-- about the weight, that would be about as difficult to police as clipping. In some opinions a horse might be to thin but looks fine to the other 50 percent of people, just like clipping, shaving face, and shaving eyelashes. I like my freedom of choice, thats why I live in the USA.

Reading all this got me to thinking.....

I have a hard time clipping the ears and around the eye...I cannot imagine clipping eyelashes...
unsure.gif

SO..How do you do that??? I would be so very afraid the horse would jerk and we would lose an eye...

has that ever happened???

susanne said:
While I don't bodyclip other than for early shows, and personally find razoring repulsive (I clip but never shave the muzzle and clean up under the chin), I would rather change people's opinion by showing how other approaches can look great and win, not by legislating such a change.
On the other hand, anyone who gingers should have a piece of that stuff shoved up under their tail!

461838[/snapback]

I body clip with a #10 and I never us a #30 blade. I have light colored horses and they brun in the sun. I believe that the horse still needs to be a horse and allowed time outside, even if they are a show horse. I know folks who keep them indoors until show season is over.
no.gif
This is sad. Even when they are kept indoors, they need their eyelashes so they don't get eye injuries. Why as humans, do we really need to clip them is my question. Can't we enjoy them as GOD gave them to us????
ohmy.gif
I remember when I had big horses and saw the first total body shaver miniature with a #30 blade
new_shocked.gif
I though the horse looked awful and couldn't understand why they would do that to the horse.

Now after showing at rated shows, I understand the shaving the horse. However some of the miniatures I have only need shaved in the spring and their coats stay short, nice and neat for the show season. i only have to keep after the bridle path...
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back