Really low prices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a tad off point but I get tired of hearing it doesn't matter what color they are. Yes it does. Take any breed of horse if you were lucky enough to be able to find two exactly equal horses except different in color the horse with the most desirable color will sell first and for more money.

Before I get roasted for being one of "those" color breeders I invite you over to count the silvers, sorrels and brown horses in my herd. The old adage that a good horse is any color holds true for me but if I can get a good horse with color well then color me happy.
default_wink.png

I have seen some really nice horses go incredibly cheap lately. Like $150 for buckskin weanlings with good pedigress (Buckeroo, Aza Destiny..). $400 for bred mares to a very nice stallion. $200 and under for trained drivers. Is this a good idea, to sell so low? I want to sell my horses, but I just can't lower my prices to that level. When I have spent several thousand for a mare, I think her NICE baby is worth more than $150, even $500. Are breeders holding on to their stock, when they can't get their price, or dropping prices until they sell.

Wendy

I am a little confused as to your post. First let me say I don't mean to sound rude. I know the seller of these horses you are making reference to and also that you purchased the bred mare for the price you listed. Yes we are all falling on hard times and some need to let there horses go for what ever amount to take care of there human family. I cannot find fault with anyone who has to take care of there family first! I would do the same thing if I was in that place. Thank the good lord above myself and my family are not!!!!!!! But if you think the prices listed in your post are to cheap then please don't buy for those prices and wonder why your higher priced horses are not selling. Again don't mean to sound rude at all. Just trying to understand your point " Why are people selling horses so cheap and I can't sell mine for more money But I'll buy those cheap horses??????????
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png

This is not meant as a flame.
default_wink.png

Do you have your head in the sand? Asking if selling a horse at such low prices a good idea.

In the horse market today if you can sell any horse at any price it is a plus.

I have 3 fillies left for 2008 and only one is for sale if I do not get the $150 I'm asking she will stay.

You might ask IF I get the $150??? Yes if and that's a big if. I have had lots of lookers but everyone say thats too much.
default_new_shocked.gif
She is super nice.well bred,sweet as they come... not junk.

I have freinds who raise big horses AQHA and APHA ect super nice horses and they can not give them away.

It is a fact that the high prices for miniature or any horse for that matter are gone and they might be for good.

If any one is getting $$$$$$ for thier horses now they are either very very good sales people or they are just trading papers with other breeders,just so they can say they are getting those prices.

The same thing happened to the arabian market in the 70s + 80s..

If any one is into breeding miniatures or any breed of horse to make money they will be getting out soon.. and that really is not all bad.

JMHO
default_saludando.gif

Shyanne___small_pic.jpg

I have seen some really nice horses go incredibly cheap lately. Like $150 for buckskin weanlings with good pedigress (Buckeroo, Aza Destiny..). $400 for bred mares to a very nice stallion. $200 and under for trained drivers. Is this a good idea, to sell so low? I want to sell my horses, but I just can't lower my prices to that level. When I have spent several thousand for a mare, I think her NICE baby is worth more than $150, even $500. Are breeders holding on to their stock, when they can't get their price, or dropping prices until they sell.

Wendy

I am a little confused as to your post. First let me say I don't mean to sound rude. I know the seller of these horses you are making reference to and also that you purchased the bred mare for the price you listed. Yes we are all falling on hard times and some need to let there horses go for what ever amount to take care of there human family. I cannot find fault with anyone who has to take care of there family first! I would do the same thing if I was in that place. Thank the good lord above myself and my family are not!!!!!!! But if you think the prices listed in your post are to cheap then please don't buy for those prices and wonder why your higher priced horses are not selling. Again don't mean to sound rude at all. Just trying to understand your point " Why are people selling horses so cheap and I can't sell mine for more money But I'll buy those cheap horses??????????
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png
Maybe I gave waaay to many details on my post, or not enough! I really don't want to hurt any feelings. I started by saying they were really nice horses. Amazingly nice for the price. Really good deals. Another friend of mine bought one too, and is thrilled. I posted pictures of my new mare right away--I was (and am) so thrilled with her and her coming baby.Should I lower my prices to the level that they will sell quickly, or is it better to hold them until the market improves? That's my question. Yes, we have to look at our own economic situations. I'm sure not wealthy.The horses that I am selling, all two of them, are not that expensive. Both between $500 -$1,000. Should I drop that alot more so they sell? I have been told to do that, and wanted others opinions. I see alot of the same ads over anc over for horses in the thousands that look like they are not moving. Is it necessary to drop prices really low to get them to sell? Well, I have decided not to sell my coming yearling at this time. I just can't do it! I apoligize if I stepped on any toes. That was not my intention at all!!!

I think in the original post the description was buckskin weanlings. As if the color somehow makes them worth more. Good horses are going for less money now for a majority sellers. Dropping the price would depend soley on how quickly you needed to sell your horses.

I only mentioned they were buckskins, because their breeding was really top buckskin breeding, and it seems lots of people like buckskins, pintos, & blacks, and might buy those first.
How do these horses look? Are they show quality? Are they breeding quality? Doesn't matter what the color is or the bloodlines it has if its not a good horse. Perhaps the owner feels that is how much they are worth.

Market stinks. Too many horses for sale, and will just get worse with all the new foals coming and they will be for sale. We have a problem.

We should honestly not focus on breeding until we get new members. Once we get new people coming in we don't have to sell to eachother anymore. That is what we are doing and that is whats killing the miniature horse breed. We need new people.
They are all nice horses. Definately not culls. Good breeding and conformation. Several have been shown successfully. I bought one of the bred mares, and she is as nice as my mares that I have spent 4x or more. A friend, with alot more experience than I, said I should definately show her in Mare & Foal classes at rated shows. I have another very nice mare, producer of many Champions, in foal to an excellant stallion, and this new little mare's foal could be just as nice! The less expensive mare is bred to a super stallion! It is definately a better time to buy, than sell! I am buying three equines (one's a donkey!) right now--all on terms. I am a new breeder. This is only my third year with minis, although I had Arabs for 30 years. I am expecting just the two mini-foals this spring. If they are fillies, I will keep them. Colts, we'll see-I don't have anything big enough to drive right now and maybe I'll have a nice, athletic colt. I really appreciate all the differant opinions.

If any one is into breeding miniatures or any breed of horse to make money they will be getting out soon.. and that really is not all bad.JMHO
default_saludando.gif
I must respectfully, but wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. I'm hoping it was not meant the way it sounds.

Without a profit, production will cease. Without a profit, there will be no incentive to improve. Our Big 3 automakers have not made a profit and some are in danger of going out of business. Many of our banks and lending institutions have not made a profit and are in danger of going out of business. Profit is a necessity for ANY business to continue to be successful and to improve. I find it unfortunate that so many people seem to think that since they can not make a profit that no one should.
default_no.gif
I cannot say that my business has yet made a profit, but get tired of people telling me it shouldn't or that I am somehow evil for thinking it should.

I am a capitalist, and that seems to be increasingly unpopular in America.
ltlamerica.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy

default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png
It's real easy to make such a reply, when you don't sign your name. I wrote to a number of people who replied yesterday, explaining that I had purchased a mare from these folks (who I care for) and discussing things with them. You and I live in the same area, are probably in the same horse club, will probably show at the same shows. My name was out there, on my perhaps misguided quote for the whole world to see, and you hid (continue to hide). I didn't sleep last night. I am so upset that I really screwed up! Perhaps I shouldn't be writing, since I am a newcomer. But I thought that's how a person learns. I am also very alone in the country, (other than my horses) and enjoy the conversation and learning opportunities of the forum. You could have written me privately with your concern. That would not have been rude. Thanks for making my day. Oh, I always edit my postings, to see if my grammar and punctuation is correct. Might be a good habit for you to develop.

Last edited by a moderator:
If any one is into breeding miniatures or any breed of horse to make money they will be getting out soon.. and that really is not all bad.JMHO
default_saludando.gif
I must respectfully, but wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. I'm hoping it was not meant the way it sounds.

Without a profit, production will cease. Without a profit, there will be no incentive to improve.
I have to respectfully disagree with you
default_smile.png
Many large horse owners are not breeders and in fact go their entire horse careers without ever breeding a single horse. I have not yet seen a shortage of large horses. In minis everyone seems to be a breeder thinking they will make money. It is not such a bad thing for many of these people to decide not to breed. The reality is there is to many horses for the market right now period.

Wow, I am not sure where to start. There are so many things that I want to respond to. So I guess I will make a list!

1. Sales are a little slower right now, but that is always the case at the beginning of the year and we have had a number of folks indicate they are coming out as soon as it warms up a little. When the horses can be clipped, babies are born etc etc.
default_yes.gif

2. We have sold 5 horses since the first of the month and they all sold for within 15% of what we were asking for them. With the exception of one stallion that we were asking 7500.00 for and we sold him to a gentleman for 5,000 as he bought 2 mares with him.
default_aktion033.gif

3. Our upper quality horses have been selling last year and the first month of this year, nor do we not expect to see any decline in those type sales in 2009. The lower end pet quality horses that are sold also have sold at about the normal rate of sales for the last 13 months. The only change we made in 2008 from previous years is that we gelded all stud colts before they left the farm and they were sold without papers as pets. Additionally in talking to two other farms this morning here in Texas they are experiencing about the same things as we are, so I do not think we are special or an anomaly. The middle range horse is though harder to sell in todays market for all of us.
default_unsure.png

4. The key to sales in this or any other economy remains the same - advertising, good husbandry, planned/sucessful/proven breeding programs and pricing that is reasonable but not silly ( 150 for mares or 25,000.00 for a run of the mill mare etc etc as indicated in some of the posts above).
default_wacko.png

5. We personally have bought in the last 13 months, a colt, a filly and a mare and paid what we thought were reasonable prices. But we got what we paid for in our opinion spending $17,950.00 for the three of them. So we are buyers and sellers in todays market.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

To sum it up, in our opinion it is a challenging time in this economy for any industry. But with that said we have observed over the years in the mini industry and also our regular business that most times people have a self-fulfilling prophesy. If they think things are bad and react that way then usually things are bad and get worse for them, if they are proactive, aggressive in marketing and generally feel good about themselves/what they are doing then the world seems to work a little better for them.
default_aktion033.gif

Are hay and feed prices high right now, you bet they are. Are the days of just producing average or less mini's and expect them to bring thousands of dollars gone, you bet they are.
default_no.gif

BUT with a little work, effort and planning things can be and are still better in this industry than in any other equine market in the country.
default_yes.gif

My two cents worth and with that and 1.50 you can get a cup of coffee. Further let me say, I am truly sorry to hear some of you are having the problems you are indicating by your posts. I hope things turn around for you in 2009.
default_wub.png

default_saludando.gif

Without a profit, production will cease. Without a profit, there will be no incentive to improve.
I have to respectfully disagree with you
default_smile.png
Many large horse owners are not breeders and in fact go their entire horse careers without ever breeding a single horse. I have not yet seen a shortage of large horses. In minis everyone seems to be a breeder thinking they will make money. It is not such a bad thing for many of these people to decide not to breed. The reality is there is to many horses for the market right now period.
I understand your point and do agree with it. There are too many breeders and an over production of foals. Reducing the numbers will be good and help increase prices. HOWEVER, if there is no profit, the most knowledgeable breeders with the ability to produce the best will go out of business and that WILL NOT be good for the breed or the business.

The large horse owners you referr to who are not breeding, are obviously not producing more to cease production, so therefore have no association to my statement regarding profit and production.

My objections are to people who seem to think that no one should breed any horses, or that it should be regulated by the government. The Big Brother that would regulate the production/quality of horses produced is the same Big Brother that determines who you can use as an equine dentist, farrier, or vet.

Latest posts

Back