An Auction Gelding's Tale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im the same , I always think of million questions I "wanted" to ask after they leave
default_smile.png

Glad to hear the vet is happy with him , fingers crossed his cough clears up soon.

Try the hay soaking , it does wonders for one of my little mares

Love the story and the updates!!! Thanks for sharing! He is so adorable and so lucky to have fate send him your way! He has the most beautiful eyes! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Definitely give the hay soak a try!

I turned him out in the rear pasture of my folks place. I wonder how long it has been since he's been able to explore an area so vast. He literally took off running... Just to run. No destination, just to run. He got into a little bit of a coughing fit over it, but it didn't stop him. Whenever I go over to feed he comes running. It's satisfying to see him so visibly happy.

The vet sent me the invoice with her notes. She pegged him a 5/9 on the body scale. I didn't think he was that bad, but he has improved. She wants me to dose him with Strongid @250lbs and again in 10 days again. I'll come bearing pictures later
default_smile.png

Update for you all
default_smile.png

Magic is out with the other mini's currently. He hasn't made any 'friends' and they tend to rather chase him off than befriend him. Remi has taken up with him, but Magic only tolerates him so long.

The cough has almost completely dissipated. He has a "click" in his respiratory when he walks. Almost like clicking the roof of your mouth with your tongue (if that makes sense). I've done some reading on DDSP and wonder if that's a possibility. Got his dose of Strongid this afternoon as well.

One thing I've noticed is this boy has a BIG stride. Whether at a trot or a canter/gallop. He's going to be a nice little driver in time!

https://youtu.be/DLrHvpYP_fc

Screenshot_20161025-130328.png

While this isn't Magic, here's the finished product of my costume for Coal.

14681688_10156174876407228_1466425474551240889_n.jpg

The vet sent me the invoice with her notes. She pegged him a 5/9 on the body scale. I didn't think he was that bad, but he has improved. She wants me to dose him with Strongid @250lbs and again in 10 days again. I'll come bearing pictures later
default_smile.png
5/9 is where you want him to be. 1 is emaciated, 5 is average, 9 is obese. So, 5 is just right; do your best to keep him right where he is; perhaps if he needs it work on conditioning (building muscle).

That was my thought. I always preferred a leaner Mini as opposed to the stereotypical larger (and overweight). I'd like to feel ribs less, but we're headed in the right direction at least. I would argue as well that all he really needs is muscle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have much in the way of updates this morning, but I'm going to trailer him and the other two over to the place I board at to do some driving work
default_smile.png

He's doing well and we're planning a re-evaluation on my mare and I'll see if the vet can peg the "clapping/flapping" in his throat/nostrils when he moves. He doesn't choke down so it doesn't quite fit DDSP, but I'm not sure what else it might be. He's unphased by said noise, which is always good
default_smile.png

I just got back from a vacation we booked last year and got back to give him some scratches and a quick picture for you guys
default_smile.png

14907042_10156221431477228_7152778219907110193_n.jpg

How about some quasi action shots from today(11/7)?...

He felt good. I have a feeling he isn't "meshing" with the herd too well as he antagonizes them a bit (aka cutting them off lol)

14976423_10156225010917228_323067932603759708_o.jpg

14976832_10156225009022228_7118120766112466339_o.jpg

^ Cutest little trot...

15025435_10156225008987228_1367956543726408357_o.jpg

He looks good. How is his wind after he has a good run?

He is a very endearing little fella.
Great! He's ready for more. No huffing or coughing.

Some from today. My folks introduced a new addition to the herd and everyone was quite excited.

DSC_0748.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

DSC_0754.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

Here's Remi and his new 'heart throb' mare named Whiskey

DSC_0791.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a small Christmas shoot with the mini's after everyone got their lovely locked treated to Manely and tail bags. Poor Magic's tail still isn't quite long enough for a tail bag just yet. However, he's grown quite a bit of mane!

I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to keep him at my folks place. My new job is where I board my horses. I'm hoping I can convince her to let me keep him there. He doesn't hang out with anyone and is often caught on the wrong end of a double barrel kick. Poor guy would feel like a leper if he were human.

However, he was third in line for pictures and the first to perk up at the sight of the camera.

magicmanxmas.png

My mom made an astute observation as the little guy tried to walk away from me with halter in tow. She made a suggestion that maybe he was "running" from the halter itself and not so much the person. With the hairs across his nose, I'm sure I wouldn't want a halter on my face either. He doesn't play a game of "catch me" he just walks until you control his body movement, huffs and "gives up."

He is very photogenic! Hope you can find a spot for him so he doesn't have to live in a leper colony. Have you observed the herd to try and figure out what they reject about him? Maybe you could put him with one horse for a while so they could make a bond and he could fit into a herd more easily.

He sure is, that teddy bear face
default_smile.png

I'm not entirely sure what "triggers" them other than perhaps he doesn't move with enough energy when they tell him to "move away." He's not in a hurry when they get ugly with him and I think that may be a factor. The slower he moves the more aggressive they seem to be to him. He doesn't fight back. However, I did observe him being his version of ugly (nipping at his face with non-existent ears) to Remi for what appeared to be no reason other than perhaps an invasion of his personal space.

The plan is to separate him with Savannah or Remi once we get another run-in built so we can soak hay and offer beet pulp. Currently we have one run-in that was built for the big horses. So until we get a run-in for inclement weather we have to keep them together. Willow (formally known as Whiskey) is leaving for the boarding facility in the next week, which will help. She's the one who pinned him against the fence and tried to double-barrel him. Generally we don't have an issue integrating mares and geldings together with just an occasional spat... Magic just seems to torque everyone off with his "I'm not in a hurry" disposition.

He really does look great. Very handsome in his holiday duds.

Some seem to just be the "low man". I have one that is very dominant around people but gets the stuffing knocked out of him if he is turned out with someone so he has to be out alone.

Have you been able to work with him in harness at all?

Latest posts

Back