An Auction Gelding's Tale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the vet bears good news too
default_smile.png

He's doing well and enjoying himself. We're working on 'catching' at the moment. He'll stand still if you walk up empty handed, but if you come out with a halter, he politely (as polite as this rude habit can be lol) start to walk away and make a very vague effort to avoid you catching him. So what I've been doing is taking a couple carrots out with me. I'll walk toward him with the halter in hand and while most of the time he walks off, he doesn't go very far anymore. He'll stop and look at me with a "Do I haveta?" kind of look on his face ;)

He IS super cute, I absolutely agree with that hehe. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow to share with you all
default_smile.png
My Powerpac should be here within the next couple of days as well.

These are from the other day though!

9fba85ed-a60b-433f-b6b4-15892d3357a3.jpg

He asks "Do you have cookies?"

DSC_0067.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He's really coming into his character and a riot. Vet had to reschedule for the 17th. Came to find out the mare Magic was trailered briefly with came up sick. Snotty nose and a cough. Keep your fingers crossed Magic still stays clear of any ailments!

20160928_162011.jpg

Still eating well and his mood is still great. Albeit a little snarky at times. I guess it is safe to say he's had enough time to detox to share his opinion of things ;)

Maintaining a normal temperature of 99.7 (Day before yesterday) and 99.6 yesterday. So no symptom's still, hoping it stays that way. He does have an old scab under his jaw and a little bit of a uniform (soft/fleshy) pouch that follows between his jaws down. Nothing sensitive, hot or hurting. Contemplated scheduling the vet sooner (if she could manage) but can't do much with a horse who isn't symptomatic. Always told my Mom I'm going to be a wreck when I have kids with all the worrying my animals do to me. I generally don't worry... much... but something as contagious and tedious as strangles, I'd rather err on the side of caution for sure!

Thanks for the update, I had been wondering how he was doing. Probably the snark is normal considering all the changes he has had. I used to know the incubation time for strangles but I've long since forgot. Is it two weeks?

I can't blame him for being snarky at all. I think I'd be pretty hissy with a p after everything he has been through for sure!

I've read it's typically 7 to 14 days, but in rare cases it can go as long as three weeks or more.

Thank you! We appreciate the crossed fingers (and toes)!

I tried to add the picture via upload, but it was too large. Here is from today staring up at us.

20161003_141856.jpg

He's such a cheeky little guy! I have never met a horse so eager to take wormer... He literally mouths the wormer...

Just found your post.

Great story, cute little guy, and can't wait to hear the next installment.

Magic continues to settle, eat, drink, and graze happily. His attitude is pleasant and happy (which makes me happy). He likes to "supervise" my manure scooping skills on a daily basis ;) Hubby loves how personal he is.

I set up a mini (heh) jump the day before yesterday that was maybe 12" and he was more than happy to trot alongside and jump. He seems intrigued by his activities. With an intelligent eye I imagine he likes to be challenged.

I had an unexpected vet visit in our dog department. Holly, our Sheltie, stuck her nose somewhere it didn't belong and ended up with a swollen snout and multiple bumps that start to "bleed" (but not ooze) yesterday. So we've got her on antibiotics now and she's one cranky pup when it comes to putting neosporin on her nose, poor girl.

Going out this morning to give Magic some hay he cleared his nostrils and blew a yellow wad of snot about a tablespoon worth (most hit the ground) from the left nostril only. Still isn't showing a fever or any symptoms, but I suspect a potential upper respiratory issue. I have a call in with the equine vet to see if she can see him earlier than the 17th. Came out of one nostril and the other is dry, so I'm not sure what to think... All I know is I'm fried from worrying about Holly and I've been hoping we don't get a proverbial time bomb with Magic, so my anxiety is a bit rampant.
default_thumbdown.gif

snott.jpg

It looks a bit opaque in the picture, but he was more interested in eating my phone than sitting still for a quick picture.

Spoke to thensure vet. Without a fever she isn't worried. Especially since it was only one nostril. She suggested some Benadryl and to notify if a fever arises.

That is an oogy looking nose and not one I would want to give a kiss to today! Sounds like you are doing everything right. What the vet said is reassuring. I won't uncross the fingers until the incubation period is well past.

Sorry for the lack of updates :/

Magic is doing well and has his visit with the vet this afternoon. He has still maintained a lovely appetite and still no abnormalities in temperature. I'll share our findings/updates this evening
default_smile.png

He helped me with my costume test fitting this morning for this weekend. My second collar I've made. The first ended up in the trash and an utter failure lol. He likely won't make the debut (more likely will be Coal) but who knows
default_smile.png
Pics will follow too!

14680488_10156154966637228_8693696312843873526_n.jpg

Good news today. Took his vaccines like a champ and the vet did an eval. She pegged him (visually) as younger based on those cute little ears and his high pitch neigh. Checking out his teeth she suggested he was 12-15 years old, so not nearly as aged as I thought. Will need his teeth done, which she didn't have time for (and it wasn't scheduled).

I explained his cough and offered to hook him up to the harness to show her. She explained that a horse with a heavy parasite infestation it wasn't uncommon to make its way to the lungs (round worms per her remark). I have a horrible habit of not asking for more information so I just said "Ok" and she said it would eventually dissipate. I explained he'd already been on the Powerpac and she was pleased with that. She felt comfortable in saying he could go out with the other guys and just monitor them. Trailering seemed to flare up his cough, but it's a very dry cough, almost sounds like a human cough. I'm still at a bit of a loss with his cough, but I think I'll go about soaking his hay and see how he fairs as well as some Ivermectin.

Thanks for the update!

When I've had a new horse with a parasite load, seems like I remember worming, then waiting a couple of weeks and doing it again. Maybe that gets more of the encysted strongyles??

The cough is worrisome. Maybe the issue with his teeth is causing fiber to lodge in the back of his throat and he has to cough to move it around? Hopefully it will clear up as he gets healthier. I was given a 20 year old mare a few years ago whose back teeth were so bad they were poking into her sinus. The equine dentist was shocked. I wondered if she'd ever had her teeth looked at in her life.

Latest posts

Back