Please Delete! Thank you!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going through this right now with a mare I bought for driving. One day she is fine, the next day she has locking stifles. She is free to roam, not stalled, and one day she's fine, the next she's locked. What to do? A mare is harder to do something with than a stallion/.gelding. She cannot stay here, as I only keep two horses and they must both be working horses. She proved she does not like to work in harness. I think I've found her a pet home. $$$ down the drain, except to what is chalked up to experience.

This locking stifle issue must be dealt with!! It is too much of a heartbreak to keep passing the buck. Since I am her owner NOW, it is my responsibility to deal with it. My research and discussions with universities and vets is that the surgery is not often totally successful.

I think the surgery does work, it just is not a "cure all" and it sometimes is not immediate- I am not sure if Leia had Kody operated on twice, I know she was not too happy with the fist "job" done- where is she we need her input!

I have a '02 mare.. Given to me from the breeder as a weanling and she already had the surgery done before I got her. I still own the mare, she is quite beautiful and is actually a really nice mover. When I got her she locked up a couple times before reaching a yearling and I would back her to put it back in place. Now, as a 10 year old she has no ill effects. However, she isn't used for anything specific and that includes never breeding. I have kept her on a joint supplement since I got her. She is also never stalled except an emergency (bad weather / hurricanes).

Good luck, always the best wishes.

I just wanted to make a comment to any of you who believe your horse has a locked stifle to PLEASE have the vet check it. I have had a mare for three years now. She is 7 and has never shown me any clicking or odds steps or anything of that nature in fact I was planning on having her trained for driving as i love the way she moves. i have had enough horses with stifle problems and saw the little signs that were pointing that way for them. This mare showed me nothing but one morning I went out and she was completely locked. I tried backing her up she almost fell over and the leg never bent. I tried to massage her stifle and she tried to bite me which really shocked me as shes a very very sweet girl. I gave her a shot of banamine for two days in a row and then off to the vet we went because she was dragging her leg around and didnt seem to be able to unlock it. The vet said "no this is not a locked stifle but an injury and she cannot bend it because it is extremely painful". She also said the knee cap was in the correct position and that there was lots of swelling around it. She gave her Ace and Banamine by IV and by the time I unloaded her at home she was starting to walk normal (but gingerly) again. I had to continue the Ace for another two days and the banamine another 5 days and then switched to a week of Equioxx. I do understand that locking stifles is genetic but please please please just because it looks like a locked stifle does not mean that that is what it actually is. Please have it checked even if you think you know. I knew it was a locked stifle... only took her in because I thought she would have to have surgery to unlock... I was very wrong and feel horrible for making her wait to get relief.

Just my opinion here but since the breeder has offered to take him back in exchange for another, I would do that. At least she is standing behind her horses and I think doing what is right. And who knows, you may end up with something that just knocks your socks off? I have seen the stifle problem passed on from a parent, more than once on other farms, and yet, they kept breeding the guilty parties!! So I also thinks it is genetic and from poor conformation.... I would take him back and trade for something that is going to work for what you intended in the first place.

We have decided to take him back He has been examined by the vet and we priced surgry at $150-$200 with no promises. As much as it breaks my heart to send him back I believe its whats best for my breeding program. We've decided there isnt anything for sale right now that really "grabs" us so we're waiting to see the 2013 foals. Our credit is indefinet so who knows what we could find! Ill miss him, but he wont work for the breeding end.

I think you have made a wise decision. Sorry it didnt work out, but at least you have another option.

Latest posts

Back