Dapper Dan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry for your loss.
I did not expect to see this update this morning.
{{{HUGS}}}

Marsha,
I have been away for a week and I don't want to believe what I have read. My heart aches reading your post and I'm crying with you. This was so close to me losing Hershey that all my emotions are raw. Dapper Dan knows how much you love him. I'm so sorry for your loss.

No help for Dan, but it would be interesting to hear if he had 24 hour access to water, and did any children have an easter egg hunt in his pasture?

Losing a horse, or any other four footed family member is almost always an emotional issue, and we each grieve and approach it in our own way. Asking legitimate questions is part of the process for some of us, indeed most of us.

Part of the strength and beauty of this community is being able to both ask and answer, knowing that the love of the horse, donkey, mule, is always the driving force behind our search. I have done plenty of asking and responding myself and have also gained much from the questions others have asked.

I love this community and think of us as neighbors and friends, there is so much wisdom, heart, humor, and kindness here, may those qualities keep all of us learning and moving forward.

@Marsha Cassada, my whole heart is with you. I understand the incredible, unexpected grief that comes along with losing an old friend suddenly and without understanding what happened or why. Please give yourself the time you need to grieve and know you are surrounded by a community that grieves with you. I always enjoyed your accounts of Dapper Dan and felt inspired by your connection and relationship with him.
My best to you, my friend ❤️

No help for Dan, but it would be interesting to hear if he had 24 hour access to water, and did any children have an easter egg hunt in his pasture?
Yes, he always had access to fresh water. And it's possible some neighbor children gave him something. When the horses are down behind the pond they are sort of close to a rural road. I hope to hear something today about more tests that are being done. Billy is not as likely to let a strange child come up to him; he is lonesome, but doing fine.
If I had just gone out and found him dead, without being able to say goodbye, it would have been worse than his head in my lap at the equine hospital.

Yes, he always had access to fresh water. And it's possible some neighbor children gave him something. When the horses are down behind the pond they are sort of close to a rural road. I hope to hear something today about more tests that are being done. Billy is not as likely to let a strange child come up to him; he is lonesome, but doing fine.
If I had just gone out and found him dead, without being able to say goodbye, it would have been worse than his head in my lap at the equine hospital.

That was me clutching at straws. Apparently lactase is produced in the mammalian small intestine, and abnormal levels are supposed to be a defect of old-age, so that's some thing. The sadness fades, sooner or later.

That was me clutching at straws. Apparently lactase is produced in the mammalian small intestine, and abnormal levels are supposed to be a defect of old-age, so that's some thing. The sadness fades, sooner or later.
Interesting that the lactase could have just been the result of his age. Nothing definitive about what caused it. One of those "sometimes these things just happen" responses. I am sad. Seeing his bridle, his halter, his fly mask--but I am also angry. I know that is a normal grief response, but I need to work through it.
Another idea I had was the Adequan he has been on for several years. All the research I did, and asking vets, said there were no side effects. But I have to wonder.
Meanwhile, Billy is doing fine and I am seeing some personality changes since Dapper Dan is no longer there to boss him around.

My mini Lady, age 28, died almost 3 years ago and I still miss her daily. When I go the barn and see her halter, her name on her stall door or even look into the back yard I still feel her presence. My grief for her use to be almost unbearable. For months, I wondered if I could have done something differently to change the situation that ultimately led me to having her euthanized. I came to realize that I would never know all the answers to my questions regarding the onset and rapid decline of her health. So, I just let it go. Now, when I think of her every morning on my way out to the barn, I recognize the sorrow has lessened and I am able to replace my sad thoughts with fond memories of our time together. It takes time, but you'll get there.

Marsha, I am just seeing this and wanted to extend my heartfelt condolences. Our animals become to be as close as family and losing them is never easy. 💔 Prayers for you all as you adjust to life without your sweet Dapper Dan.

Interesting that the lactase could have just been the result of his age. Nothing definitive about what caused it. One of those "sometimes these things just happen" responses. I am sad. Seeing his bridle, his halter, his fly mask--but I am also angry. I know that is a normal grief response, but I need to work through it.
Another idea I had was the Adequan he has been on for several years. All the research I did, and asking vets, said there were no side effects. But I have to wonder.
Meanwhile, Billy is doing fine and I am seeing some personality changes since Dapper Dan is no longer there to boss him around.

I notice on Adequan and Legend - Healing Your Horse's Joints — Irongate Equine Clinic

"Adequan is a polysulfated glycosaminoglycan. It is utilized by the cartilage matrix of the joint and also affects the Hyaluronic Acid (HA) concentrations in the joint significantly increasing from 24 through 96 hours. Adequan is incorporated directly into the cartilage where it helps with the compression capabilities of the joint. It has been shown to help heal and aid in the long term health of articular cartilage."

... "Historically, Adequan was started with a loading dose of one 5cc IM injection every four days for 28 days, for a total of seven treatments, and then once a month. Now, the recommendation is to do the seven “loading dose” treatment twice a year. The reasoning behind this change is that the cumulative effect is greater by doing the two pulses rather than doing a smaller amount on a monthly basis."
"A single Adequan dose can range in price from $40 bought in bulk, to $100 when including injection fees from your veterinarian."

I cannot see any report on adverse effects of this kind. It's a stretch to find even a slight hint of a link between glycosamino compounds and diabetes in humans; even that is a stretch, as I say. I can say that is a powerful price for maintenance medication - so you were trying your best and I expect the dose is prorated to body weight.

I notice on Adequan and Legend - Healing Your Horse's Joints — Irongate Equine Clinic

"Adequan is a polysulfated glycosaminoglycan. It is utilized by the cartilage matrix of the joint and also affects the Hyaluronic Acid (HA) concentrations in the joint significantly increasing from 24 through 96 hours. Adequan is incorporated directly into the cartilage where it helps with the compression capabilities of the joint. It has been shown to help heal and aid in the long term health of articular cartilage."

... "Historically, Adequan was started with a loading dose of one 5cc IM injection every four days for 28 days, for a total of seven treatments, and then once a month. Now, the recommendation is to do the seven “loading dose” treatment twice a year. The reasoning behind this change is that the cumulative effect is greater by doing the two pulses rather than doing a smaller amount on a monthly basis."
"A single Adequan dose can range in price from $40 bought in bulk, to $100 when including injection fees from your veterinarian."

I cannot see any report on adverse effects of this kind. It's a stretch to find even a slight hint of a link between glycosamino compounds and diabetes in humans; even that is a stretch, as I say. I can say that is a powerful price for maintenance medication - so you were trying your best and I expect the dose is prorated to body weight.
Economically, it was not bad at all. The initial $335 package lasted him over a year. The pharmacy company consulted with my vet about the dosage size and we injected it ourselves, probably every other month or so. If I saw he was inclined to drag a foot, we gave him a dose. Usually within a day his movement would improve. He's been on Adequan for 4-5 years. Initially, the vet injected it into the joint. That lasted quite a while. Then we went for the maintenance dose. My main consideration was shelf life, but the vet said if stored properly the shelf life was extended. For a big horse, the cost would certainly be a consideration.

Latest posts

Back