Jeffrey’s update.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6/28
I worked with Jeffrey on lungeing and backing up. I did get him to jog with me a couple of times. I'm happy about that.
I can now walk to him in my big area and catch him. He does move away at first, then he'll stop and let me halter him. I'm exited about that.😁
He has become our morning alarm. I normally feed 6 -6:30. He brays about 5:45 as if to say I'm waiting, you have 15 minutes to get out here🤣

My hubby, not a horse person, just likes to feed the carrots to the minis. Known to the minis as the carrot guy. I'm happy to report that he was able to approach Jeffrey without any carrots, and no halter or lead to pet him for the first time. I had to encourage hubby to try again and on the 2nd approach Jeffrey stood still. I was so happy and so was hubby 🥰

8/21
Jeffrey let me pick up and hold his front hooves today. 🙂 Not once but 2x! Can you tell how happy I am about that😝 He now will walk up to me. super excited about that. I walked him outside on our short road today. First time a car has passed. I lunged him, at a walk. I can't seem to keep him to jog.🙂 When I walk him and try to have him jog, must be a funny site. I feel like a cartoon character🤣 It was a nice day for Jeffrey and I

Wow! When I think back to your first posts on meeting Jeffrey to now, what terrific progress! Jeffrey is just blooming under your care. 💐

Does he still come to your door looking for you? 😍

You and I have must have the same look in trying to jog our donkeys. 🤣

Wow! When I think back to your first posts on meeting Jeffrey to now, what terrific progress! Jeffrey is just blooming under your care. 💐

Does he still come to your door looking for you? 😍

You and I have must have the same look in trying to jog our donkeys. 🤣
@MaryFlora thank you. You know what I'm saying about jogging with donkeys🙃

Once he gets it, he'll get it! Congratulations with all of your success! That's so exciting.
Phillippe and I showed in showmanship last weekend at a fair show. The pattern was not drawn or described well (in my opinion, the judge was not prepared or very good at managing the ring, but I digress...) but we came in 5th/11. Phillippe is very good at telling me when I'm not in the right position to be doing showmanship, when the donkey comes out. But when I'm in the right spot, we have no trouble trotting, walking or halting.

Bit of advice, you cannot pull them into trot (donkey style!!) Trot has to come from behind. So your big arm extender works here. Donkey lead in your right hand, arm extender in your left hand so you get the feeling of pushing forward with your rope and encouraging from behind with your left hand. You'll both find the balance from there.
Keep sharing your progress! We're cheering for you!!!

Thank you for the tip Standard Equine! You are so right! I absolutely have not been able to pull or coax Maddie from the front end into a jog. 🤣

Would a buggy whip work as extender? It is long enough to tap if needed and very lightweight.

@MaryFlora and @HersheyMint My pleasure! Yes, a buggy whip would likely work, perhaps a little long. I use dressage whips because I have them in large amounts... seems I might collect whips like people collect saddle pads. I used "arm extender" because some people don't like the concept of whips, but understand about being able to reach to connect with different parts of the animal. A carrot stick could work just as well - without the lash.

Latest posts

Back