Jeffrey’s update.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had Jeffrey since April 11th. We are becoming friends. :D I still leave the halter on. I don't think I could catch him otherwise. He let's me walk up, give him scratches from behind and then I move up to his neck and most of the time I can catch him that way. For the first time yesterday I was able to catch him in my big area. Yay! He leads and ties well for not being handled much in the last years. He stands still while grooming until I get to his legs. He will pick up his fronts and pull away and today he acted like he may was trying to bite. For his hind legs, I can brush above the hock, anything further he moves away. Today for the first time he did a kick warning, as if to say don't think about it! The farrier was scheduled for image0.jpegtoday but his helper was sick and he wants his help. So we re scheduled for next week. I have a week to make some progress🤞 For now I do small walks, walking close to him, he wants me at arms lengths away:) You think I smell?🤣 and lots of scratches and rubs. I can't wait for the day when he will walk up to me☺️
I plan on having the vet out for a health check after his hooves are done.

Last edited:
Lovely work! You should feel very proud of yourself for what you've accomplished already! And once he's feeling comfortable around people, you're going to find a very affectionate and social donkey. It's really fun when they come out of their shells.
Thank you. I'm thankful for whoever did the prior training I think I'm refreshing his memory.:) I'm also waiting for him to greet me with a bray.
He has only brayed 2x at feeding. Both times it scared Mint😂

Today was farrier day for Jeffrey. I did give him calming paste to start off. Jeffrey didn't want anything to do with the farrier. So he tied him and with his helper on the opposite side they were able to get it done. He use a rope around the fetlock for his hind legs. He kick out one time. That was scary, came close to his head. So glad to have him trimmed up. Good news is he said his hooves are in good shape for being uncared for for so long.

I sat in Jeffrey's pen and waited for him to come to me. I did have a carrot waiting. It took about 10 minutes before he decided he would come over. As soon as I stood up he moved way but I was able to walk to him and put the lead on. I groomed him and worked with him standing still. I walked outside the fenced area for the first time but only for about 3 minutes 😂

I worked with Jeffrey, taking his halter on and off twice today. I had a halter around his neck as I removed his. I rubbed and brushed his cute face as much as he would let me. He turn his head most of the time. When I went to put it back on the first time he pulled away but I did get back on. The 2nd time was a tiny bit easier.
I can now run my hands down his front legs without him moving. I’m taking/making donkey steps😂

I worked with Jeffrey, taking his halter on and off twice today. I had a halter around his neck as I removed his. I rubbed and brushed his cute face as much as he would let me. He turn his head most of the time. When I went to put it back on the first time he pulled away but I did get back on. The 2nd time was a tiny bit easier.
I can now run my hands down his front legs without him moving. I’m taking/making donkey steps😂
"Donkey steps"! What a great saying. I like that better than baby steps!

2 days ago I removed Jeffrey's halter. I had all 3 out in the big area and he won't let me near if I have a halter in hand. Even without anything in hand he still is weary of me. Thankfully he walks in the corral for lock up at feeding time.
The following morning he lets me rub and give scratches before feeding with no halter in hand.
Today's plan was to leave him in the corral as I let the the minis out in the big lot. He was not happy and paced. He would not let me near. I sat with him for about 10 minutes and approached him again. Nope, not happening. I left and came back an hour later and started over. Within 15 minutes I was able to catch and halter him. 🙂 I took him for a short walk in the area and took the halter off.
1.5 hours later, he was in the corral, so I shut the gate and tried again. Within 20 minutes I was able to halter and release him twice. I'm so happy to have the halter off. Knowing I can catch him, even if we go around a few times in his corral, is a huge for me.

As long as you keep him with other horses, he doesn't need you. Single pen, no contact with other horses, get a chair and sit and read a book. Have a snack for him. Sit on the ground, walk aaround, inside the pen, lik you dont need him until he syarts following. Hand feed him hay. Lots if options to earn his trust. Carry a brush, sing a song. Have fun. I know it is very frustrating.. but d9nr chase him. Just follow him walk slow talk soft until he stops. I have a hard to catch mare and that works for me. Good luck have fun.

@HersheyMint CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You're really getting it! It's got to be his idea and he's got to know he's safe. And you're finding a way for him to make those decisions on his own with all the grace and patience in the world. He's SO FORTUNATE to have landed in your home.
🥰Thank you. This is a learning experience for both of us and I sure do appreciate that I can ask you for info. If only Phillippe could talk to Jeffrey and take a few lessons from him.🤣

Last edited:
You are doing a wonderful job with Jeffrey and he is a fortunate donkey!

Your experience reminds me of my first year with Madelaine. She came with three of her mini horse friends and was definitely not impressed. 😂

I learned more about the value of patience and she learned I knew where to scratch her. 😂

I tried lunging Jeffrey for the first time today. I think some time in his past he has done this before. Good for me😁 We just walked for about 5 minutes but I’m so pleased with him. I also tried picking up his front hoof. A lot more work to do with that. Ended with lots of love, scratches and carrots.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.mov
    37.3 MB

Latest posts

Back