Billy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides my dil, who is a barefoot trimmer, I took Billy over to a neighbor today who had her farrier out. I wanted to get another opinion on Billy's hooves. He agreed about them being too long, but whereas my dil wants us to bring the toes back slowly--rather like trimming a dog's nails to make the quick recede--this guy says he would use the nippers an cut off the toes.
This seems extreme to me. I am opting for the slower process. Now, if I can only convince my current trimmer to cooperate. If he will not, I will consider changing trimmers.
My dil lives in British Columbia now. We had a phone conference.

Besides my dil, who is a barefoot trimmer, I took Billy over to a neighbor today who had her farrier out. I wanted to get another opinion on Billy's hooves. He agreed about them being too long, but whereas my dil wants us to bring the toes back slowly--rather like trimming a dog's nails to make the quick recede--this guy says he would use the nippers an cut off the toes.
This seems extreme to me. I am opting for the slower process. Now, if I can only convince my current trimmer to cooperate. If he will not, I will consider changing trimmers.
My dil lives in British Columbia now. We had a phone conference.

I tried quite hard to find an authority for a gradual trim method, rather than what Marsha calls the usual "extreme" method. I found one situation, where the hooves are overgrown and curled in a scroll. A Sawzall is sometimes used - but other farriers cut back the scrolled hoof in sections to guard against cutting an invasive blood vessel.

Hard to tell from this photo, perhaps. This is left fore. My dil suggests hoof knife/rasping the front 1/3 of the hoof, every 3 weeks. This is the gradual way to force the toe shorter.
The farrier yesterday wants to use nippers and cut off the toe about 1 1/2 inches. He says it won't hurt a thing and the horse wouldn't even be tender.
The "long" toe is from last fall's green grass. The tighter part is from winter grass. My goal is to keep him on dry lot through the spring grass time, at least. His extra weight is not helping. Hope we can get the toe shorter. Back toes are long also.
He is trimmed every 4 weeks. I'm just not sure my regular trimmer-guy is on top of this.

Attachments

• march front hooves.jpg
    march front hooves.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 0
They don't look too bad to me. I've seen some pretty drastic changes made and the horse seemed to get immediate relief. The way I understand it is that the gradual method keeps stretching things out in there, so instead of a trim and then relief you get a gradual change, all the while the stresses are still on the hoof.

They don't look too bad to me. I've seen some pretty drastic changes made and the horse seemed to get immediate relief. The way I understand it is that the gradual method keeps stretching things out in there, so instead of a trim and then relief you get a gradual change, all the while the stresses are still on the hoof.
Interesting!

I should also say that if my horses feet looked that long at 4 weeks I would be very suspicious of my farrier not doing what he is supposed to do. My mare grows like crazy, she would probably look similar at 8 weeks, but her growth is pretty even from toes to heels. Which is fun because she needs to be on a 6 week schedule and everyone else can go 8 weeks.

I should also say that if my horses feet looked that long at 4 weeks I would be very suspicious of my farrier not doing what he is supposed to do. My mare grows like crazy, she would probably look similar at 8 weeks, but her growth is pretty even from toes to heels. Which is fun because she needs to be on a 6 week schedule and everyone else can go 8 weeks.
Yes, I have mentioned it for several times and he keeps trying to tell me it is appropriate for the angle. And I get this spiel about wild horses and barrel horses blah blah blah. Billy has nothing to do with those horses, so I'm not sure why he goes on about them. But he is temperamental and does not like to be criticized. Trimmers do not grow on trees, so I have always done my best to get along with him. Dapper Dan used to grow heel and had to be watched so he wasn't walking "on coffee cans". Billy has different feet. Difference between white and dark hooves???? Anyway, my sister is going to help me. An if my trimmer isn't receptive, I will move on.

It's hard to find a good farrier, and 90% of them are temperamental. I like the one I have now, but he doesn't like to do minis, so the first thing I need to find out before I get one is how good is it for the farrier? If it's even a little difficult I have to pass because I don't want him to quit. My mare tried to sit on him this last time, but she gets a free pass because she was having a bout of laminitis apparently.

I exaggerated the 1 1/2". Didn't have a ruler; he just indicated where he would nip and it looked drastic. I'm thinking the whole problem is my trimmer isn't doing his hooves correctly. Now I need to deal with it.

They each grow in their own way. It's hard to say what's appropriate without a side view at the pastern angle and how it comes from the hoof wall. The angle should match. Sometimes that means the heel should be pretty low, sometimes the hoof needs to be far more upright.

If you post a good picture of the hoof flat on the ground, from square on the side and from the back of it I'm sure you will get some critiques. To me they look a little long but nothing crazy, but it's tough to tell from those pictures.

Been out of town for nearly a week. Hubby kept an eye on Billy; I left him out in the pasture to make it easier. Gave him a good brush today and checked his feet. I think they are looking better; I whisked the rasp down on the toe, but will not interfere with any sole work.
I think he was glad to see me; especially the scritches.

Been out of town for nearly a week. Hubby kept an eye on Billy; I left him out in the pasture to make it easier. Gave him a good brush today and checked his feet. I think they are looking better; I whisked the rasp down on the toe, but will not interfere with any sole work.
I think he was glad to see me; especially the scritches.
I'm sure he was 😍

Latest posts

Back