PlayTime Minis - Finished for 2013; See you in 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drats, I thought for sure it would be last night...I think for some circumstances they induce....Renee I believe had it done for her mare I think. but I think its not something want to do usually. Im sure Renee can explain more.

Yes Heidi, mares can be induced as long as their milk is testing ready.
default_smile.png

Thank you Renee. I'll try to get pictures today but it's dark and raining. Nothing happening.

I think it's going to be very soon. She's dripping milk (colustrum?) and her bag is enormous. I turned her out for a while but she didn't really want to graze. She just stood under her favorite pine tree so I just put her back in her stall. I'm heading back out to the barn and plan to spend the night with her. I hope it's tonight. I already have a name picked out in honor of my beloved grandmother.

Here's some photos:

2013june7thsweetie 001.JPG

2013june7thsweetie 002.JPG

Super Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Happy Safe Foaling and do keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Cant wait to hear the special name giving homage to your Grandmother!!!!!! Oh Im so excited as Im sure you are too!!!!

Very excited but she's so tiny - 30" and I worry but I have her BFF mares cheering her on so hope that helps. If anyone wants to venture a guess on color??? She's bred to black and white tobiano. Color chart is saying either black roan tobiano, blue roan tobiano or black so it will be interesting to see what color this foal happens to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is she doing? She looks VERY ready!! Is she a maiden? I cant remember.... I am sending prayers for a safe and easy foaling! Hope its tonight
default_smile.png

She looks ready to go!! Yes you need to be right alongside her from now on until she foals. Dont worry too much about her size, the small mares always seen to look bigger in their tummies than the bigger ones do, anyway a good proportion of that tummy is probably 'water' protecting the foal.

Wishing you good luck and saying prayers for a safe smooth foaling.
default_yes.gif

She'll do fine....I know its easy for me to say...I understand your concern. Peanut is 28Scarlet was very tiny but Cam wasn't tiny at all..and now hes my biggest mini.

Well, I have news....the FILLY fairy visited Sweetie last night.
default_new_multi.gif
default_517.gif
Don't know what color she is but she's beautiful. She's lighter than the photos as it is dark and raining here. She has a black dorsal stripe down her back too. All went well and it was an easy birth. Baby is just learning the nursing and Sweetie is a great Mom. More pictures later but I wanted them to have some privacy and settle in together.
default_517.gif
I am more than thrilled!!!!!

2013june8thsweetiefoal 009-001.JPG

Sara, shes beautiful and I cant wait to see her little dorsal stripe. What time did she have it? Please, you know I want lots of details and more pictures!! When you have time of course b/c we all know where all your attention will be today. Congratulations!!

I need help. Filly is having trouble nursing. Sweetie is being a good mom but when baby grabs her nipple, Sweetie squeals and jumps away. She's acting like a new human Mom does when they first realize nursing in the beginning is kind of painful. How involved do I get and when do I get involved and what do I do? I'm trying not to bother them so they can bond. Advice please from Nursery Nannies!!!

Have you given the mare a little dose of banamine to make her more comfortable? Start there, especially if she has had any banamine.

I honestly can't remember the exact time frame, but do know its important to get colostrum into the foal with in a few hours; so you may need to milk the mare and give the milk to the foal by syringe (no needle of course, and very slowly so she doesn't choke). I'm pretty sure I saw directions on the LB info pages on how to make a little mare milker (it works great) to make milking the mare easier: http://www.lilbeginnings.com/info/breeding2/ (top of the page). Hopefully, one of the more experienced aunties will come on and give you the time frames for the important milestones.

Almost forgot: Congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back